Wiring in a new HU? This guide may help

Lexx

First off, read this post:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16403

You got all this kit?

Ok, and this next bit is repeated by the kind allowances of Ross who created the original thread (which is fully here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19787)

Whilst it is specifically for a Pioneer HU, the wiring principles will be mostly the same with regards to the Loom and what you need to do :thumbs:

---------------------

Please understand this is was "I" have done and should under no circumstance be used as a guide for you own project (incase something blows up :) )

Anyway lets start with the unit in question:

IMG_2629.jpg

Pioneer AVIC-F900BT.

I am installing this in my 2005 350z GT With a Bose system already in place.

For this install I required.

1. New Headunit (obviously)

2. ICT 29-672 Cable (This allows a new headunit to be connected to the bose system whilst still retaining the steering wheel controls).

29-674.jpg

Available here: http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/ict/p~29-674.html?cat=0

3. 29-007 Cable (This is a Pioneer specific adapter for the above cable)

29-007.jpg

Available here: http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/29-007_ict-29-007---pioneer-head-unit-adapter.html

4. Head unit fittings kit (I bought METRA CAR INSTALL KIT 99-7402 NISSAN 350Z 2003-2005‏ from Ebay USA...it has STILL NOT ARRIVED AFTER 2 WEEKS).

5. Soldering equipment

6. Length of spare grounding wire

7. Various tools

From what I have read and discovered, the bose unit grounds itself through the chasis bolts, therefore any aftermarket headunit will require extra sufficient grounding in order to function correctly. In other words if its not grounded properly you wont get any power to the unit.

I decided it would be best if I earthed the ICT cable and the Headunit ISO cable together to the chassis in order to get a decent grounding.

Here is the ICT cable in question:

Pic1.jpg

There are two grounding wires on the ICT cable, one exposed and one running into the iso adapter.

Pic2.jpg

I stripped back the insulation, joined them tegether along with another open ended length of grounding wire, soldered and insulated.

Pic3.jpg

Pic4.jpg

Pic5.jpg

Pic6.jpg

Now for the grounding on the Pioneer ISO Power cable.

Pic7.jpg

I have cut down and exposed the end of the DVD Handbrake detector wire, this is the wire you would usually connect to the handbrake to stop you watching DVD's whilst the car is in motion. I spliced this into the grounding to bypass this function (DONT DO THIS).

The two wires were soldered together along with another open ended length of grounding wire.

Pic8.jpg

Pic9.jpg

Pic10.jpg

I now join the Headunit ISO connector to the ICT Cable.

I then connect the two open ended grounding wires together and attach a eyelet at the end so it can be screwed onto the chassis.

Pic11.jpg

I have just had this out in the car and tested. The unit fires up perfectly now it is all correctly grounded.

• Like 1

That thread is the one I looked at when I fitted the exact same unit a Pioneer F900bt, when I fitted my JVC it was just a case of swapping a wire here and there as some were in the loom and some came straight from the unit.

I had never fitted a car stereo before I got my Zed, it really isn't that difficult if a. you get the correct parts and b. you read through the thread and your manual carefully are work out what each wire actually does and where it needs to go.... pretty basic stuff but it works :thumbs:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...