Driving in the snow..

richiep350

• 11 months later...

Turn EVERYTHING off

Yep, including the engine, get a lift :thumbs:

I didn't get my winter tyres last year until after the worst of the snow, but the zed on the standard Bridgestones were BY FAR the worst car I have ever driven in the snow by a massive margain. Couldn't even pull away on clutch power alone (using no throttle) without spinning up the wheels. Didn't dare to turn off TC as I could barely drive in a straight line with it on, id end up on the roof if I turned it off!

Edited by cs2000

I drive in snow all the time with zed. Works same as all other cars only 1 thing diff.

The usual :

2nd gear take off and keep revs low

Dont brake round corners and when you do brake, gently tap. Try using gears to slow down aswell incase brakes cease

Main difference with rwd is, i find it easier to reverse up hills than drive up (if you live at bottom of hill and able to do so)

Keep esp on, some say it works better with it off but i dont think it does. And tyre tread is big deal too.

I dont use winter tyres, but my verdesteins worked well when brand new as they were like tank tracks. Now their half worn, not so good.

If in doubt of you or cars ability, just hop. Lift in someones car or rent one. Not the best option but if you dont drive in snow kuch or havent before, 350 isnt a good starter for the parts price

• Like 1

I drive in snow all the time with zed. Works same as all other cars only 1 thing diff.

The usual :

2nd gear take off and keep revs low

Dont brake round corners and when you do brake, gently tap. Try using gears to slow down aswell incase brakes cease

Main difference with rwd is, i find it easier to reverse up hills than drive up (if you live at bottom of hill and able to do so)

great advice for going up hills :thumbs:

• 1 year later...

Thinking ahead as this year will be my first winter with the Zed. I'm from Reading and we don't get that much snow here, so hopefully will be able to use it all year round.

I do have an old 1.6 Ford focus as my other car, So I'll just use that if any days seem un-drivable for the Zed.

Which bring me to my point...

You can pick up an old CAT D Nissan Micra or similar 2nd hand for like £400. Either buy a cheap second hand FWD car (plenty out there) or Invest in some good quality Winter tyres.

I picked up my 2004 focus, CAT D at 150k miles for £900, had it for 2.5 years now and still going, passed MOT every time, only expense on it was new tyres, and 1 service.

I personally like the 2 car option as the type of car I'm talking about are inexpensive to tax, insure (admiral multi-car), and run.

Also really convenient to have for when your Zed is in MOT/Service/Repair/Performance Upgrade.

And remember.... even if you have the skills to drive the Zed out there in Snow/Ice, there's plenty of drivers out there that couldn't even handle a Land Rover in the snow and it's these drivers that I worry about slamming into my Zed.