GT4 cracked alloy wheel unsafe?

Paulzx

Hoping for some pointers here...

Had my GT4 serviced at the dealers yesterday, and they have given an advisory that the car is unsafe to drive

due to one of the alloy spokes being cracked. Having had a look at this when I collected the car, there appears

to be a very feint hairline crack in the offside rear alloy, I wouldn't have ever noticed it but the technician who

did the service noticed it, removed the wheel and looked behind the spoke and declared it a genuine crack,

therefore the integrity of the wheel is compromised and now unsafe to drive.

I had to bring it the short journey home anyway because I can't leave it at the garage for however long

it takes me to sort this out, of course they were willing to keep it there and order another wheel for me at

the cost of £900 but naturally I wanted to have a sound around before doing anything.

I doubt this can be repaired? If there is no option except to buy a new wheel, where is the best place to

get that other than nissan?

Any chance of some pictures? Have the wheels been powder coated?

If the wheel has a crack in it then it can get worse with driving and hitting pot holes etc. My advice be to change it asap fiding a single GT4 rim will prove easy as Alex has some :lol::thumbs:

Well funnily enough the chap at the garage said he thought it might have been a crack in the paint because if you look carefully

at the paint finish, this particular wheel looks to have been re-furbed and a very slight 'orange peel' effect in the paint is noticeable

whereas the factory ones look completely smooth.

The cracks are not on the front face of the spoke, they are about 10 to 15mm length starting from the edge of the side of the spoke,

i may see if i can get a photo but to be honest it's hard to spot.

Has anyone actually had one of these wheels collapse on the spokes?

Well funnily enough the chap at the garage said he thought it might have been a crack in the paint because if you look carefully

at the paint finish, this particular wheel looks to have been re-furbed and a very slight 'orange peel' effect in the paint is noticeable

The cracks are not on the front face of the spoke, they are about 10 to 15mm length starting from the edge of the side of the spoke,

There was a few posted up that had snapped off completely, Especially in the states

There was a few posted up that had snapped off completely, Especially in the states

+1

http://my350z.com/forum/media-share/353 ... shoot.html

and discussed before on this forum

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=13283&hilit=powder+coated+gt4+wheel

2.jpg

Better safe than sorry.

Stop thinking and just get one off Alex. :shrug:

Probably will end up going that route anyway, although presumably that crack has to get a lot worse

before it is genuinely un-safe? i was wondering if it's worth a second opinion?

I'get some pics in the morning and post them up

Better safe than sorry.

Stop thinking and just get one off Alex. :shrug:

Probably will end up going that route anyway, although presumably that crack has to get a lot worse

before it is genuinely un-safe? i was wondering if it's worth a second opinion?

I'get some pics in the morning and post them up

As soon as 1 spoke has a crack the pressure is exerted unevenly on the wheel and the rest will go quickly.

Why would you even consider driving a car with a cracked spoke :wacko: you're talking like you want to ignore it which I think you should rethink seriously. A cracked wheel is a cracked wheel. This is what connects the car to the road, if that goes it can be alot worse than that picture shows. The wheel can bounce about and destroy the wing, body etc... it could come of completely and injure somebody else and damage somebody elses car etc. Inevitably all of these will all cause you to crash/damage your car.

I wouldnt even be thinking about it.. The car wouldnt be driven until a new wheel is fitted.

Neil, I totally agree, I just wanted some opinions because the cracks are so tiny that I don't know for sure

it has made the wheel unsafe, I'm just going on the word of the dealers, and the dealers are not always right,

The car is now off the road, i drove it back because i had to.

I think you may have mis-understood me, i'm not intending to carry on using the car regardless,

i just wanted to know if there were any alternatives.

Believe it or not, i can think of better things to do than write my car off due to a collapsed wheel