Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

Found the formula thingy :)http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual ... calculator :thumbs:

Ok, I've talked to my tyre guy and he suggested the following ( he has a 350 Z and has done something similar on his and says it hasn't upset the TC):-

Fronts 245 x 45 x18

Rears 265 x 35 x 18

Will this work and is it worth the extra rubber at the rear? :wacko: Is there a formula somewhere to work out the rolling radius? :)

It would seem that, according to the calculator linky below, that 245 are the max for an 8inch rim, thoughts and comments please. By going for 265's x 35 at the rear this would make the speedo inaccurate, 265's x 40 would be virtually spot on. Blimey this is confusing, if the site below says 245 are the max for 8 inch rims then why do folk fit others? My prime concern now is one of safety? Where's Ekona or Zedmanalex when you need them? :lol:

Found the formula thingy :)http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual ... calculator :thumbs:

Ok, I've talked to my tyre guy and he suggested the following ( he has a 350 Z and has done something similar on his and says it hasn't upset the TC):-

Fronts 245 x 45 x18

Rears 265 x 35 x 18

Will this work and is it worth the extra rubber at the rear? :wacko: Is there a formula somewhere to work out the rolling radius? :)

I must admit, that was the way I was starting to think and I think I'm going to go for VUS 245 x 45 x 18 all round :thumbs:

just fit the correct size tyre for the wheel; replace like for like witrh the OEM wheels. if you want more rubber, buy bigger wheels.

I knew you'd pick upon this and now I can ask the question. Why? The reason I ask is because the vehicle was supplied to me in July with brand new 040's 245 x 45 x 18 all round!! Today I had a txt from Doogyrev saying he had 225 x 45 x 18 on the front and I was a bit puzzled as I naturally assumed that 245's were standard, if they are and there's a good reason for 225's ( I know there will be) then I'm all ears :):thumbs:

I must admit, that was the way I was starting to think and I think I'm going to go for VUS 245 x 45 x 18 all round :thumbs:

I do hope you mean 225/45/18 on the front and 245/45/18 on the rear...

This is info I have gathered today and to my knowledge is accurate, it may or may not be useful when considering tyres at the moment and you should double check yourself as the situation will change.

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 245 x 45 x 18 Rears - available

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 225 x 45 x 18 Fronts - "none in the country and on back order, won't be in the country before mid March" If you order them direct from Vred then you won't get them before May, i.e. you go to the back of the queue.

Toyo Proxes T1R Only fronts available, these tyres are apparently now discontinued and will be replaced with an asymmetric tread pattern, release date in the UK currently unclear.

This info is from tyre manufacturers and major on line distributors, you maybe lucky and find them at smaller local tyre distributors but I couldn't. :thumbdown:

I hope this is useful. :)

Changed from Bridgestone RE40's on my 18 inch standard wheels that still had plenty of tread but killed a tyre and didn't want to get another crappy RE40. Bought Falken fk452's all round from camskill last month. Road noise at least 20% less. with the RE40's I thought there was a hole in the car the noise was that bad. Tyre walls seem to have a touch more flex than the bridgestones but upped tyre pressure to 37 and that sorted it. Wet and dry handling much improved, no more loosing the back end when not expecting it, you would have to screw the car to get the back end out now, and i love the car to much to treat it like that.

Also have bridgestone RE50's on my 19" volks for summer grip is fantastic in wet and dry, much tighter cornering feel, less wall flex, road noise not as good as the falkens but i think thats down to profile on different size wheels. run these at 35psi.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I read all 18 pages and would like to get some Vredesteins as they seem the best value for the money. Sadly, no can do at the moment. My tyre supplier is trying to flog me Yokohama Advansports. Anyone know about these? They say they're Y rated, have a harder compound and will outwear other brands and that Yokohamas are/were supplied as original equipment tyres on 350Zs. Hhhhhmmm? I'm not concerned about track performance but would like good roadholding particularly in the wet and improved ride. Currently the car has 040s front and 050s rear.

:huh:

Hi

I read all 18 pages and would like to get some Vredesteins as they seem the best value for the money. Sadly, no can do at the moment. My tyre supplier is trying to flog me Yokohama Advansports. Anyone know about these? They say they're Y rated, have a harder compound and will outwear other brands and that Yokohamas are/were supplied as original equipment tyres on 350Zs. Hhhhhmmm? I'm not concerned about track performance but would like good roadholding particularly in the wet and improved ride. Currently the car has 040s front and 050s rear.

:huh:

First off, your tyre supplier is talking nonsense as the 350Zs have never been supplied with any of the Yokos, only ever Bridgestone as I suspect you already know. Never used Advansports myself, I did look into them briefly as an alternative to the MPS2 however the extra cost put me off. From your post I suspect you want tyres at the cheaper end of the market, so if that's the case I'd beg, borrow or steal the money to get the VUS. I'm aware of the supply problems, but unless you're desperate that's where I'd spend my money.

