Winters ordered

Mega

Just picked up my 17" JDMs today and now ordered a set of Nokian WR A3 winters from tyremen.

Gone 225/45/17 and 245/45/17.

Anyone else bitten the bullet yet?

I've run winters for the past 4 years and the peace of mind they give you is so worth the money. Plus 6 months less wear on my summers so it doesn't really work out more expensive if you play the long game.

As an aside I now have a spare pair of Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes - 225/45/17 to sell as I couldn't get the matching rears unfortunately! (No stock till 2012! ) would have been find but due to the brembo's cant drop the wheel size any lower.. plenty of 15s and 16s in stock!

No need for me to post a review, I know they'll be good :) But just wondered what the general winter wheel consensus is on here and whether I'm committing a sin by even considering running the zed in winter? lol...

For the two weeks or so of the year where we have grit/snow on the road I will simply leave the Zed parked up and drive the second car - money saved on extra tyres etc will be spent on new exhaust :thumbs:

I do see your point of view but for the past 2 years it's been dodgy/changeable for more like 4 months.

The peace of mind of always being able to get in the car is well worth it imho.

furthermore; I only have one car. My 350z is the DD, and I have to get the office rain wind or snow! :p

So it's 4 months where I'm not using the summers, meaning after 2 winters I've broken even as I'd go through 2 sets of summers a year anyway.

The only other cost is the fact I had to buy spare alloys of course. but they only hit me for a shocking £85 thanks to a member on here :) So can't complain!!! :)

Two sets of summers a year? Thats a fair whack? I have done over 7k on a set of Falkens (which were not new when I bought them) and they are still going strong. If you are doing 25k+ a year and using it as your daily drive your fuel bill must be awful! I remember last year we had I think about ten days where snow really hit in Lodnon, I remember the trains being ruined from Monday till Thursday one week and I worked at home, also once not being able to get to football. Being in Harrow as well, cant imagine our weather is that bad you cant use summers for four months? A few members on here have used it as a DD and driven on summers through the winter, to be honest if its snowing or raining in sub zero temperatures I wouldnt take the Zed out if it had 60 inch tractor tyres on ;)

Two sets of summers a year? Thats a fair whack? I have done over 7k on a set of Falkens (which were not new when I bought them) and they are still going strong. If you are doing 25k+ a year and using it as your daily drive your fuel bill must be awful! I remember last year we had I think about ten days where snow really hit in Lodnon, I remember the trains being ruined from Monday till Thursday one week and I worked at home, also once not being able to get to football. Being in Harrow as well, cant imagine our weather is that bad you cant use summers for four months? A few members on here have used it as a DD and driven on summers through the winter, to be honest if its snowing or raining in sub zero temperatures I wouldnt take the Zed out if it had 60 inch tractor tyres on ;)

I got about 12k from my last set of Falkens and I tend to do a shade under 20k a year :)

Remember: Winters are better than Summers at any temp below about 7 degrees C. It doesn't need to be snowing :)

As for the subzero I was driving the E90 around sheffield hills last year seeing the other halfs family when the cold snap hit. -10 deg, cruising around on snow and black ice with not much more concern than a light spot of rain. On the summers, I couldn't get out of my flat road as when I tried to turn 90 the car consistently turned 180. Night and day doesn't start to cover it.

Yeah. £130/week on fuel since owning the car so far. A fair shade up from my old E90 320d on about 75/week. You only live once...

So when it drops to below 7 degrees at night the summers come off and winters go on ;)

Sorry thats being overly harsh and pedantic :bangin: just someone said earlier on the forum that there seems to be something developing on this forum that there are rules that should be followed regarding how things are done but no one seems to try to counter discuss them? I have owned lots of cars over the years, never once switched to winters, first time I have even heard of it on here. Winter tyres are much better in the wet/cold I agree, are they worth investment vs leaving the Zed at home for a couple of weeks is open to debate :) I guess if you plan on having the Zed for a few winters probably worth the investment.

