H-Dev 350Z build

Jez @ H-Dev

Took the car out on its first trackday since the cage and seats have been fitted.

Got up this morning at 6am (still the middle of the night as far as I'm concerned) and headed over to Bedford Autodrome. I was regretting removing the heater most of the way there - bloody cold.

Met up with a few friends, mainly from the SXOC along with Docwra and his 350Z who is also on this forum.

It was a fantastic day, weather couldn't have been better - about 20 deg C and clear blue skies all day :yahoo:

Had few sessions up against supposedly superior cars, but the 350 held its own - the seats, cage and weight loss have helped the handling no end.

Also, tried out a set of EBC Bluestuff pads - they worked very well indeed. Much more feel than the Yellows they replaced. I think these are my favorite budget pads now, with PF 01 compound being the best (and most expensive) I've tried.

I didn't get much media during the day as I've not sorted a camera mount yet.

I think my next set of mods will be accusump (from my old track car), Nismo diff (should be with me this week) and some slicks to put on my other set of wheels. That should help the lap times a bit :#1:

I found bluestuff pads to be very good at working at high temps. They didn't wear well though which was a bit of a downfall but suspect this is due to my calipers flexing.

Car looks like a beast. Any plans for more power yet?

The blues are sposed to last longer than the yellows, but we'll see I guess. They seem to have coped well with yesterday though.

I think I'm going to build a forged TT engine - its not 100% but the most likely route at the moment :)

The blues are sposed to last longer than the yellows, but we'll see I guess. They seem to have coped well with yesterday though.

I think I'm going to build a forged TT engine - its not 100% but the most likely route at the moment :)

Yeah I think that's what I'll be going for, for next year. Winter project I think.

• 1 month later...

Awesome progress man. Amazing how much weight can be stripped from the zed.

Do you reckon you can get much more than 310BHP out of the VQ in N/A form or is TT/engine swap the only way?

I think SGM is the highest with 370whp, so with enough money and time anything is possible dude !

Took the car out at Japfest with the new Nismo LSD - its awesome. Improved grip and handling a lot.

535359_10150956066795831_180058090830_12262818_18277521_n.jpg

I got our 350 running on Syvecs engine management today - the first in the UK. For those that don't know about Syvecs, its a high end engine management system that has loads of great features. Very popular with a wide range of Japanese cars, including the GTR and now the 350Z

Rather messy prototype loom:

525770_10150956066320831_180058090830_12262816_2090577293_n.jpg

It runs!! Excuse the video - I'm not a natural with the camera :D

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... _processed

Ah ha! interesting that you are playing with standalone management! I would be interested to find out how restrictive the OEM management is (even with UpRev), and how much switching to standalone can gain (with/without other mods).

The uprev sounds good for removing the throttle restriction in 1st/2nd/3rd, but other than that I personally cannot see much of a benefit.

However, I'm well aware of how 'calibration' of the management can make an engine more responsive compared to stock etc. But that experiment was conducted using a 1998 Golf VR6, which in standard form has a pretty lazy map.

Is the OEM Nissan management set up well to begin with, or is it restrictive?

I'll probably pop past to see you guys early next year when my Z is due a P3 service :-)

Ah ha! interesting that you are playing with standalone management! I would be interested to find out how restrictive the OEM management is (even with UpRev), and how much switching to standalone can gain (with/without other mods).

The uprev sounds good for removing the throttle restriction in 1st/2nd/3rd, but other than that I personally cannot see much of a benefit.

However, I'm well aware of how 'calibration' of the management can make an engine more responsive compared to stock etc. But that experiment was conducted using a 1998 Golf VR6, which in standard form has a pretty lazy map.

Is the OEM Nissan management set up well to begin with, or is it restrictive?

I'll probably pop past to see you guys early next year when my Z is due a P3 service :-)

You can get an engine with basic mods to work pretty well by remapping the standard ECU - its works well for mild modifications and supercharging.

I wouldn't expect to gain a huge amount of power by swapping from standard to an aftermarket ECU on a standard ish engine, but we'll see.

The main benefit of Syvecs is all the other features - the standard ecu runs the engine quite well but thats it. With Syvecs you have full control over ignition timing, traction control, boost control, on board logging, safety engine limp / trips, nitrous control etc etc. And rather than having a load of separate systems controlling these things its all in one unit that is designed to work well. An example of this is traction control - you can set it up to initially just retard the ignition to reduce engine torque when wheel slip is detected. Another is the nitrous control - you don't need extra fuel injectors as the ECU just injects more fuel via the existing injectors when nitrous is on. Boost targets (if you have turbo engine) can be based on throttle position, gear and rpm. You can setup trips so if the fuel pressure fails to follow manifold pressure it'll either go into limp or stop the engine.

Probably over kill for a daily drive but extremely good for a modified car.

• 1 month later...

Haven't had a chance to do a great deal to the car recently.

We have fitted an accusump to the oil system - this will help reduce the chance of oil surge when running slicks on track.

post-5210-135011926669_thumb.jpg

post-5210-13501192666_thumb.jpg

Took the car out at Blyton Park last weekend - as usual the car ran without any problems and was great fun. Docwra was there too, although our paths didn't cross on track.

post-5210-135011926677_thumb.jpg

Going to Rockingham on the 12th August, with a 430bhp S13 and a ~600bhp RX7, if anyone is interested :)

• 10 months later...

I've been using the car mainly - haven't changed a lot as it all works really well. The main performance change I've made is that I've fitted Federal RS-R tyres. They're pretty good, not as good a R888s but at half the price I can't complain. I've done a couple of trackdays this year so far. And off to Cadwell on the 30th May.

I've got a collection of parts piling up to build a turbo engine:

Darton sleeves

CP pistons

Steel conrods

ARP head and crank stud kit

Twin plate clutch and flywheel

ID725cc injectors

Fuel return system

Just need to get the machining done and get hold of a turbo kit and it'll be running some more power. Should make it a bit faster down the straights. I'm probably going to go for fairly small turbos and aim for a low-ish lag setup and 6-700bhp.

One thing holding me back is that at the moment it handles great ands it very well balanced. Its quite rewarding and fun to drive. If I get a shed load more power it'll make it more point and shoot...

In other news, I've figured out how to re-flash the OEM ECU so will hopefully be able to offer cheaper remaps in the future - got a few hurdles to overcome but I'll get there. I've developed a 95 RON fuel map for a standard engine + standard exhaust system - this was what I was running at Japfest.

Edited by Jez
  • Like 2