Engine management light

RXS

Hi guys. My engine management light came on today and it won't go off. Its not flashing, its just on all the time. The car doesn't feel as though its running any differently. I tried resetting the ECU by doing the 'pedal dance' but for some reason that doesn't do a damn thing on my car, no flashing cel or anything. I even tried dis connecting the battery but as soon as i started the car again the EML came straight back on.

Any ideas ?

dont you want to get it code-read first so you know whats causing it to come on?

most of the time, its not a great deal to worry about, but if it was my car id still want to know what, why, when etc?

there is a guide on here as to how you can pull the code.

or is your car modified? i have the eml on 100% of the time, cause of about 5 of my mods lol!

The method i am using is,

1) turn ignition on and wait 3 seconds

2) press and release accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 seconds

3) Wait for 7 seconds

4) Press and hold accelerator pedal for 10 seconds (during which the EML should start flashing).

5) Release the accelerator pedal for another 10 seconds.

6) Press and hold accelerator pedal for another 10 seconds

7) Switch ignition off and then start vehicle (EML should now go out and stay out).

Only modifications are a scorpion back box and centre section and a K & N panel filter. Vehicle has been running this way for the last couple of hundred miles with no EML showing.

Well i'm in Leicestershire so a bit far out for you bud.

If i could at least get the EML flashing when going through the 'pedal dance' at least i would know i was onto something. The thing i don't understand is why doesn't dis connecting the battery reset the EML ? It resets the stereo channels and the trip computer so why not the ECU ?

The method i am using is,

1) turn ignition on and wait 3 seconds

2) press and release accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 seconds

3) Wait for 7 seconds

4) Press and hold accelerator pedal for 10 seconds (during which the EML should start flashing).

5) Release the accelerator pedal for another 10 seconds.

6) Press and hold accelerator pedal for another 10 seconds

7) Switch ignition off and then start vehicle (EML should now go out and stay out).

Only modifications are a scorpion back box and centre section and a K & N panel filter. Vehicle has been running this way for the last couple of hundred miles with no EML showing.

Please read all instructions and be familiar with them before any attempts.

A stop watch or an analog clock with a second?s needle will be useful.

ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.

A stop watch or an analog clock with a second?s needle will be useful.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ?ON? and wait 3 seconds.

2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.

2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).

2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.

4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)

5. Wait about 10 second.

6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.

7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).

8. Turn ignition switch to ?OFF? position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

When my engine management light came on, i sent my 2004 350z to Nissan Basingstoke as it was covered under warranty, they plugged it in and it turned out to be the throttle body.

They changed that with no expence to me and touch wood the car has had no problems, that was in May 2011

When my engine management light came on, i sent my 2004 350z to Nissan Basingstoke as it was covered under warranty, they plugged it in and it turned out to be the throttle body.

They changed that with no expence to me and touch wood the car has had no problems, that was in May 2011

it probably didn;t need changing, just a TPS reset and an ECU rest would have done it.

Thanks for all the responses chaps. It has really helped me out. I borrowed an OBD2 reader from a guy at work and managed to find the fault code to be P1147. I have had a look on the list and this is the 'heated O2 sensor 2' ? The little gismo he lent me also allowed me to turn off the EML after reading the code. If the light returns i will take the vehicle back to the dealership i bought it from as it is still under warranty. I'm hoping it was just a blip ???

Thanks for all the responses chaps. It has really helped me out. I borrowed an OBD2 reader from a guy at work and managed to find the fault code to be P1147. I have had a look on the list and this is the 'heated O2 sensor 2' ? The little gismo he lent me also allowed me to turn off the EML after reading the code. If the light returns i will take the vehicle back to the dealership i bought it from as it is still under warranty. I'm hoping it was just a blip ???

I had the exact smae issue last year when it got really cold ... It kept coming back while the weather was cold ... but stopped once it was warmer ...

If you're still covered under warranty then you may as well have it checked out if it returns ..

:thumbs: