What can happen if you run your Zed on 95 Ron.....

glrnet

Im thinking of getting a postal remap done by abbey, they are doing a 95 octane map , I'm guessing they will be changing the detonation ? Will this affect the performance of the car ? I'm guessing so .

Yes the idea is that the timing and a few other parameters are backed off to stop the det you get running 95RON as standard. You will lose a small amount of power. Abbey will be able to advise better. Usually if you have it done on the dyno you will get an exact map for your car, so they can get a bit more power (or rather get it back closer to stock power on 98RON), but a postal map will need to be more conservative from what I understand, so you may lose a bit more.

For the cost of the remap why not just run it on Super Unleaded and save the hassle?

forgive me for being stupid but, if, like me, 95 has been used and the car has been hammered, am i screwed or if I use Vpower like i am currently, going forward, i'll be ok?

Time will tell ;)

This whole issue with running a car on a lower grade fuel does humor me somewhat. In the filler cap & manual of every car it stats, to fill the car with premium 98ron fuel. Surely theres a good reason for this. :bang:

If you want to drive around in a 3.5ltr V6 with a bit of performance then why tighten your pockets on £2-£3 by filling it up with the wrong fuel, it`s not as if it`s some eco bluemotion oil burner :shrug:

It`s like the whole tyre issue, some owners put the cheapest budget tyres on a car & expect it to drive on rails....

forgive me for being stupid but, if, like me, 95 has been used and the car has been hammered, am i screwed or if I use Vpower like i am currently, going forward, i'll be ok?

Time will tell ;)

This whole issue with running a car on a lower grade fuel does humor me somewhat. In the filler cap & manual of every car it stats, to fill the car with premium 98ron fuel. Surely theres a good reason for this. :bang:

If you want to drive around in a 3.5ltr V6 with a bit of performance then why tighten your pockets on £2-£3 by filling it up with the wrong fuel, it`s not as if it`s some eco bluemotion oil burner :shrug:

It`s like the whole tyre issue, some owners put the cheapest budget tyres on a car & expect it to drive on rails....

+1 :thumbs:

The problem is that there was a time (probably about 10yrs ago now) when cars said to run on Super in the filler cap, but they could safely be run on 95RON. At that time, you'd get good performance from 95RON (that stated performance in the manual), and with Super you'd get a bit more. People still assume this is ok but as we've seen with the Zed, even the @*!# fuel map does not wind back enough timing to stop doing damage above 5kRPM. Its only now that people are really coming around to the idea that its not only losing you power, but also very damaging to the engine :surrender::headhurt:

The problem a lot of new Zed owners now have is that the previous owners have run on 95RON and already done the damage :scare:

The problem a lot of new Zed owners now have is that the previous owners have run on 95RON and already done the damage :scare:

Bingo, and this is why I'm having to keep a 'new pistons' fund sitting around just in case, and realistically I'll probably go for a bottom-end rebuild before too much longer. It's just not nice not knowing what state the pistons are in :dry:

The previous owner was very open about having run it on 95 for the last 6 months of his ownership, so it seems that despite the obvious warnings people see it as more of a recommendation than a necessity.

DB

Disclaimer: I didn't know 95 was THIS bad for the engine when I bought the car, or i would have walked away.

Bingo, and this is why I'm having to keep a 'new pistons' fund sitting around just in case, and realistically I'll probably go for a bottom-end rebuild before too much longer. It's just not nice not knowing what state the pistons are in :dry:

The previous owner was very open about having run it on 95 for the last 6 months of his ownership, so it seems that despite the obvious warnings people see it as more of a recommendation than a necessity.

DB

Disclaimer: I didn't know 95 was THIS bad for the engine when I bought the car, or i would have walked away.

I like to see it as an opportunity. If/when the engine begins giving up, you have a perfect reason to go and get a forged block with all the bits and pieces. There's always the good excuse of "It's cheaper than buying a 370z". :teeth:

My manual says to used at least 91 RON, it's 95 as standard here in the UK isnt it? I don't understand why 95 RON would present a problem, but obviously it does. No idea what my cars been ran on for the first 8 years of its life but looks like its time for Premium 98/99 from now on.

My manual says to used at least 91 RON, it's 95 as standard here in the UK isnt it? I don't understand why 95 RON would present a problem, but obviously it does. No idea what my cars been ran on for the first 8 years of its life but looks like its time for Premium 98/99 from now on.

manual states 97 ron

91 ron isn't correct, it's 91 AKI (Anti knock Index) which is the american rating.

My manual (American) states the use of 91 AKI fuel or higher, this translates to 96 RON (Research Octane Number) Hence why the UK says to use super unleaded (normally at 97 RON)

Well as its my car that started this thread I am pleased to report that the motor is nearly done and on its way back into the car. It would seem the damage was indeed done by the previous owner , I am looking forward to getting the beast back on the road, Abbey have done the rebuild and a fair few improvements along the way. Wiesco Forged pistons, all new bearings uprev oil pump etc. I planned run the car as a cold / wet weather substitute for my bike but after all this I am just going to just have to carry on, loads of carbon , paint job etc.. be rude not to really.....

Home from Iraq this week cant wait.

DF

Its ok to use 95RON so long as you drive like a granny.

Do you mean to say, that as long as you drive carefully you can fill it up with 95RON even if you're doing 15000miles a year??

also I heard that on motorway journeys you can fill up with 95RON and its ok. is this true?

cheers