The 2012 F1 Chat Thread

CaptainSensible

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the Mclaren is easily the best looking car at the moment (picture from todays test). I think the concensus of opinion is that they have either dropped a major bollock with the design of this car or they are months ahead of the rest. Their rear exhaust outlets were different today compared to the launch pictures last week ;)

Jenson-Button_2714793.jpg

Well the Mclaren is easily the best looking car at the moment (picture from todays test). I think the concensus of opinion is that they have either dropped a major bollock with the design of this car or they are months ahead of the rest. Their rear exhaust outlets were different today compared to the launch pictures last week ;)

Jenson-Button_2714793.jpg

Agreed with it being the best looking car, I would hope that they are months ahead.

FASTEST TIMES, DAY TWO TESTING, JEREZ

1 Michael Schumacher (Ger) Mercedes 1:18.561*

2 Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull-Renault 1:19.184

3 Daniel Ricciardo (Aus) Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:19.587

4 Jules Bianchi (Fra) Force India-Mercedes 1:20.221

5 Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Lotus-Renault 1:20.239

6 Paul di Resta (GB) Force India-Mercedes 1:20.272

7 Felipe Massa (Brz) Ferrari 1:20.454

8 Jenson Button (GB) McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.688

9 Sergio Perez (Mex) Sauber-Ferrari 1:20.711

10 Pastor Maldonado (Ven) Williams-Renault 1:21.197

11 Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) Caterham-Renault 1:21.518

12 Pedro de la Rosa (Spa) HRT-Cosworth 1:22.128*

* = 2011 car

I have a sneaky suspicion that Mercedes have developed a monster engine and are taking their time working out an aero package. These times mean nothing as they were set in last-year's car but I doubt there isn't a very good reason why their new car isn't coming out until later on in the month.

but McLaren would get the same engine.

Correct, all teams using the Mercedes engine will get same unit. Last years Mercedes car has a years worth of development behind it dont forget ;)

But all of these times mean nothing yet. Wait till we get to the third test and then we will have a better idea. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Poor Jarno, feel sorry for the guy but it was always coming after his constant whinging about the power steering. I don't mind Petrov as a driver, it's the fact that he's only been chosen because of the money behind him that irks me.

Poor Jarno, feel sorry for the guy but it was always coming after his constant whinging about the power steering. I don't mind Petrov as a driver, it's the fact that he's only been chosen because of the money behind him that irks me.

He only said the other day his position was 'safe'.

I know the practise / shakedown times arent anything to go by but Vettel is topping the times in Barcalona.

I'm slightly dissapointed that they arent showing this stuff on the sky F1 channel but nevermind

It's Bernie Ecclestone's policy that no testing is to be televised. Not sky's fault.

As for the cars... it's pretty hard to tell right now. All we know is that the Mercedes engine seems to be pretty epic this year as all cars running it are doing reasonably well irrespective of the aero packages or anything else. Red Bull seem to still be doing reasonably well in the aero department and Ferrari thus far does not look all that promising although with Alonso at the wheel you just never know. Bring on the first race!

I know the practise / shakedown times arent anything to go by but Vettel is topping the times in Barcalona.

Except for today where the FI of Hulkenberg was top, you mean? ;)

Testing times mean absolutely squat, and it certainly seems this year that we have no idea how quick any of these cars are in relation to each other. Bring on the Aussie grand prix I say! :teeth:

Testing times mean absolutely squat, and it certainly seems this year that we have no idea how quick any of these cars are in relation to each other.

I think the top teams always hold back a couple of seconds, they won't show all of their cards until first practice or even as late as Q3 in Australia. It's more interesting as you move down the field though, several teams look to be very closely matched.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Todays testing times make some interesting reading. :)

1. Perez Sauber 1m22.094s

2. Button McLaren 1m22.103s +0.009

3. Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1m22.155s +0.061

4. Massa Ferrari 1m22.413s +0.319

5. Di Resta Force India 1m22.446s +0.352

6. Senna Williams 1m22.480s +0.386

7. Kovalainen Caterham 1m22.630s +0.536

8. Webber Red Bull 1m22.662s +0.568

9. Rosberg Mercedes 1m22.932s +0.838

10. Raikkonen Lotus 1m25.379s +3.285

Raikkonen had a steering problem but seeing that Grosjean was fastest yesterday this is starting to look like an incredibly competitive season. I think the big 4 teams will have a bit in hand but I'm expecting some very interesting racing. :thumbs: Can't wait for the real action to start :D

Pete

Pete