The 2012 F1 Chat Thread

CaptainSensible

Caterham should be more midfield this year,as they have our KERS and gearbox from last year,so that will boost their performance alot.

Couldn't resist - hope its not the same KERS as last years that certainly, as far as it seems Mark was cocerned, was more off than on :lol:

:lol:

There were alot of issues at the start of the year. Even Newey said that after 2 laps of the race,the would switch it off at the start of the year,as it would just overheat. Latter part of the year though proved a big step forward,and we ran it reliably with no overheating issues. Its not just the components though,the KERS team have got better in understanding what can be done to keep it optimised and how to fix issues. Marks car did seem to suffer more id admit,but as far as we were concerned,all the parts pass the same quality tests. It was probably because Seb was in clear air most of the time,and when running behind other cars,you dont get that. Hopefully this year,KERS will not be an issue.

Just make sure that if Vettel has won all the races up until the last one again, you dont come up with a **** and bull story that he's suddenly got a serious gearbox issue from lap 5 so that it gives Webber the chance of victory! :p:lol:

Serious gerbox problem my arse! It ended up doing the full 71 laps! :lol: Meanwhile at Mclaren "Lewis you have a serious gearbox problem" a few laps later it expired! ;)

BTW i am only yanking your chain ;)

There is/was alot of speculation about that issue. I was there,and i have a video of both cars in the garage after the race,with Renault playing with both engines,with the help of some of the team. :#1: I saw the oil dripping out of the gearbox of Sebs car,and its very obvious that there was no manipulation of the results at all. If Seb hadnt of backed off,he wouldnt have finished the race. I want Mark to have a great season,hes a great guy,and pulled off an overtake in Spa that was just as brave as Sebs was 2 weeks later in Monza. he deserves a good season,and everyone is hoping that the only other car that can rival Sebs,is the one at the other side of the garage. :#1:

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting with Torro Rosso. i think they have made the right decision didtching their 2 drivers. the whole RB young driver program is about find the best drivers in the world. i remember watching Riciardo make mincemeat of his opposition in F3. these are the drivers that redbull gets under their wraps quickly. obviousley as you workt your way up the formulas the group whittles down untill you have a few hopefulls for F1. who either lay down their mark immediately (take vettel for example who embarrassed the field in a torro rosso in a wet race in monza) or alguasari and Buemi who despite their more recent hike in performance are no more than average drivers.

If you have a sister team you want to use it to find the next world champion, not ween a couple of so-so drivers. especially when you have access to the amount of potentially brilliant drivers that RB have.

No doubt in my mind that Mclaren will be fast. they have proved for years that they are one of- if not 'the' best at developement, and given the minor regs changes this year it really plays towards them. the car may not look that different but in F1 the smallest change can make a huge difference. looking at a few pics from the internet doesnt really tell us much, how ever brainy and knowledgeable we may think we are.

Red Bull will obvioulsey fast building on their success last year. i would put my money on Vettel for another championship.

Too much to talk about, too little time. that's enough for this evening. Can't wait for motorsport season!!!! :yahoo:

Just wait till you see our version! :boxing::boxing::boxing:

The Ferrari cant possibly continue to look like that,they will come up with something better,i hope to god!

Atleast the Force India has lumps on the outer edges,so you loose the large step look.

Is that a duct I see in the stepped nose on the RB8? Looks significantly different to the other stepped noses we've seen so far, and interesting to see they've not gone the way of McLaren.

Does look like there is a duct there Dan

They have all gone for the stepped nose it seems apart from Mclaren.

Red Bull

http://www.redbullracing.com/cs/Satelli ... 3158945543

Lotus

http://www.planetf1.com/photo-gallery/7 ... -Lotus-E20

Sauber

http://www.planetf1.com/photo-gallery/7 ... Sauber-C31

Scarbs F1 is a very good source of technical knowledge,and certainly explains what McLaren have gone for over everyone else.

Be interesting to see what STR come up with,as i think their side pod idea last season was a pretty good one,and im sure they will be looking to develop on that.

Im sorry that the RB8 is not a great looker,but if its as fast as it is ugly,we will be alright! lol

Times from this mornings session.....

1 Raikkonen Lotus 1m19.670s

2 Di Resta Force India 1m19.772s +0.102

3 Rosberg Mercedes 1m20.219s +0.549

4 Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1m20.694s +1.024

5 Kobayashi Sauber 1m21.353s +1.683

6 Webber Red Bull 1m21.474s +1.804

7 Button McLaren 1m22.366s +2.696

8 Massa Ferrari 1m22.815s +3.145

9 Kovalainen Caterham 1m23.178s +3.508

10 Maldonado Williams 1m23.371s +3.701

11 De la Rosa HRT 1m24.209s +4.539

Pete

I have a theory regarding McLaren

Whats the chances that they will be running a car with a stepped nose? just came to me that they might have just put a good looking nose on to please the press on release only to swap it out for a stepped nose when they come to drive it properly

Whats the chances that they will be running a car with a stepped nose? just came to me that they might have just put a good looking nose on to please the press on release only to swap it out for a stepped nose when they come to drive it properly

Wondered that myself but i am sure i have read somewhere that this is how the car will look come first race. :shrug: But for sure they have kept alot hidden and i am quite sure it will look different in some areas. Some concerns have been raised about the legality of the car (exhaust outlets) by some teams i hear hence the reason that Charlie Whiting is supposed to be heading to the test to check out. :shrug:

Could be...

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/74914 ... lastic-Car

The new car will not look the same in Jerez and in the season opener in Australia it will look very different.

We spent the week in Idiada (Spain) doing an aero test on a series of new parts for the car that were on it in Woking.

Pete