Z4 M Coupe or 370Z?

mike89

I did a tour of the RR factory back in the summer with the PH Sunday Service lot, I was both impressed by how incredibly simple it is but also just how much attention you can see they pay to the cars. Just a shame there were boxes everywhere with BMW plastered over the side, ruined it somewhat :(

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and to the guy who saw 12 - perhaps its the same one and he was lost?? :teeth:

Nope we have one of the biggest BMW dealers in our area and there's an abundance of z4's and z4 m coupes.

Really not a fan of the Beemer. Looks like a car for a rich mans missus to be honest. Would save a bit more and buy a 911 instead.

New BMW's are renowned for being very unreliable. My missus dad had endless issues with his 760li and ended up having a new engine put in due to them being unable to repair it successfully. The i-drive system failed on countless occasions also.

Really? BMWs strike me as one of the most reliable brands out there. Sure you can always find examples of issues, but given how many they sell its not surprising. I'd be more concerned about porsche reliability (especially as I'm looking to buy one). I've owned many BMWs and frequented many BMW forums and get the impression the reliability is superb. Though I get pretty much the same impression of the zed.

Every Beemer our family owned has been a nightmare and so has the customer service. The 911 c4s was fantastic and had zero issues. But when spending almost 100k on a New 7 series for it to be in the garage more than it is out then I'm pretty sure that says it all.

Dont get me wrong I nearly bought a 335 m sport conv just before I bought my zed. I love the look of BMW's and my mate just picked up a cracking 5 series business edition. I love the look of these cars and the interior but I'm afraid I think, IMO, that A z4 ,no matter the spec, is just too feminine to look at...

I would agree with you if you said the Z4 Roadster was feminine, I would never drive one of them, but the coupe, especilally the M coupe is a lovely looking car, not girly at all IMO. I love the look of my car, the 350Z coupe but if I am honest I think the 350Z roadster looks pretty ugly and would never have bought one. So each to there own I guess

I had a test drive in a Z4M Roadster at the weekend and was impressed - felt a lot faster and more responsive in gear than the Zed and the ride quality was pretty good too - it was miles better than the M Sport 3.0si I tested a few years back due to having proper steering and no run flat tyres. However the cabin was cramped, I can't get on with the looks (the Z4 and especially the coupe look somewhat phallic I think) and the BMW dealer wanted a stupid amount of money to change, so it will not be mine.

A mate of mine has just picked a Z4m convertible last weekend, fully loaded with lots of toys inc DTV . I had the pleasure of driving it last night. I have mixed views on the car. Driving around town the ride is very firm, it`s bordering on uncomfortable when in the passenger seat, but more bearable in the driving position. Motorway driving, it covers it`s speed a little to well & is a little louder than the zed, but it was a convertible. Open the taps & put it through the twisties & it`s an animal, on a tight B road It`s far quicker than my Zed, very easy to drive quickly, it does try to understeer when entering a corner quickly but a quick stab of the brakes before you turn in solves this, get the pedal down & the back just squats down & slings you out of the corner, the engine note and power delivery from 5k to the limiter is addictive. The brakes are good, taken from the e46 CSL I feel they are a little over assisted, as are the brakes in the 370z (my personal opinion) The steering is very direct although spoilt by a fat steering wheel that saps up some of the feel.

Although the Z4m is significantly quicker on the road than the 350z & probably the 370z. I wouldn`t sell up my Zed for one, The Zed makes you work for the rewards whilst the BMW just gives them to you. But if I was was looking at buying either a 370z or Z4m I would probably go German :ninja::surrender:

Although the Z4m is significantly quicker on the road than the 350z & probably the 370z. I wouldn`t sell up my Zed for one,

Which Zed do you have? A 276bhp one? In which case we have already established that the z4m with an extra 50bhp is bound to be quicker. But when you are talkin about the 313 350z or the 370z then there is very little in it. My zed for example, if you floor it in 2nd, will literally throw you back in the seats, the back end squats down, loads of grip and the revs hit 7500rpm before you know it, and mines the roadster so heavier than the normal 313 coupe.

The z4m is a very nice car, but I think at the end of the day its all about personal preference as to which one people like the look, feel, drive and the costs of.

Although the Z4m is significantly quicker on the road than the 350z & probably the 370z. I wouldn`t sell up my Zed for one,

Which Zed do you have? A 276bhp one? In which case we have already established that the z4m with an extra 50bhp is bound to be quicker. But when you are talkin about the 313 350z or the 370z then there is very little in it. My zed for example, if you floor it in 2nd, will literally throw you back in the seats, the back end squats down, loads of grip and the revs hit 7500rpm before you know it, and mines the roadster so heavier than the normal 313 coupe.

The z4m is a very nice car, but I think at the end of the day its all about personal preference as to which one people like the look, feel, drive and the costs of.

I think you need to take off those rose tinted glasses ;)

The MY07 zed has more BHP than the MY03 cars but is heavier (yours even more so as a roadster) and has less torque. The on road difference is negligible even if the MY07 'feels' faster in the way that it delivers it's power, in real terms there's virtually nothing in it.

The Z4M has the E46 M3 343bhp engine and is considerably lighter than the zed, hence why in performance terms it will knock a zed into a cocked hat. The ride may be compromised and may not be as comfy as a zed, but let's not pretend that it's not quicker than a zed just because you don't like it.

