Tyres & Why They're Important

Ekona

Personally, I think there's better tyres out there and if you changed, you'd notice the difference for the better. It's like when people rave about the Falken 453 and that they're the best tyre ever and they've got a 600bhp Evo that sticks to anything with them on: They may well be happy with what they've got, but that doesn't mean there are better things out there.

My general rule of thumb is if you're happy with them then don't bother changing, however if you can afford to spend more then there's better choices to be made. :)

• Like 1

Since this popped up while the incident is fresh in my mind, allow me to morbidly post this as a further reminder of the importance of tyres and knowing their limits.

Long story short, a family on their way to the country for the three day weekend, stopped at a roadside toilet so the male driver could relieve himself. While doing his business, he hears a tremendous crash, comes out of the toilet to see his car with his wife and 3 year old inside, in 3 pieces on fire, 50 meters from where he left it. A porsche 911 GT3 crashed into them at 160mph after shedding an 11 year old winter tyre a few hundred meters before the crash. Everybody involved (2 in each car) was killed instantly except the father in the toilet who probably wishes he was. Poor bastard. There is a video of this incident around, it's not for the sensitive. My father-in-law knows the family that was destroyed. Terrible.

http://www.keeptalki...d-winter-tires/

Edited by Aashenfox

Isn't it. :(

There's another lesson in there as well, that many people don't realise; never, EVER stop on a motorway and if you absolutely have to, get all the people (and small family dogs :() out of the car and behind a barrier as quickly as possible, EVEN IN LAYBYS.

Edited by Aashenfox

I've only had the car 2 weeks and the lack of wet grip is quite a surprise. I reckon I can go faster in the wet in my Ford S Max company car :) No confidence !

I have 4 RE050's on the car. One front is 6mm, the other is about 3 in the middle and about barely legal at inside and outside edges. (Previous owner must have run it under inflated ?) I can feel it tracking over banding in the road while the other side is fine.

So I'm a bit skint after buying the car - I could stretch to 2 fronts but not all 4.

Short list is:

Uniroyal Rainsport 3 at £98 each

Hankook K120 at £125 each

Michelin MPSS £150 'ish each

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by JeZed

RE050A are a very good tyre, certainly in the wet. I'd be checking the tracking at a first point, confirm that's alright first of all.

Assuming it is, then skip all of those and go to the MPS4.

RE050A are a very good tyre, certainly in the wet. I'd be checking the tracking at a first point, confirm that's alright first of all.

Assuming it is, then skip all of those and go to the MPS4.

MPS4 or MPSS or MPS4S ? Remember I'm on 18" rims.

MPS4 or MPSS or MPS4S ? Remember I'm on 18" rims.

MPS4S > MPS4 > MPSS

However, MPS4S aren't available to fit 18".

Is the MPS4 better than MPSS ?

That's what the "greater than" (>) sign implies ;)

Doh ! :blush: