Solar Panels, Who has them ??????????

Pimm

Had the survey done and just need to sign the paperwork for the free 16 panels for 25 years. All seems good, approx saving of £200 a year, but the deadline for the goverment grant is December ish and just want to see if anybody else have had this done or bought them outright ?

You basically are renting part of your roof space out and selling the extra electricity you dont use back to the grid, this is how the companys are able to give the panels to you for free.

Any advice from you 350 zed car experts would be good :thumbs:

Thought about getting on the scheme, its essentially a government backed investment scheme which over 25 years guarantees you a excellent return on your initial capital. Would have gone for it my self especially with interest rate been at basally 0% but we'll most likely move house some time in the next 5 years so didn't see the point...

What does it say in the small print happens if you sell up before the 25 years is up and the new owners don't want the panels?? Theses companies that install panels for free are out to make money for themselves so they must have a way to ensure they don't loss out in their initial investment?

Thought about getting on the scheme, its essentially a government backed investment scheme which over 25 years guarantees you a excellent return on your initial capital. Would have gone for it my self especially with interest rate been at basally 0% but we'll most likely move house some time in the next 5 years so didn't see the point...

What does it say in the small print happens if you sell up before the 25 years is up and the new owners don't want the panels?? Theses companies that install panels for free are out to make money for themselves so they must have a way to ensure they don't loss out in their initial investment?

It should appeal to new owners having the work already carried out along with double glazing, cavity insulation done ect....moving house is no problem. You put your house up forsale and the new buyers will automatically gain on the savings you were taking advantage of.

Yes the company's giving you the panels for free are making the bigger bucks down the line but then I do not have to take out a massive wedge of dosh to get them in the first place.

Just had another call from the company and the goverment has given a deadline of 13th December meaning at the moment the electricity I generate can be sold back for 43kw but from the dealine they will only be worth 21kw so then all solar panels will be chargeable plus admin fee's.

might not be much use but my boss was offered this and she worked out in the end that it was better for her in the long run if she bought the panels herself. Not sure how she worked it out though or any more details than that I'm afraid! Do the sums on buying them outright yourself and see if it is :thumbs:

If you can get a good rate then this can be a good option I think, I may be moving soon and will want solar on my next property but probably wont go for the 25 yr deal as the technology could change significantly in that time and I wouldn't want to be that restricted. IIRC when selling the house the new owners have no choice but to accept the panels, which can restrict your market.

i have someone coming to quote for the work on saturday, but i won't be there now.

i wanted to see the paper work before making any decisions. i want to know how "free" free is.

is it free panels but i have to pay for the installation etc and other bits needed, or is all the parts and work free as well?

Also a point to note - on the whole the "free" scheme will only be offered if the location for the panels is south facing and with no shading from trees or buildings etc

but yes - its free fitting as well (normally)

Do these panels not de-grade over time, giving less output? Who is responsible for maintenance?

yes - although they are getting better (average stated life was about 15years - its now upto about 20)

they are - its their panels - not yours

i have someone coming to quote for the work on saturday, but i won't be there now.

i wanted to see the paper work before making any decisions. i want to know how "free" free is.

is it free panels but i have to pay for the installation etc and other bits needed, or is all the parts and work free as well?

Before the 13th December is it totally FREE, survey, admin, instulation everything but after that date the goverment has or will lower the buy back of electricity to 21kw(43kw at moment) so the companies are not going to make such profits hence then charge you for instulation, panels and other things.

if you can heath, go for the one you pay for. a chap in work has just done it. it was 10k but you get every penny back. it halfs if elec bill and he will get £1200 tax free back.

the one your on about has a few cons, for example if you need to work on the roof below the pannels, and they need removing you will have to pay for the energy they have lost. plus it may effect the sale of your house, as the new tennents will have to take it on.

ive also heard some morg companys wont give you one if you have that one

Before the 13th December is it totally FREE, survey, admin, instulation everything but after that date the goverment has or will lower the buy back of electricity to 21kw(43kw at moment) so the companies are not going to make such profits hence then charge you for instulation, panels and other things.

Pimm - not strictly correct - some may charge for it after that date but its unlikely.

The funding for the supply & installation is largely from banks and investors - they will still get a better return on their money, so the advice is that it will still be free fitment etc

My Mum and Dad are getting some fitted in the next few weeks :thumbs: They think they will have them paid off and start making a return from the electric in 4 years :teeth:

....... I think they are turning in in to Tom and Barbra Good..... they have already dug up the front lawn and made a veg patch :lol:

Just waiting for the "we've just got some chickens and a pig" :lol:

My Mum and Dad are getting some fitted in the next few weeks :thumbs: They think they will have them paid off and start making a return from the electric in 4 years :teeth:

....... I think they are turning in in to Tom and Barbra Good..... they have already dug up the front lawn and made a veg patch :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

erm.......unlikely...try more like 10-15years

My boss had the guy round today to check his house & give him a quote for this scheme. Apparently the only time they won't work is if they are covered with snow. Does the rate that is being paid stay the same for the 25 years from when you sign up?

apparently so - but I wouldn't like to guarantee it...........?? :wacko:

HI.

Be careful with these "Free" panels what do you know in life which is free..

Im just about to Qualify as a Sparky, A friend of mine had just set up his open business as a PV installer.

Some of (not all) of these companies that offer free panels make your life very difficult if you want to sell your house.

I personally know of 3 people who went for this but when they tried to sell there house the companies wanted to vet all new prospective buyers and kept refusing. This meant that these families could not move out they are all very stressed and upset as you can imagine.

Im sure, well would like to hope that not all are like this. but be very careful and make sure you read all the fine print. :thumbs:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

erm.......unlikely...try more like 10-15years

Well being Tom and Barbra Good's...... they already don't use much electric ;) ....... :lol:

I would reccommend buying outright if you can. Also invest in a bank of batteries and an inverter if you can to store some of that energy you are generating through the day when no-one is in. It's the main failing of most renewable tech that there's no storage built in!