What can happen if you run your Zed on 95 Ron.....

glrnet

Don't forget that although the ECU does not monitor knock over 5K RPM, if lower ron fuel is used and knock is detected up to 5K RPM, the ECU will pull timing and leave it there until no further knock is detected which will protect the engine, however I am not sure if the default knock table is present after 5K RPM.

Ekona - I'd not looked at it from that point of few, very fair point and makes total sense. Am I just worrying over nothing??!!

Ultimately any used car is a risk. Personally I'd casually ask the previous owner what fuel they used, and depending on their reply I would walk. If buying from a garage you don't have that luxury, so you just make sure that everything else on the car is fine and go for it.

I don't think you're worrying over nothing at all, your concerns are definitely valid, but as there's nothing you can realistically do I say just take a gamble and enjoy a great car. :)

Thank you sooo much for this thread !!! just came across it by accident.

i dont have the fuel cap sticker... when i read this opening post of ''dont use 95ron, or this will happen'' i swore out load and called the OP a rude name for spouting false propaganda.

then i read my manual.....:0

Thank you! My Zed doesnt know it yet, but its going to bit a little healthier for a little longer :)

dont ever un-pin this sticky!! lol.

Cheers

Pritchard

Edited by Pritchard
  • Like 1

Thank you sooo much for this thread !!! just came across it by accident.

i dont have the fuel cap sticker... when i read this opening post of ''dont use 95ron, or this will happen'' i swore out load and called the OP a rude name for spouting false propaganda.

then i read my manual.....:0

Thank you! My Zed doesnt know it yet, but its going to bit a little healthier for a little longer :)

dont ever un-pin this sticky!! lol.

Cheers

Pritchard

I'm sure I've been called worse!

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry lads but I'm very sceptical about this advice.

Here's what the owners manual actually says -

'Use unleaded premium petrol with an octane rating of 98 (RON). If premium petrol is not available, unleaded regular petrol with an octane rating of 91 (RON) may be temporarily used, but only under the following precautions:

- Have the fuel tank filled only partially with unleaded regular petrol as soon possible.

- Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt accelleration.

However, for maximum vehicle performance, the use of unleaded premium petrol is recommended.

CAUTION - Do not use leaded petrol. Using leaded petrol will damage the three way catalyst.'

It is clear that 98 is the optimum fuel to run the car on - that's a no brainer. But nowhere does it say you can't use 95 RON, in fact it doesn't even say you can only use 98 RON. It's only when you don't have 'Premium' (and note it doesn't say 98, it says premium) petrol that you have to apply some cautious treatment - 95 RON is a premium petrol.

Furthermore, my fuel filler cap says use Premium 95 Octane. 2003 model.

It appears from reading this thread that the whole situation is based on only one engine failure. Critically, that engine was running the wrong specification spark plugs - that is a huge issue in my opinion. It doesn't also say if there were any engine modifications to that car.

I do believe the tuners advice here and their findings in relation to knock but the key issue that is hard to prove is what actual damage is being done by running a standard car on 95. I suspect the only way is to pop the pistons out of a healthy car that has been running 95 all its life.

Like Delzor, I'm based in Ireland where there is no fuel above 95 Octane rating (RON) and we have been running these cars for over 10years here and I've yet to hear of an engine failure.

Can or worms opened your honour.

I'm sorry lads but I'm very sceptical about this advice.

'Use unleaded premium petrol with an octane rating of 98 (RON). If premium petrol is not available, unleaded regular petrol with an octane rating of 91 (RON)

may be temporarily used, but only under the following precautions:

- Have the fuel tank filled only partially with unleaded regular petrol as soon possible.

- Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt accelleration.

However, for maximum vehicle performance, the use of unleaded premium petrol is recommended.

CAUTION - Do not use leaded petrol. Using leaded petrol will damage the three way catalyst.'

• Like 1

'Use unleaded premium petrol with an octane rating of 98 (RON). If premium petrol is not available, unleaded regular petrol with an octane rating of 91 (RON)

91 RON? Wouldn't use that even if you could get it here.

Pete

Well, if you are confident, then run it on 95 then.

Perhaps the one engine failure prompted the others to sit up and take notice, hence it hasn't happened again.

Folks in Ireland don't have any choice unless they live close to the border. I'd like to hear their experiences.

Pete

Pete

I don't think that is 91 "RON" - i think its the equivalent standard for 95 RON but US which is 91 (something - can't remember what their code is)

Perhaps the one engine failure prompted the others to sit up and take notice, hence it hasn't happened again.

I have ran it on 95 for years, as have everyone else in Ireland and I'm sure there are many people elsewhere in the UK and the world that run them on 95 too, without issue. I think it quite unlikely that every 350Z owner has seen this thread and only run the cars on 98, so I severly doubt that this thread is the reason that engines aren't going pop everywhere.

I drove a 130k + mile Irish car 2 years ago that performed without issue, and that would have been ran on 95 its whole life. Never had engine work.

Pete

Agreed Pete.

Folks in Ireland don't have any choice unless they live close to the border. I'd like to hear their experiences.

Pete

I know a lot of the Z owners over here and there's nothing to report! No issues ...

Pete

I don't think that is 91 "RON" - i think its the equivalent standard for 95 RON but US which is 91 (something - can't remember what their code is)

There are various ways of measure Octane, RON is one of them and its what we use in Europe. If it says 91 RON, it is 91 RON.

In USA, they use AKI (Anti-Knock Index) This is the number that is posted on the gas station in the USA as "Octane". It is derived as (RON + MON)/2

Nah, never going to happen. Even if we had, y'know, photographic evidence of cemtimes going pop after using 95, someone will still call BS.

I mean, what are we thinking! The entire knowledge of owners and tuners over the course of nearly 12 years, what do we know?!

• Like 1

Pete

Lol, I read it very well - that advice is for low Octane 91 RON, not 95 RON.

It specifically states in the manual, use premium petrol (98 RON) and if unavailable use a minimum of 91 RON but don't do the certain things (which includes hard acceleration).

Not quite, you've interpreted that a little different. What it says, as I've quoted above, word for word, is that yes use 98 but if using 91 temporarily only then do you have to drive differently. It does not say or imply that 95 is not suitable! It is a 'premium' petrol.

Besides, it says on the petrol flap to use 95 and we've been doing that for over 10 years with no issues heard of.

Nah, never going to happen. Even if we had, y'know, photographic evidence of cemtimes going pop after using 95, someone will still call BS.

I mean, what are we thinking! The entire knowledge of owners and tuners over the course of nearly 12 years, what do we know?!

There are truths here in this thread but to think that 95 is doing damage to the engine is an over-reaction I believe.

I've only seen this thread, are there other threads on engine failures from 95 users?

Stuff (shortened for easy reading)

Well, it specifies 98 RON. It says 98 RON on UK petrol flaps (as far as I can remember, haven't owned one for a while). Maybe it's different for Irish cars because you cannot access 98 RON?

Edited by mouthwash

Stuff (shortened for easy reading)

Well, it specifies 98 RON. It says 98 RON on UK petrol flaps (as far as I can remember, haven't owned one for a while). Maybe it's different for Irish cars because you cannot access 98 RON?

Also, this only applies to DE/Rev Up 350s if I recall as the HR 350 and 370 have a better ECU to adjust to the fuel.

I know a lot of the Z owners over here and there's nothing to report! No issues ...

It's not just Zeds that require 98 RON, must be 10's, if not 100's of thousands of various cars in Ireland running around on 95 RON that should be running 98, makes you wonder :shrug:

Pete