Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

Greekman's right, the PS3s are aimed at the lower market and don't share too many of the PS2s characteristics. That's not to say they're bad, but they wouldn't be my choice. Michelin tried to get a bit too clever with their branding on this one and confused a few people methinks.

ahh well, thats a little annoying. however i did do a bit of researchg on them first and they get nothing but praise. they should be getting fitted this weekend

i understand dude, i can be annoying sometimes reading reviews on the internet. they are more like opinions and opinions are like ars..oles...everybody has got one :)

dont forget that the difference between the ps2 and ps3 may not be noticeable on every day driving...in fact the ps3s may be better for everyday driving. let us know what you think about them comparing to what you had before.

on another note my 050As scuderia are not ageing well. currently about 5mm at the rear and 7mm at the front. rear set has been changed once which means fronts are twice as old as the rears since they went on the car. The car is understeering quite a bit from slightly over that was before.

tyre pressures are spot on and set up hasnt been changed. didnt have the same issue when front and rears wore down the same.

i can only assume that its ageing ?

from September till January i had the rays on with the 888s and grip/balance was immense in the dry cold/freezing, good in the damp, average in the wet, scary in the freezing wet and ditch finding in the grit/ice :)

The pilot sport 3s are amazing. loads of grip and the Z now feels perfectly planted and stable, even at speeds that im not aloud to quote on the internet. Had them fited around lunch time and since then i have driven though wet and dry roads and some puddles. they have performed brilliantly in every case. On the limit, and a bit beyond it the feedback is fantastic. i know excactly what the car is about to do. also the tyre roar has reduced a LOT!

up until today i thought there was something seriousley wrong with my Z. it just turns out that the combination of half worn 040s on the front and new Kaiser ditchfinders on the back, which is how the car was when i bought it, was making the car wobbly, slippery, noisy, unpredictable and dangerous. - i actually thought that i might have som seriousley worn bushes the drive was so bad.

the fact that i have put 40 profile tyres on instead of the usual 45 has had no effect on the TC (allthough i dont have it on very often) and i imagine them being slightly lower profile has just enhanced the amazing change that the Z has been through today.

Verdict on the Michelin PS3s - :#1: fantastic tyre and the price isnt too bad either. obviousley i can't compare them to the PS2s as i have never used them, but i think most drivers will chicken out before the PS3s give way.

on top of this i fitted my Pop-charger just before taking it to get the tyres fitted. car now sounds like a propper V6 rather than a bit of a dreary old tired one.

Needless to say i have had a very fun afternoon, finally being able to drive my Z how its meant to be driven.

Is this improvement worth the £650 that it cost to change all 4 tyres. without a doubt yes, and if you cant afford it, go and sell one of your kidneys. it really is worth it!

even at speeds that im not aloud to quote on the internet. Had them fited around lunch time and since then i have driven though wet and dry roads and some puddles. they have performed brilliantly in every case. On the limit, and a bit beyond it quote]

Probably not the best idea on brand new tyres. It's best advised to go steady for a couple of hundred miles to ensure that the release agent used in the moulds has worn off fully. Generally the last thing you here from a tyre fitter worth his salt is 'go easy for a bit'. Thankfully you seemed to have got away with it, otherwise you may have been accusing the Michelins of being 'ditch finders' too! :lol:

Still, glad it's all sorted for you, now :drive1

Hi Guys,

I have a totally factory standard 07 GT and i've just finished a good hard drive on a set of Bridgestone 050A's. During the life of the car ,which I've had from new, I've had 3 sets of tyres, 040's, 050's with the 050A's being the latest. All my driving is done with the traction and stability control left on.

The 040's are 'OK'. They are the noisiest of the 3 types and I found they gave me the worst fuel consumption. They were fine in the wet and good enough in the dry, I found they gave loads of under steer which was all very safe but very annoying at times!! But they did give very good feedback from the road.

The 050's were very good whatever the road conditions and gave me the second best fuel consumption. Very good feel from the road and I always had the feeling I knew what each wheel was up to in a corner. When pushed they would provide subtle under steer but I always had the feeling they were about to suddenly let go and I'd be in over steer very quickly.

Now for my latest purchase the 050A's. By far the best of the three types. Good even when the road is lightly damp and the dust and crud has been lifted of the road surface when you get the nasty squirrely 'ice rink' feeling. Excellent feeling from the road and very quite. They also gave me the best fuel consumption, I'm up on average 2.8 miles per gallon over the 040's. Again the give an under steer response when pushed but it is very subtle to the point of neutral.

So for my money the 050A's are they best of the three. Strangely all three were the same price per full set within about £20 quid, i.e. £650ish for the four. I bought the 050A's from formula first tyres in Weston Super Mare, excellent garage and they beat the next best quotes I had by over £100, I paid £660 for the full set fitted.

Just had a set of Vredestein Ultrac Sassantas fitted after being supplied by The Tiremen in Yorkshire.

Fantastic service. Two day delivery for £9 per pair. Fitted for £10 a corner by a local tyre fitters.

Right from leaving the garage, the car was immediately quieter and more planted compared with the horrible RE040s that I inherited with the car.

Amazing difference and would recommend them to anyone. Good value to at £140 each for the rears and £125 for the fronts.

