Lack of grip...

rogerxp

Anyone else noticing that the standard Bridgestones are horrendous in this damp weather???

I'm having real problems putting any power down without spinning up the rear. I'm on about 50% tread at the minute which surely shouldn't be causing too many issues yet. I had a chat with a local tyre fitter who commented on the Bridgestones compound being quite hard so will struggle for grip in these cold/damp conditions.

I've looked at winter tyre options but firstly can't get the exact same rear fitment plus secondly the nearest fit costs a fortune. I toyed with getting a new set of Falkens on, just to give me maximum tread through winter, but could do without shelling out £400-500 this close to Christmas :wacko: .

I could always slow down :lol: .

Winter + 300BHP plus and RWD = 'sorn' your heavy right foot until next Spring, if you can't do that for the car itself. Cheapest/safest option :thumbs:

+1. And Stones arent the best in the cold, and they are summer tyres, so not at all designed for this weather. Even our Alfa Diesel is a bit under gripped at the moment with its summer tyres and thats not even pushing big power and all the weight is over the driven wheels. Take it easy for a few months and have fun when the weather warms up.

Cant say my Falkens were any more grippy on the 350z last year than the Stones are on the 370z this year.

Good input. Interesting to hear similar grip with the Falkens (I'm used to Falkens replacing RFT on my Beemers where of course it was comfort I was after as well as handling).

Absolutely, I was already aware of course that physics will always struggle to keep >300bhp RWD planted to the tarmac, even in dry conditions it's sometimes a challenge, so guess I just have to tame myself (but then again it's quite good fun ;) ).

Just dont boot it around! Any car, not just a Zed will go off the road if you are giving it the beans. If you got a throttle controller set it to economy :thumbs: that works very nicely.

But there are plenty of M3s Z4s and multitudes of other higher powered rear wheel drive cars still out there on the roads even though its been raining, its easy to be sensible and still drive it, although that applies to where I am moreso than maybe northern Scotland right now...

But there are plenty of M3s Z4s and multitudes of other higher powered rear wheel drive cars still out there on the roads even though its been raining, its easy to be sensible and still drive it, although that applies to where I am moreso than maybe northern Scotland right now...

Shouldnt stop it coming out, just have to be careful as you say. My Zed will be out whenever the sun is out so long as there isnt any snow on the floor (or maybe when there is a light dusting if I dont have the Alfa to hand to drive)

If you got a throttle controller set it to economy :thumbs: that works very nicely.

presume = wife / partner in the passenger seat :lol:

:lol:

Yep partner, spouse, mother, wife whatever really - they work quite well as much as a D1 Spec!

I just got my Zed this year, spent 6 months getting it back to a nice condition. I am going to drive it as long as the sun shines and the ice stays away. I get just as much enjoyment pootling down the road at 20mph as I do booting it around with my foot to the floor...no way am I putting it into hiding for months!

its the same as racing,

slow is smooth, smooth is fast. yes grip will be down because its wet, basic laws of physics tell us that. but if you are smooth with your throttle responce and steering and braking inputs it shouldn't struggle to much, added to that the TCS should help to keep you on the road.

i'm running nearly 400 bhp in rwd on falkens and they seem to be coping fine. yes less grip than dry, but by no means a bum clenching moment yet.

if you can afford to have 2 sets then winter/wet tyres make a huge difference. but i must admit i found the falkens pretty good in the wet. good water dispersion and confident grip.

Falkens are great tyres for the money, but no summer tyre is going to bode well in near or below 0C temps, the rubber just gets too firm. As you say you can drive for the conditions, but you wont ever be able to get good grip from them without getting the temps up. Thats where winter tyres are better as they are pliable down to much lower temps and have grooves in them to allow the blocks to move and generate more heat ;)

Falkens are great tyres for the money, but no summer tyre is going to bode well in near or below 0C temps, the rubber just gets too firm. As you say you can drive for the conditions, but you wont ever be able to get good grip from them without getting the temps up. Thats where winter tyres are better as they are pliable down to much lower temps and have grooves in them to allow the blocks to move and generate more heat ;)

i completely agree chris,

i suppose i just adjust my driving for the conditions so i don't notice a tyre getting worse, (unless its frozen or snowing) i've found the falkens in the wet are good until you get down to about 3 degree's temp.

I look around and only about 1% of cars probably shift to winter tyres. All your Focuses et al are on summers, I know they are underpowered but its just as easy to put one of those in a barrier as a Zed if you dont respect the conditions.

Has anyone actually got a set of winters for their 370Z?? I couldn't locate the right sizes (think it was the profile of the rears that was out).

Nope (a) because I dont need to as I car share with the missus so use her car over the winter and (B) I couldnt find the exact sizes either.

If I were to go for winter tyres, I would probably get some cheap 18" wheels and get them skinny enough to get winter tyres for them :thumbs:

Has anyone actually got a set of winters for their 370Z?? I couldn't locate the right sizes (think it was the profile of the rears that was out).

I've spent hours trying to source winters for my 370 but gave up. Dunlop do have a winter tyre but theyre over £350 quid a pop. The Bridgstones are rock solid below 5C and hate standing water. My 1.4 Mito is quicker/safer than the Z in the cold!

Ive driven all year round on REO50As in all conditions and never had problems with grip. It's all about driving to the conditions :thumbs:

me too - and also on 452's. Only problems i've had is snow on a sloping surface.

Simples

Going over the top for what is a very short term problem...