So when it drops to below 7 degrees at night the summers come off and winters go on ;)

Sorry thats being overly harsh and pedantic :bangin: just someone said earlier on the forum that there seems to be something developing on this forum that there are rules that should be followed regarding how things are done but no one seems to try to counter discuss them? I have owned lots of cars over the years, never once switched to winters, first time I have even heard of it on here. Winter tyres are much better in the wet/cold I agree, are they worth investment vs leaving the Zed at home for a couple of weeks is open to debate :) I guess if you plan on having the Zed for a few winters probably worth the investment.

No, just shortsighted. ;)

For 5 months of the year in the UK the average daily temperature is below 7 degrees.

For 5 months of the year you are on the wrong tyres for the conditions on an average day, and the driveability of your car suffers for it.

Now, I'm new on this forum so I don't know about growing trends not to question the majority. I don't really know anyone here (First meet for me is this Saturday) so certainly don't consider myself in the majority. However the simple fact is 5 months less summer tyre usage plus 5 months of optimal performance compared to the alternative makes this a very logical option, unless you are being shortsighted. The only time that isn't valid is if you never drive the car.. In which case why not just sell it :) I don't get the weekend warrior stuff. I'd rather have a 2 litre DD than a 1.1 shitbox or awful 4x4 so that I can keep a performance car in the garage and never use it. Or, in my case: a 3.5 litre DD and feck the fuel bill. This is talk for another topic anyway though :)

Aye good points mega, and I do agree winter tyres in the cold work better than summer tyres :thumbs: Actually the average temp darn sarf is 7 degrees or above (ok I blatently googled it just now out of interest) for 3 months of the year. During that three months the average high is about 9 degrees and average low is about 1 degree, so it isnt consistently below 7 degrees where the winter tyres operate best. I would argue that there is not an instant degredation in capability of summer tyres from 8 to say 5 degrees, there is some, but if you are pootling about probably nothing substantial which means you are flying off the side of the road. I think if I were to have a proper punt at timed effectiveness of winter tyres its probably more like 6-8 weeks, of which probably 2-3 are serious conditions such as snow or ice which as I say I wouldnt drive a car let alone a Zed out on the road.

I think if I were living further north where they bear the brunt of bad weather I would seriously consider it.

despite having read alot of posts about them plus a bit of internet research too im still failing to understand the benefits of a winter tyre on a UK road.

granted they have a different tread pattern and the rubber has different properties compared to higher temp tyres, i understand all that - probably far too much being trained in polymer chemistry :lol: I understand how tyres work (provide a sacrificial bond with the surface) and i understand that the tyres perform better in cold temperatures due to these properties so will give you more grip on the road in cold temps

but in my experience, snow,ice and rubber just dont mix - as anyone who has tried to walk on an icy pavement in trainers/whatever will tell you. So i cant see how winter tyres will give any advantage over normal tyres if you hit black ice. Indeed not even 4wd copes with this, as the tit who flew round an icy corner in his landrover discovery earlier this year and ended up crashing into a wall near my house will testify.

Ive not long come back from switzerland where its the law to fit winter tyres, but when it really starts snowing then out come the tyre chains, which everyone carries and is the only way people keep moving.

so, to sum, winter tyres provide more grip in cold conditions, agree :thumbs:

winter tyres enable you to drive normally/as near as in bad ice or snow - confused! :wacko:

It will be interesting to hear how everyone who has ordered winter tyres gets on with them - a few pictures of zeds driving about in snow will prove beyond their value beyond doubt and probably convert us all; though now ive said that we will probably get a mild rainy and snowless winter :lol:

but keep us posted on how you get on with them.

It will be interesting to hear how everyone who has ordered winter tyres gets on with them - a few pictures of zeds driving about in snow will prove beyond their value beyond doubt and probably convert us all;

Follow trackpigs thread for a starter.

I am a 350z winter tyre user. Have fun out there!

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=42385

as i said, ive read the previous posts already.

a couple of people have posted their good experience with them true, there again more then a few post about how much quicker their cars are with 2bhp air filter mods.

not saying they are wrong, just saying i will wait till i see more evidence and hear more peoples experiences with them before making my mind up

I ran winter tyres last winter and will be doing again this year. I didn't have to use them in the snow too often but when I did I found they worked very well.