I'm not the biggest fan of the 370 but I'd still take it over the z4m. I think that shape z4 is very dated. When I was at uni the z4 (non m roadster) hadn't been out long and I thought that would be my first buy after graduation. That lasted about a week as I grew bored of it :lol:

Personal taste just like anything else

I think you need to take off those rose tinted glasses ;)

The MY07 zed has more BHP than the MY03 cars but is heavier (yours even more so as a roadster) and has less torque. The on road difference is negligible even if the MY07 'feels' faster in the way that it delivers it's power, in real terms there's virtually nothing in it.

The Z4M has the E46 M3 343bhp engine and is considerably lighter than the zed, hence why in performance terms it will knock a zed into a cocked hat. The ride may be compromised and may not be as comfy as a zed, but let's not pretend that it's not quicker than a zed just because you don't like it.

No rose tinted glasses here. ;) We have already listed the performance comparison of the 370z and the z4m earlier:

z4m

338bhp, 269lb/ft torque. 0-60 in 4.8seconds, 155mph, weighs 1420kg

370z

326bhp, 270lb/ft torque, 0-60 in 5.1seconds, 155mph, weighs 1496kg

So noone is saying that the 350 or 370 is quicker than the z4m. The conclusion I think is that there is very little in it in real terms on the road, both are great cars. The z4m maybe slightly quicker on the road due to it being lighter, but thats about it. Its all down to personal preference. :thumbs:

370z with uprev and exhaust/intake would give it a good go though.

370z - ~340HP and 1,466 kg (from wikipedia and the fact my car dyno'd at 308WHP which add transmission losses of ~30HP)

Z4M - 343HP and 1,495 kg (from some random article on Google)

Would make an interesting race :drive1

370z - ~340HP and 1,466 kg (from wikipedia and the fact my car dyno'd at 308WHP which add transmission losses of ~30HP)

But then your talking stock vs modded, and if you read my post I was referring to the 350z, not the 370z, as that was what Rabbitstew was talking about also :)

But then your talking stock vs modded, and if you read my post I was referring to the 350z, not the 370z, as that was what Rabbitstew was talking about also :)

Yeah I know he was talking about the 350z, I was just pointing out the 370z can easily be made to keep up, and probably cheaper than a Z4M would cost to buy :thumbs:

Yeah I know he was talking about the 350z, I was just pointing out the 370z can easily be made to keep up, and probably cheaper than a Z4M would cost to buy :thumbs:

I thought Z4ms were cheaper than the 370z??? I had a look a few times they can be got for 15-19k whereas the 370z is still 20k-25k second hand.

No idea what the tuning options are on the z4m though. I'm leaning towards the 370 again, it looks more manly, though next to the z4m it doesn't look at sleek. I even had a butchers at 996s - they have really come down in price and would make an interesting, albeit older, option. You even see 997s under 30k now.

Must admit I've not kept my eye on the Z4M's. When was the last year they were made? :blush:

Maybe I'd swing for a second hand Z4M then if they are cheaper than a 370z if you're looking for a second hand car and dont mind it being older.

Must admit I've not kept my eye on the Z4M's. When was the last year they were made? :blush:

Maybe I'd swing for a second hand Z4M then if they are cheaper than a 370z if you're looking for a second hand car and dont mind it being older.

There were only a limited number made between 2006-2008. As for the Z4M Coupe looking dated I have to completely disagree. I am swayed in favour of the German. I was initially and from all the replies I think it's the best option over a 370Z, which are more expensive. However come the summer I may have changed my mind again and go for a 370Z lol.

Ah I kind of assumed they were pretty much the same price, but looking at them on autotrader, they are sub-20k. Depends if you want to save a few quid and get one a few years old or get a nearly new 370z which would cost a bit more. I think if it were me I'd be having a drive in both and see which way it sways you.

Im pretty sure though that its hard to get more power out of the s52 as its pretty much perfect already. Its making way over 100bhp per litre too. Where as the 3.7 isnt running as good as it could. I have heard some mild mods and your running 350-360bhp.

You can compare stats all day long, just like playing top trumps, but 0-60 times don't mean much; they are written by the manufacturers and produce in a scenerio that no real driver can actually recreate.

and if you have to start comparing a car in modded form to try and improve the odds then its not really a fair comparison. especially when we're talking stock for stock.

i think some people need to realise that the Zed car in all its guises and models has been and is a great car, and will continue to be well into the future. i could even see it becoming a cult car that people follow way into the future. but its no the pinnacle of motoring, there are many other cars that do the job just as well and alot that do it even better.

by all means enjoy the car but don't sit in it with zed tinted glasses and believe this is as good as it gets.

i think cars are like sweets, and just like a kid in a sweet shop, you should get out there and try all the different flavours. some you'll like; and you'll keep coming back time and time again to try them and their new flavours, and other sweets will taste rank, and you'll never try them again.

All these cars make no "sense" at all and thats their charm. Comparing these 2 cars is always going to be heavily biased to one or the other as they appeal to the heart rather than any real logic don't you think? I love my recently acquired 350Z roadster and the way it has suddenly caused my 2 lads to be interested in going down to the shops with Dad. :lol: Wouldn't want the Z4 as I don't like the way it looks but a neighbour has one and he has the same goofy grin when he gets out of it as I do coming out of the Zed so I guess it also ticks all the right boxes. :yahoo: Lots of test drives of both?.... :drive1

All these cars make no "sense" at all and thats their charm. Comparing these 2 carhtts is always going to be heavily biased to one or the other as they appeal to the heart rather than any real logic don't you think?

Big ol' engines in good looking rwd coupe/roadster bodies make sense in my world :lol: