Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

Just a quick update guys.

Been running the pilot supersports for quite a while now a over 4k miles.

If you want the best look no further. A class above anything else and very hard wearing. Almost as hard wearing as the 040 stones. I know they are twice the price of an average brand like toyos but as I said..... For the best look no further.

Ps very strong on pot holes too although the side walls are very soft and probably better to be run at 36-37 psi for more accurate steering. :)

Sizes 245/35/19 f. 275/35/19 r.

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newb in the tyre game so please bear with me. I've read through the whole thread which has been really useful for manufacturer reviews. I currently have the stock potenza RE040 on my Zed and I too agree they are dodgy in the wet. They are due for replacement so I could do with a little help. As winter is approaching, should I be looking to get a set for winter and then next year get another set specifically for summer use? I may have got the wrong end of the stick here but people seem to be swapping their tyres a lot for different seasons. I thought road cars had a 'one size fits all' rule.

I would like to go on a couple of track days but my main use is getting from A to B and also having a blast on those winding country roads! Lots of people have said MPS2 are the best but they are one of the most expensive (especially if I need a summer and winter set!)

I have the 18" rays on so should I be looking for a specific width/profile and also should I run different sizes on the front and back?

Any help would be good :)

Simple answer is that winter and ZEDs are not good bedfellows. 6 years of ZED ownership has proved that - period.

And I do not shy away easily - Wales, March 2010

P1060841.jpg

But if you have to use the ZED in winter - yes a set of winter tyres is better than the stock Bridgestones/Michelins PS2's (or Supersports) etc as they are classed as summer tyres.

Tbh common sense dictates that you don't go and drive a sports car in the snow more than tyre choice. We've all done it, but that doesn't make it a good idea and the few times I've done it was when I got caught out and had practically no other choice. If there's (proper) snow out on the road, I would always leave the car at home.

Tbh common sense dictates that you don't go and drive a sports car in the snow more than tyre choice. We've all done it, but that doesn't make it a good idea and the few times I've done it was when I got caught out and had practically no other choice. If there's (proper) snow out on the road, I would always leave the car at home.

But I was on a recce in the Elan Valley area for the Wales drive in May :surrender::lol: :lol:

Had bridgestones before didnt actually mind them as they let the car go a bit but in the rain was dodgy they were on my jdm oems,then got Pirellis i liked them felt safer than the bridgys and still let car go a bit,

now got Rotas with super steels all round had them on for like 8 months now, traction control has not come on once at all, grip is great if you do spin up the wheels (takes some grunt) some serious smell of burning rubber is heading your way my missus hates it, never heard of them before i got them with Rotas and must say a very good set of rubber and still got some good feel of the road through them

Falken 452's.

These are perfect for both applications. They also give a superb ride, so much better than the RE40's and for about £480 a set (you may find them cheaper) I think they are excellent. I did 2 track days (well evenings actually) last year with 452's and the grip was very good. It's the suspension that limits the zed on the track not the tyres so the 452's will be ideal.

I picked up a puncture on one of the rear tyre, and it's been a few weeks since I bought my Zed. :shrug: The rear tyres were Dunlop SP Sport 9000s but I've replaced both with some Falken 452s. Just put them on today so I'll post some feedback in a few weeks once I've tried them out. Bought them from Camskill.co.uk - really low price and had next day delivery so if anyone needs new tyres I recommend using them.

I picked up a puncture on one of the rear tyre, and it's been a few weeks since I bought my Zed. :shrug: The rear tyres were Dunlop SP Sport 9000s but I've replaced both with some Falken 452s. Just put them on today so I'll post some feedback in a few weeks once I've tried them out. Bought them from Camskill.co.uk - really low price and had next day delivery so if anyone needs new tyres I recommend using them.

both 452s and Camskills well known on here ..... thanks, your input confirms good tyre/good supplier

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Thanks for all the replies, I thought I'd give an update on what I chose to

do. I ended up going for the Ultrac Sessantas (front 225/45/18 & rear

245/45/18). What a fantastic tyre. They are so much quieter and smoother

than the OEMs. The wet handling is just a completely different league to

the potenza 40s, hardly see the traction control light any more. Dry grip

is also very good. Took them to Bedford autodrome Monday just gone and they

seemed to be pretty good on the track too, with not too much wear (I was

expecting to get through a set!).

Got the fronts from camskill and the rears from click on tyres. £550 in

total (plus £48 for fitting at my local quick fit).

Cheers

Hennett

Good Idea :thumbs:

I think there are no really bad tyres made in these sort of sizes that the Zed requires(except Bridgestones of course ) , anything fitted will be an improvement over standard fitment,

I know it's a old post to quote but I had AutoGrip F107 on the rear of my Z when I bought it. Worryingly these are sold in the UK as cheap types in 18" Z sizes but are technically a Mud&Snow tyre. :wacko:

They are pants in the dry and truly dangerous in the wet, especially mixed with decent fronts - unplanned drifts at 20mph with light throttle!

Changed them all to Re050a DZs and haven't looked back. :)

Some very helpful reviews here - keep it up. :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

I noticed a small column in evo mag this month about AVON tyres saying they were pretty good. i go to watch quite a bit of racing and they seem to sponsor and supply tyres for a few british champoionships.

Just wondering if they can hold a candle to the best tyres on the market so if you have sampled them post away :D

• 1 month later...

Prompt help needed for my poor tyre which has a huge bolt sticking out of it!!

I was planning on changing my entire set from the Falkens to something a little more premium. I used to run the RE050's but swapped out to the Falkens to see how they faired and to be honest great value but lack performance. The problem is I need to swap out the damaged rear, do I go back to the RE050's or try something new? Problem is because this is an emergency I won't have the option to source the cheapest price so Bridgestones are out the question. I've picked 3 brands below:

Avon ZV5 XL £189.70 per tyre fitted

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric £202.90

Yokohama Advan Sport £218.30

The RE050a are coming out £238 per tyre fitted.

They are doing a discount for 4 tyre's so I'm seriously contemplating a full change.  Question is who's had experience of the above and can assist with providing an opinion. The problem I have is I really must get them tomorrow as I don't really fancy driving around with a bolt in the tyre.

Dan if you're there comments always welcome 

Advan Sports aren't as good as the rest of their range, wouldn't bother.

Never tried the Avons.

Eagle F1s are very good, never owned a set myself though and I always thought there was an issue with sizes/supply? Could be wrong there though.

Out of the three I'd go with the Goodyears. That said, I'd still pay the extra and get the 050s as you already know how good they are, but if that's not an option then so be it. No chance of repairing the tyre until you can get a better price on the 050s? Or running on the spare for a week? Not ideal, I know, but always an option if you're desperate.

Cheers Dan, I knew you'd come along soon enough :#1:

I was actually talking to Bennett tonight and he recommended a repair also avoiding the cost of high street tyre's until I find the right price 50's. I would have thought being it's a bolt it would be beyond repair but apparently it can :yahoo:

Apparently I need to find a British Standards repair done, so I'll make sure of that in the morning.

I also put the F1's at the top of that list, used them on my Focus and loved them but had troubles getting the size I wanted until they were discontinued in my size. Thanks again though Dan :clap:

After visiting a local tyre outfitter they said the rears are close to the wear markers to the point the really need replacing. They wanted £238 fitted for 50's so I've driven to work and local wheel place here I know will do althem fitted for £213 so they will be on tomorrow :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice Dan :#1:

I've got Goodyear Eagle F1's and cant recommend them enough - fantastic tyres in the wet or dry, and they're great on track.

Yeah I saw your review on them. I may step that way in the future - but as I have already purchased the fronts ready to go on, I thought I may as well go for the 50's on the back for a while.

I've got Goodyear Eagle F1's and cant recommend them enough - fantastic tyres in the wet or dry, and they're great on track.

Yeah I saw your review on them. I may step that way in the future - but as I have already purchased the fronts ready to go on, I thought I may as well go for the 50's on the back for a while.

:thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

i noticed that for another year on the trott evo have handed their tyre of the year award to the continental sport contact 3. seemed to outperform the competition in all areas, allthough my current tyre, the PS3 was rated the best for the way it fealt and inspired confidence on the road.

Anyway, some time over the next few months i will be putting all 4 new shoes on the Zed. a full set of CSC3s is £660 from camskill. which is considerably cheaper than the michelin PS3 (also noticed that the MPSS has dropped to around the same price as the MPS3)

Also i struggled to find the MPS3 in a 45 profile so have been running a 40 for the last year. allthough i think on some roads this has improved road holding, i am interested to see if it will improve the ride going back to a 45.

Anyway. has anyone ever run contisportcontact 3s, and if so what is you're opinion on how they run on a 350Z?

Thanks

Chris