Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

OMG! You over exaggerate some. Ever second car you drive with this tyre or that setup was a death trap. The car feels good with 235's. Intact better as you can get better tyres. Believe what you will though.

Driven a car with reduced stagger? Yup, and it was a bloody deathtrap, and I'd never ever do it again. To be fair it wasn't my choice of tyres anyway, they came with the wheels I was purchasing but the tyres got binned literally as soon as I got home.

But it was a death trap, would you like me to lie and say it was fine? I nearly killed myself on the M1 changing lanes when the back end wanted to overtake the front, which never happened on tyres that kept the stagger. If you want to run wider rubber then fine, just match it at the rear, it's not that complicated.

Never scrimp on tyres, brakes or condoms. That'll get you through life, that will.

But it was a death trap, would you like me to lie and say it was fine? I nearly killed myself on the M1 changing lanes when the back end wanted to overtake the front, which never happened on tyres that kept the stagger. If you want to run wider rubber then fine, just match it at the rear, it's not that complicated.

Never scrimp on tyres, brakes or condoms. That'll get you through life, that will.

I dont think so. Just beacause of a 1cm difference you nearly spun out. I drove a good 10k miles without a hiccup.

Just fitted 235/40R18 95Y XL TL VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA fantastic..........

It's even better at turning in & I was well pleased before, Gates Tyres Lillyhall Workington, Fitted all in for £120 each, Spot on,

Don't know what type of tyres you were running to make it a death trap!

Make sure your tyre pressures are up around 35psi?

I dont think so. Just beacause of a 1cm difference you nearly spun out. I drove a good 10k miles without a hiccup.

I wouldn't have thought it would be so bad on the Z to have a little more up front. even when deep trail braking with all the weight over the front the car still has a slightly understeery balance and this is when pushing very hard. As we all know most cars come set up like this from the factory to make them safer. If anything i would have thought a slight increase in rubber on the front would improve the balance of the car. :shrug:

• 4 weeks later...

It was 20mm, but it's more than enough to completely change the balance of the car. Do the same on the Zed and it's a 40mm difference.

I wouldn't have thought it would be so bad on the Z to have a little more up front. even when deep trail braking with all the weight over the front the car still has a slightly understeery balance and this is when pushing very hard. As we all know most cars come set up like this from the factory to make them safer. If anything i would have thought a slight increase in rubber on the front would improve the balance of the car. :shrug:

The Zed doesn't understeer because of the tyre sizes, it understeers because of the standard alignment settings. If you alter them out of the Nissan settings, you get a much more fun car. There's a lot of weight over the front too, so you also need to balance the weight as you enters corner to get a good turn in. :)

Apologies for the late replies (!), only just seen them.

All I can say is I should have sought advice before I bought my last set of tyres.

I have Bridgestone Potenza's 050A all round. 275/35/18 on the rear ans 245/35/18 on the front.

If I excellerate above 75% of full throttle in 2nd the rear of the car kicks out quite violently to the right

In the wet I tend to go from 1st to 3rd as it kicks out at 50%.

I know this sounds daft but if i have a passenger it hardley ever happens and if it does its easily controllable.

I dont recall this happening when I 1st bought the car and I had changed them to the above mentioned size b4

the uprev.

It still did not kick out.

It was not until I after I had the supercharger fitted that I really noticed it?

So until I run these tyres out of tread i have to put up with them.

As you know these tyres are not cheap.

But I can't seem to find any positive stories about the Bridgestone!

:headhurt:

The Zed doesn't understeer because of the tyre sizes, it understeers because of the standard alignment settings. If you alter them out of the Nissan settings, you get a much more fun car.

Please tell me more. i haven't had allignment done since i got the car about 18 months ago and am looking to get it done soon. would be nice to be a bit more pointy. :teeth:

But I can'r seem to find any positive stories about the Bridgestone!

:headhurt:

I've run them for 12K miles on the 911, and they're very good. They're not quite as grippy or communicative in the wet or dry as the Michelins, but they're a pretty close second. They do wear better though, I'll give them that.

Please tell me more. i haven't had allignment done since i got the car about 18 months ago and am looking to get it done soon. would be nice to be a bit more pointy. :teeth:

18 months?! Blimey, the wheels could be anywhere! :scare::p

Without getting too bogged down in detail, if you had the front wheels toeing out (i.e. pointing outwards from the car) then when you turn into a corner, the wheel is already pointing in that direction so it will turn in much quicker. You'll lose straight line stability at speed (meaning it can be a bit twitchy at motorway speeds), but then any alignment is always a compromise of something. If you had toe in, you'd get the opposite. Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here.

With camber, if you stand the tyre straight upright then when you turn into a corner you will lose a significant amount of contact patch, and so that tyre will suffer from lack of grip. If you add camber then you'll get the opposite, so more grip into a corner but increased inner tyre wear over long distances.

Combining the two into a combination that works for you is a true art form, and I'm not sure where you're based but Dixon at DMS in Erith did wonders for me on my car. Abbey should be able to do the same, or a multitude of places around the country. I have my cars set up with a little toe out and maximum camber at the front, and then the rears almost upright on the 911 but cambered over a touch more on the MX-5, which is probably more like the setup you'd want on the Zed. :)

Is this why my offside rear wants to overtake the front when I accelerate?

:drive1

Could the Brigestones grip better on the 911 due to the weight on the back axle?

ie the Engine being in the back?