I'd read lots about how poor a zed is on normal tyres in icy/snowy conditions and as it's my only car I figured I didn't have much to lose by giving winter tyres a go. If I had a FWD, low powered car then I'd probably just slide around a bit on summer tyres but with a RWD, relatively powerful car it definitely makes sense to me to fit winter tyres.

This shows the conditions I drove in last year without any problems:

P1030113b.jpg

despite having read alot of posts about them plus a bit of internet research too im still failing to understand the benefits of a winter tyre on a UK road.

granted they have a different tread pattern and the rubber has different properties compared to higher temp tyres, i understand all that - probably far too much being trained in polymer chemistry :lol: I understand how tyres work (provide a sacrificial bond with the surface) and i understand that the tyres perform better in cold temperatures due to these properties so will give you more grip on the road in cold temps

but in my experience, snow,ice and rubber just dont mix - as anyone who has tried to walk on an icy pavement in trainers/whatever will tell you. So i cant see how winter tyres will give any advantage over normal tyres if you hit black ice. Indeed not even 4wd copes with this, as the tit who flew round an icy corner in his landrover discovery earlier this year and ended up crashing into a wall near my house will testify.

Ive not long come back from switzerland where its the law to fit winter tyres, but when it really starts snowing then out come the tyre chains, which everyone carries and is the only way people keep moving.

winter tyres enable you to drive normally/as near as in bad ice or snow - confused! :wacko:

It will be interesting to hear how everyone who has ordered winter tyres gets on with them - a few pictures of zeds driving about in snow will prove beyond their value beyond doubt and probably convert us all; though now ive said that we will probably get a mild rainy and snowless winter :lol:

You have never drove a harsh winter with normal tyres fitted then winter tyres fitted have you?

Switzerland has alot more snow then us... :bangin:

No winter tyres dont allow you to drive normally as if you did you a prat but they allow you safely to drive around. 4wd has nothing to do with anything if the wrong tyres are fitted. My fwd car shot pass alot of RRS, Q7's and other 4x4's purely because the winter tyres give you traction. If you dont have traction 4 wheels spinning isnt better than 2 is it? The winter tyres bite into the snow and allow you to keep moving.

I used my Z to commute to work for the last 4 winters, never had a problem with my summer tyres even over fresh snow. Infact I loved the fact the Z is so predicable, you can easily tell when the back end is about to slip and it's actually quite fun been able to provoke powerslide slides at 20mph:) Even got told off by security at work for doing donuts in the car park....Considering we get at the most 5-7 days of bad snow a year in the Midlands always it's seems like an awful lot of money to keep modile for 1 week out of 54?!

You have never drove a harsh winter with normal tyres fitted then winter tyres fitted have you?

Switzerland has alot more snow then us... :bangin:

No winter tyres dont allow you to drive normally as if you did you a prat but they allow you safely to drive around. 4wd has nothing to do with anything if the wrong tyres are fitted. My fwd car shot pass alot of RRS, Q7's and other 4x4's purely because the winter tyres give you traction. If you dont have traction 4 wheels spinning isnt better than 2 is it? The winter tyres bite into the snow and allow you to keep moving.

Someone who understands.

It doesn't matter how many driven axles you have or where on the car they are if the tyres are @*!# you'll end up in a wall :)

I tell you what I've got a go pro. If/when it snows I'll film my commute to work including the ice and snow covered roads and post it here. Tell me you can do that in the summer and well frankly it'll just be clear there are fantasists about :)

Regarding all the "1 week a year" brigade. As I said on page 1, in the UK the average temperature merits winters over summers for 4 or 5 months in a given year: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... h/UKXX0085

So this is 4 months (as I do mid November-> Early march every year) where I'm not burning the summer tyres out. Meaning in my case in 2 winters I've paid for the extra set of tyres anyway.

So unless you are very short termist; the cost factor doesn't come in to it at all really.

Anyway. I'll enjoy my car throughout the coldest and harshest days of the year whilst you guys try to fight with cancelled trains or 1 litre fiestas :)

In Scotland it gets cold quick stays that way. Last year if I didn't have winter tires I couldn't have got to work 8/10 losing me money and it could have caused an accident costing me more. You also are sharing the wear of your tyres so you are kinda getting twice the life from them. You may not need them but when it gets cold and it snows you would pay anything to keep moving.