3D TV Owners

clarkie34

Been out today and bought my self a 3D tv.When purchasing it the sales man advised me on purchasing a 1.4 HDMI cable as it was needed to view 3D tv properly.I declined as I already have good quality HDMI cables.

Has anyone bought one of these cables and did they notice any difference.

£70 for a hdmi cable?? :lol:

God i'm glad you didn't buy it :thumbs:

Something should be done about these stores trying to rip people off on these things >:( It's a digital cable.... it either works, or doesn't... places that try to claim their cables are better quality should be locked up :dry:

£70 for the cable!!! Thats just bloody ridiculous. For lengths less than 2m, you can almost transmit hdmi over string. Its a digital signal, so it either works or it doesnt - none of this gold plated techno garbage is worth the paper its written on half the time. Ive got a 12m HDMI to a projector that cost about £25 and its worked just fine for years.

1.4 supprts resolutions up to 4000 x 2000, and has an integrated ethernet channel - but the most commonly used function of 1.4 is for full frame (1080p) 3d.

As above, you can pick them up for a tenner or so for a 2m job. Just make sure it states 1.4 or 1.4a and test it works on a 3d film before burying the cable in the wall if thats what the plan is. :)

Not sure if anyone watched the Gadget show when they tested two cables, from both ends of the price spectrum, they both turned out even in the tests. Something I already knew but the consumer can be easily foxed into sales banter and spend a fortune on a cable which is over priced.

It would be great to see your car back on the forum and on the meets.

You only need HDMI 1.4 cables if your device makes use of the "Ethernet Channel". Which at present is ZERO device. All other features will work with your bod standard HDMI 1.3 cable £5 cable from Tesco. HDMI cables are the biggest rip off ever invented, how salespeople are still getting away with pushing £70 cables for non existent benefits is amazing :headhurt:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hdmi_1_4_faq.aspx#5

The only time I would suggest spending a bit more is over long runs (10m+) as HDMI isnt meant to run for massive distances unamplified. Saying that as the others have said it will generally either work or not work as its a digital signal. Make me laugh the amount of supposid AV experts that swear you can get a better picture with better cables. The whole point of digital is the picture being sent is encoded in a way that it will be exactly the same at the other end :bang: The only difference good cables will make is if it gets there or not, which is why you need better cables on longer runs, but this is usually only required if you have a projector.

You need a HDMI cable from 1.3a upwards to support 3D.

1.4 introduces higher resolution capability up to 4096x2160 which isn't really signifcant for TV's but the main useful things at the minute is ARC (audio return channel) and ethernet support... means you can output the TV sound back to an ARC supporting AV reciever along the same cable and can also support ethernet connection which, with supporting equipment makes a mini-network so devices can talk to each other without adding additional cables etc.

With regard to buying HDMI cables..... I can get numerous types from my suppliers, including the seriously expensive Monster cables, but I'll be perfectly honest I never install them!! I always use NEET cables, they are very well made, work perfectly and at a very good price. You can buy them from Amazon. Last ones I bought were less than £10 for a 1M 1.4a cable, which if you ask me is a good price range for a quality product.

For runs over 15 metres I would forget a cable and use a HDMI Over Cat 6 Balun. Can be more expensive for some runs, much cheaper for others!

In all honesty, if the cables you are currently using are working fine then you'd get more improvement by spending £20 on a Monster or THX Optimizer calibration DVD than on replacement cables...

I got a 3D TV last year after Christmas. No one even knew what a 1.4 cable was then. The one shop that sold it wanted £104 for it (Maplin). I went home and looked on eBay, £3 later and I had one coming from Hong Kong. Turned up in something like 5 days and I'm still using it now.

A guy I work with used to work for Comet or Curry's and he said the reason why they push the cables so much was they got about 40-50% commission for electrically accessories. They will lie to you also, saying an expensive cable (usually Monster branded) will give you a better picture.

A lot of BluRay films now come as 3D, BluRay and DVD bundles. Pick up Thor if you can. Resident Evil 3 is pretty good too.

Agree Peter. I got a phone call from my mum from Currys saying they wanted £70 for a cable and was that right. I gave her the facts and she "passed them on" to the sales person. Given she's worked in Scouting for neigh on 30 years, she knows how to deal with these young chaps trying to give it the gab :boxing::lol:

I used to be quite into home cinema - here's my set up. It's nothing special by enthusiast standards, but it works pretty good in our fairly small sitting room (got some surround speakers to the rear).

How good are films in 3D? I've read mixed reviews of 3D TVs so I'd be interested to hear what people think. :thumbs:

sup.jpg

3D is a format that is still in the balance of making it or not. Sales of 3D TV's are on the rise, but nowhere near what electronic companies want them to be (especially Sony as they own BluRay). When I got my TV a year ago it was about £800-1000 (with a few goodies), a 3D TV now is much less so hopefully more people will look at getting one on their next purchase. I think that is why so many films are released in multi-format ways (3D BluRay, BluRay & DVD). What really annoyed me was Jackass 3D, a movie filmed and created with 3D in mind didn't release on a 3D format BluRay.

What will save 3D is when they manage to get a TV that can project 3D without glasses (like the 3DS). The issue there is those of us who invested in the technology when it came out will have a dead format (same happened to HD-DVD).

3D films are hit and miss, but that depends on the quality of the film. I don't have many 3D films, as they are still not very common. The best I have seen so far is Thor.

3D is a format that is still in the balance of making it or not. Sales of 3D TV's are on the rise, but nowhere near what electronic companies want them to be (especially Sony as they own BluRay). When I got my TV a year ago it was about £800-1000 (with a few goodies), a 3D TV now is much less so hopefully more people will look at getting one on their next purchase. I think that is why so many films are released in multi-format ways (3D BluRay, BluRay & DVD). What really annoyed me was Jackass 3D, a movie filmed and created with 3D in mind didn't release on a 3D format BluRay.

What will save 3D is when they manage to get a TV that can project 3D without glasses (like the 3DS). The issue there is those of us who invested in the technology when it came out will have a dead format (same happened to HD-DVD).

3D films are hit and miss, but that depends on the quality of the film. I don't have many 3D films, as they are still not very common. The best I have seen so far is Thor.

Interesting - I think you're spot on about the glasses. I've been wearing glasses since I was in my early 20s. The idea of sitting with another pair on top them to watch a 3D film isn't very appealing. I also agree that the future of the format seems uncertain right now. I expect I will buy my next TV based on its 2D performance. If it has 3D capabilities that will probably be an interesting additional feature, but not the main reason for buying.

3D Is good for the price range that it now is.... it wasn't worth it when it first came out, it's not as amazing as it should be yet but seeing as you can pick up a 3D TV with glasses for less than £500 in some places it's definetly become more value for money. Personally I like cinema 3D as the glasses are cheap and light, some TV's are obviously better than others too... apparantly Samsung use the same tech in all their TV's but the SmartTV range is noticeable better than their lesser series IMO. I found Samsung to be the best that I've seen but I think it all comes down to a matter of opinion and each individuals expectations etc.

3D will continue to grow undoubtebly. Most films are being shot in 3D nowadays (and then released in 2D only :thumbdown:) and the technology will improve. They are already working on glasses-less 3D technology so it will no doubt happen one day, don't hold your breath for it though!!