The Ferrari 355 my mate has is fitted with 295/35/18 and I can throw that round corners and really does seem planted.

I am of the opinion that the 2 tyre makes no one has given the thumbs down is Falken and Toyo's.

To be honest there are so many different opinions that I don't think we will ever get a difinative answer!

But very interesting comments.

:thumbs:

Abbey just recently gave it its 1st MOT and they checked all the alignment for me.

When RSR tyres in Coulsdon put the wider tyres on and I fitted the spacers whilst they had the wheels off

I got them to laser align them and all seemed well and that was prior to the MOT.

It definitely did not do it before the GTM.

I have got used to it now, and like I said in the wet or ice I go from 1st to 3rd.

To be honest I never really had much chance to get the feel of a Zed before I got the supercharger fitted.

I looked long and hard to find a car with low mileage and one owner, as I intended to go down the FI route.

The car had 9000mls when I got it last July 2011

The car has now done 16000 miles.

Funny thing is it just does not do it when there is a passenger in the car as if it's trying to make a fool of me!

:dance:

Funny thing is it just does not do it when there is a passenger in the car as if it's trying to make a fool of me!

Maybe keep a sack of spuds laying around for when you're driving alone? :lol:

Make them chips and i will eat them.

I must get young Darren to kick it round a roundabout at the next meet!! :doh:

• 3 months later...

Falken 452 = excellent handling in the dry but a bit scary in the wet. They don't wear particularly well either

Falken Ziex 912 = terrible handling in the dry (makes the car understeer) but good grip in the wet. Fairly hardwearing.

You pays your money...

I will be replacing the 912s for 452s again when I have some spare cash

Edited by J_R

Bridgestone potenza 040 : absolute pants, good if u wanna drift or burn out.

Vrederstein ultrac sessentas : not tested to the full yet, but took a 90degree corner at 60 and gripped.

The re040's are actually a fantastic tyre for track use in the dry. They're hard wearing and grip very well once warmed up correctly.

Taking a 90degree corner at 60 :dry: Quick way to learn you can't drive

Bridgestone potenza 040 : absolute pants, good if u wanna drift or burn out.

Vrederstein ultrac sessentas : not tested to the full yet, but took a 90degree corner at 60 and gripped.

The re040's are actually a fantastic tyre for track use in the dry. They're hard wearing and grip very well once warmed up correctly.

Taking a 90degree corner at 60 :dry: Quick way to learn you can't drive

I wasnt a big fan of them, just seemed to wheelspin alot. Dry was okay, rain was shocking.

And corner wasnt my fault lol, but still stuck :D although i doubt my vreds are gna be much use in scotland when it snows

I'm going to try out the Toyo T1 Sport for my 18" Rays.

I've used T1R's on my MR2 for the last 4 years, usually 10k miles out of them but superb grip dry/wet.

Although it was a different tread on the tyre, as well as a completely different car I'm inclined to give them a go (unless a reason not to).

toyos work alright on a light car but i think they are pants on a heavy car.

I think what people need to remember is that everyones driving style is different, so different tyres suit different peoples driving styles. also tyres vary in reviews on cars depending on the width and profile.

- alot of people find a falken 452 on an 18" wheel and 55 profile is not very good

- yet put the same tyre on a bigger wheel and lower profile and it changes the characteristics of the tyre.

- what works on a light car doesn;t always work on a heavy car, and vice versa.

- if budget isn;t an issue get michelin PSS or similiar. they seem to be one of the few tyres that are good regardless of tyre size and car weight.

- with regards to changing all 4; in a perfect world you should have the same front and back; and if you need to change one you change both across that axle.

- in a not so perfect world just maintain the same across the axle and drive to the ability of the car' the road and the conditions.

- and avoid the dirt cheap, like nankang and linglong.

Abbey just recently gave it its 1st MOT and they checked all the alignment for me.

When RSR tyres in Coulsdon put the wider tyres on and I fitted the spacers whilst they had the wheels off

I got them to laser align them and all seemed well and that was prior to the MOT.

It definitely did not do it before the GTM.

I have got used to it now, and like I said in the wet or ice I go from 1st to 3rd.

To be honest I never really had much chance to get the feel of a Zed before I got the supercharger fitted.

I looked long and hard to find a car with low mileage and one owner, as I intended to go down the FI route.

The car had 9000mls when I got it last July 2011

The car has now done 16000 miles.

dance.gif

I wonder if its your diff, with the extra power is it not being delivered evenly to the rear axle. hence the uneven stability?

This thread in IMO is messy and totally unhelpful.

Would poll on the top 5 tyres be more helpful and then a review of those top 5 tyres individually (with separate threads for each tyre) so buyers could make a more informed decision?

It's a very important decision that just gets more confusing when you have to balance all these opinions posted in one thread.

Great tyres

MPSS

MPS2 (now discontinued but you may be able to get them)

Goodyear eagle f1a2 ( my faves ) and f1a

Continental contisport 3's (now discontinued but you may be able to get them)

Good tyres

Vreds ultrac sessenta (now discontinued but you may be able to get them)

Goodyear eagle f1 GSD3's (now discontinued but you may be able to get them)

Toyo t1r (now discontinued but you may be able to get them)

Falken fk452 (now discontinued but you may be able to get them)

Michellin Pilot sport 3

Uniroyal Rainsport 2

I have used all of them tyres except for the MPSS so thats from my experience.

Edited by Dblock