Look pretty too! :)

Nokian WRG2 Winter Tyres - put on car (06 MY GT) 2 days before the snow hit Derbyshire in November and boy are they good. It has turned what used to be fear of driving the car in the snow into fun.

In deep snow the only problem I had was ground clearance. I could go anywhere I wanted with excellent traction and braking. Traction control works well with them allowing some slip, like in the wet on summer tyres. On top of all this they are not any noisier, rolling resistance seems the same and are V speed rated so feel fine on Motorway. These were some of the cheapest options (got them from mytyres for £500 delivered) but usefully come in the OEM sizes front and rear and are a respected winter tyre brand.

When weather not as bad they have much more grip than my 'normal' tyres when it is cold and just as much grip in the wet. Braking in the wet is not as good and the steering is not as sharp in the dry but grip is fine. Having driven for a few thousand miles on them I have forgotten they are on, so must remember to switch when it gets warmer!

Thoroughly recommend getting winter tyres and if you want a good option go for the Nokian's.

• 1 month later...

Michelin pilot supersport.

Had them fitted yesterday and so far driven on dry warm tarmac.

I can defo say Michelin have the upper hand again against bridgestones. By quite a margin as well. They feel and seem softer on the road. Steering typical Michelin. Dry handling just short of the 888s. Dry braking better than the ps2s. Noise level about the same as the stones.

More to come...

Ps... Haven't paid yet...but they are very very expensive :wacko:

I can defo say Michelin have the upper hand again against bridgestones. By quite a margin as well. They feel and seem softer on the road. Steering typical Michelin. Dry handling just short of the 888s. Dry braking better than the ps2s. Noise level about the same as the stones.

More to come...

Which Stones are you comparing to?

More to come...

Which Stones are you comparing to?

Only one type of stones 050As. I ve gone through several sets of 050As, ps2s on 18 and 19 inch rims, 40 and 45 prof on the 18s...so far about 10 in total...oh and 2 sets of 888s 40prof on 18 rims.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am currently looking at 2 new rear tyres for my car, and what i want is something in the lower ish bracket which is reasonable road performance.

Fait Coupe Owners (my old car) always rated Kumho and Falkons highly so am curious if anyone can reccomend these (adn i assume they are the right tyre for my car - they are the standard alloys on my car.

Main dealer wants £215 per corner for bridgestones and that includes a 10% discount and I just cant afford that at moment (I am also looking for front disks, front pads and rear pads - ouch!)

cheers

M.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?d ... P&dsco=110

Hi

.......... always rated Kumho and Falkons highly so am curious if anyone can reccomend these (adn i assume they are the right tyre for my car - they are the standard alloys on my car.

Falken 452s are good :thumbs: , lots of peeps here have them, but try to keep same tyres all round if you can

im running a set of hankook v12 evo's and there the absolute nuts! my previous set were toyo proxes and they are miles better in every way. loads of grip and noticeably quiter than both the toyos and the re 040's i had before them. really well priced too :thumbs:

So far over my 2 zeds i've had several sets of wheels tyres... here's my opinions on them...

Bridgestone RE040A's... Very loud for road noise, reasonable dry frip but not so good in the wet.

Bridgestone RE050's... better than the re040's in all respects.

Avon Z33's... Good name (for the car), and i was very impressed with the tyre. Reasonable levels of grip, but what i liked the most was that they broke away from grip in a very predictabe manner, making good fun 'frift' tyres...

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics... have these on my 19's currently and all i can say is 'Wow'. The car is basically glued to the road in the dry and wet - absolutely fantastic tyres.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend the Falken 452's, after the stock Bridgestone RE40's it came with wore out I swapped before Christmas and it drove like a different car even in the cold - you can get them from Camskill for not much over £100 a corner.

If you get all four done at the same time I'd reckon it's worth getting the wheels laser aligned as well - cost me about £50 from Big City Tyres in Nottingham, although I know friends who've paid a bit less (and a lot, lot more at a main dealer - BMW quoted a mate £275!)

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics... have these on my 19's currently and all i can say is 'Wow'. The car is basically glued to the road in the dry and wet - absolutely fantastic tyres.

Used to use these on my 400bhp Supra and by far the best tyre I've ever used.

What size are you running as I'm sure when I looked they weren't available in 275/35/19 ?

• 2 months later...

My MPS3s need replacing on the rear. they have been FANTASTIC! however when looking at buying replacements there are 2 kinds, one with (AO) at the end of the code. anyon1 know what this means? they are 9 quid more each than the none-(AO) ones

EDIT: I think it might mean that its OEM for certain cars, forget i asked :D

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newb in the tyre game so please bear with me. I've read through the whole thread which has been really useful for manufacturer reviews. I currently have the stock potenza RE040 on my Zed and I too agree they are dodgy in the wet. They are due for replacement so I could do with a little help. As winter is approaching, should I be looking to get a set for winter and then next year get another set specifically for summer use? I may have got the wrong end of the stick here but people seem to be swapping their tyres a lot for different seasons. I thought road cars had a 'one size fits all' rule.

I would like to go on a couple of track days but my main use is getting from A to B and also having a blast on those winding country roads! Lots of people have said MPS2 are the best but they are one of the most expensive (especially if I need a summer and winter set!)

I have the 18" rays on so should I be looking for a specific width/profile and also should I run different sizes on the front and back?

Any help would be good :)