That said, if I've misjudged it and you're looking at tyres in the Advansport price-range, then you'll not find better than the MPS2. The RE050As are very close as well, and I suspect you're getting dodgy wet handling characteristics because you've got mixed tyres front and back: Swapping to RE050As on the front will cure the understeer you're getting in the wet.

ok, so after recently buying my Zed and having clocked a few hundred miles now i can conclude that.

the kaisers on the rear that are pretty much new are dangerous. never buy this tyre. in the dry i have no confidence in them and in the wet i feel as though they are actively trying to kill me. on the motorway as well as in corners and accelerating. they are CRAP! they ahve to go.

the 040s on the front dont dill me with confidence either, however it is hard to test them properly as the crappy rear kaisers mean the cars balance has a tendancy to oversteer.

my last car was a golf GTI turbo with 220bhp with KW springs / shocks and Eibach anti-roll bars. it handled fantastically well and could corner MUCH faster than my zed on its current tyre set-up which is a little depressing. People seem to be raving on about Falkens in here but i must admit i tried them on my golf (18x8 FK452s) and i found that they were; ok in the dry but lacked feel. awefull in the wet (allthough not as bad as these kaisers) and wore out quickly. - i found the goodyears (cant remember the model) and 050s i had on before were much better.

i know that the 350z is a different car but my past experience with these tyres does not seem equal to all the hype that they are getting on this thread.

the Toyo proxes seem to have been well recieved on here too, but im struggling to find somewhere that does the correct size for the Rays.

i'm wanting to splash out on all 4 corners over the next week or so but i dont want to regret my decision.

the most important feature im looking for is grip on both wet (i live in the lake district. lots of rain) and dry roads and high speed stability. at 4th gear speeds the current tyres are scary. lifespan is not so important to me as i would much rather sacrifice mileage and have better grip and traction.

I am probably looking around the £200 a corner mark as a maximum (good tyres at less than this is fine though :D )

Just totted up for some MPS2s. anyone ever used these before? i would have a look around see if i can get a better price but i still think it would be quite pricey.

Michelin Pilot Sport 2

2 x 245/45 R18 Y (100 ) £451.56

Michelin Pilot Sport 2

2 x 225/45 R18 Y (95 ) £399.94

My Fitting Option:

Mail Order £12.00

Order Total: £863.50

around the same price as these are the Pirrelli P zero rossi.

not had any experience with either but if anyone has feel free to let me know :)

Whilst I haven't used PS2s myself, research indicates that they are very highly rated. The tyre review sites I have looked at rate them as either their number 1 choice or very close to that.

Many people seem to say they would have them if they could afford them. Hopefully someone who has them will come along shortly.

Toyo t1r's have stopped getting made. They are change the tread pattern to an asymmetrical patern. That how you can't find the sizes :thumbs:

Didn't know this, but thank god! I'm assuming then that they're promoting the T1-Sport as their new sporty tyre then, which from the tread pattern alone looks to be a much improved design. Not quite available in Zed sizes, but I'd happily run 225/40/18 and 245/40/18 on the car.

sold. hehe. guess thats me skint for the next month. :lol:

I did read most of the thread but started skimming a little when i saw it was 18 pages. i spoke to my mate tonight to see what he is running. he has MPS2s on and said theyre excellent. and i'll take Ekonas wor'd for it. started raining on my way back tonight and the kaisers, well.... :bang:

think i'll try and get them changed as soon as possible.

Toyo t1r's have stopped getting made. They are change the tread pattern to an asymmetrical patern. That how you can't find the sizes :thumbs:

Didn't know this, but thank god! I'm assuming then that they're promoting the T1-Sport as their new sporty tyre then, which from the tread pattern alone looks to be a much improved design. Not quite available in Zed sizes, but I'd happily run 225/40/18 and 245/40/18 on the car.

So, Dan, can you run 40's instead of 45's. I think I saw the Vredesteins that I'm after available in 225 x 40 x 18s. Would the ride be harsher because of the narrower profile? Presumably it's not ok to run 45s rear and 40s front. Think I saw the answer to that question somewhere else and it was a no no.

Jack

Some people have had issues with their TCS systems when running 40 profile tyres in the stock sizes and as such I used to give the blanket warning that it was best not to use them as the car clearly didn't like it very much. However, I have run R888s on both road and track in 40 profile on the Zed, and I had absolutely no issues at all. As such, I personally believe that driving style is more an issue with the TCS than tyre profile, as the more I got used to the car the less the TCS ever kicked in for me and that was before I swapped to the R888s.

If you're smooth on the controls and very rarely have the TCS flash up at you (unless you've been deliberately brash on the throttle) on the dash then I can't see any reason why you shouldn't run 40 profile tyres on the 350Z, assuming you keep the stagger front to rear the same. :)

i just ordered some pilot sport 3s. the PS2s were difficult to get hold of as well as being considerably more expensive, possibly due to the lack of stock.

The PS3s have a 40 profile, however i rarely use drive with the TCS on anyway ( i would rather have a little bit of slip than the TCS kick in and totally upset the balance of the car) so i dont think it will be an issue.

I will post a review of them when they've been fitted and i have racked up a few miles.

i just ordered some pilot sport 3s. the PS2s were difficult to get hold of as well as being considerably more expensive, possibly due to the lack of stock.

The PS3s have a 40 profile, however i rarely use drive with the TCS on anyway ( i would rather have a little bit of slip than the TCS kick in and totally upset the balance of the car) so i dont think it will be an issue.

I will post a review of them when they've been fitted and i have racked up a few miles.

According to Michelin they are not the replacement for ps2s but more like a more all weather sports tyre. ps2s are more of a summer performance tyre. Will be good to see your review anyway but that's why the ps3s are cheaper.