Carbon Fibre Interior Feeler Thread

DannyBoy

About a month ago I decided some carbon fibre was definately needed on the inside of my Zed, so I had a look around and was pretty unimpressed with the options. It seems to me you're limited to stick on panels (only available for limited parts), or you can vinyl anything you like, but while I think the vinyl does look good in its own right, I don't really think it looks that much like real carbon.

So given that I've got some experience with composites, I thought I'd have a crack myself, and 4 weeks and three interiors later, i've got it down to a process that works and a result I'm happy with. Basically I covered the centre console, gear surround, centre dash and switch covers in a thin layer of 2/2 twill weave carbon, and polished it to a glass-like finish. below is (if i've done it right) a link to the only picture i have so far, which was taken with a phone in half-light with the car parked under a tree, so not the best but it gives an impression.

http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... AG0022.jpg

Thing is, it seems a shame to waste the weeks of trial and error developing the technique just on a one-off piece, so is this something others would be interested in?

The way i see this working is:

1. You say what you want: I can do the regular or coloured carbon, any colour accent (borders, dial housings etc.), any decals or logos over the top of the carbon (within reason), and any weave orientation (has to be 2/2 twill because plain isn't flexible enough, but it can go in whatever direction to make patterns etc) and I can actually change the shape of the dash as well (you'll notice there's no fascia spacer around my pioneer HU ;) ) so you could add dials and stuff or delete the cubby or pretty much anything really.

2. i make it: this will take a while, would probably be 2-3 weeks, and variable as it'll be a spare time job. I'll make no excuses for this as it's a thing that needs doing properly, cutting corners with composites really doesn't work. One difference is any i do for other people will have a laquered finish rather than bare resin for two reasons, firstly i really don't know how well this resin is going to hold up to UV whereas laquer is UV resistant, and secondly a laquered finish is what you think of carbon fibre looking like, my polished one isn't as glossy.

3. you recieve the new one and send me your old bits in exchange, this will make it much cheaper.

Cost would be IN THE REGION OF £400 for the whole set up like i have, with any colour, logos etc included, but dash modifications would cost more because it's significantly more work. £400 is considerably cheaper than the stick on stuff, and you cant get a stick on centre console! Trust me here, my time is coming VERY cheap, i'm not doing this to make money, it just seems stupid to waste a month of R&D on one piece if others want the same thing.

So, any interest in this or should i hang the tools up get a girlfriend instead?

DB

You'd obviously have to setup as a member trader, but I personally like the idea. I'd be up for a custom dash centre console and maybe amend the triple gauge area to house 6 gauges as I have some that I wish to install but would prefer a more professional look.

Better photos and close up of the weave and how you combat shaping would be helpful

Better photos and close up of the weave and how you combat shaping would be helpful

What I will probably do is if there's a few interested parties, do a completely new set from scratch using the same method that I would actually use for others, as i don't think mine is a representative sample if you know what I mean. And yes I realise i'll have to pay as a member trader if it comes to that :thumbs:

DB

I've spent best part of 18 months looking for a carbon dash that isn't A) Too expensive B ) Poor quality or C) Means me being without my dash parts for an extended period so YES I might be interested if you're going to meet those three requirements.

and cheesypuff isnt the only one!

Also interested :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...