Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

How about we have a tyre guide, many members are unhappy with the brigestones and many have also changed then. It would save on a lot of the same questions being asked over and over.

We all know that changing the tyres can make a huge difference and it would be interesting if a review of these tyres was made up.

Good Idea :thumbs:

I have tried

Bridgestones = useless

Falken 452's = Excellent grip in the cold and wet (dont know about wear )

Continental's = good grip (not as good as Falken's though in my experience)

I think there are no really bad tyres made in these sort of sizes that the Zed requires(except Bridgestones of course ) ,

anything fitted will be an improvement over standard fitment,

tyre choice as in most things that cant be measured is down to personal preference / price / availability / looks :)

I only have the Bridgestones on my car and so far i find them ok but useless in the wet, icy and on muddy roads.

In the dry, one they have been warmed up, i find them really good and stick pretty well, however i do find that the front suffers from understeer at times, which to me is a bad bad thing.

In the wet/icy/etc i find the rear very twitchy and the front again suffers from understeer.

I have found them to be quite lasting so far (I have been trying out burnouts for fun and to see how good they are when hot) and they have not gone down at all on the rears.

I will update in a few months when they are wearing down a bit more

Swopped the front Bridgestones - part worn and noisy as hell - for FEDERAL's. Cheap as chips and so far a great tyre.

Good grip wet and dry and NO NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did a bit of looning around in a car park the other day - because I can OK!! :p - and they were very predictable. So far a top replacement!!

Ming the satisfied - well it is Christmas

Bridgestones on first, okay in dry but in wet seemed pants.

Next was Dunlop SP9000, did not get on with them so took them off after 2k miles. (I think they go off badly when really pushing it on track)

Then Toyo R1, best bet for grip, however was more wear, did 12k still so not that bad. (really good for track work.)

Now got the SP's back on for another 1k and not convinced. So back to Toyo when these wear out.

I had the RE040's on at the start and found two things I didn't like (before trying any others on the Zed)

a) The cabin noise seemed to be too much.

B) The traction control would kick in far too early on the front wheels as the tyres wore. (this got worse in the cold)

However, I wouldn't say OVERALL, they were awful. They weren't good in one kind of condition and rubbish in another. Just generally OK all round, but probably not what you'd want on a performance coupe.

I've now gone for Toyo Proxes T1R's. I have to say, that the first thing I noticed was the cabin noise - big reduction. As for the grip, well I haven't had the traction control light doing it's pikey garden Xmas show on me. So much better, can properly drive round those motorway slip road bends at speed and enjoy it. Very good in both wet and dry conditions, and a predictable feel when cornering.

Other tyres tried in the past on other cars were:-

Yokohama A539 - see Toyo comments, loved 'em.

Dunlop Sport SP9000 - Good, but not great.

BF Goodrich (somethings) - Great in the wet, often caught the Yoko's out (had then on the front and Yoko's on the rear of my Volvo - my head got very well acquainted with the a-pillar!!)

Pirelli P6000 - please puncture immediately and use the rim of the wheel itself. :D:p

I had the RE040's on at the start and found two things I didn't like (before trying any others on the Zed)

B) The traction control would kick in far too early on the front wheels as the tyres wore. (this got worse in the cold)

What kind of Z is that? a Mazda 350Z? :p

Btw when posting tyre reviews, please add the model of the tyre. Its no use saying "i had pirelli's and they sucked, then i got michelins and they rule", if the pirelli's are P6000 and the Michelin is Pilot Sport 2.

;)

What kind of Z is that? a Mazda 350Z? :p

That's what happens when you brake in a straight line and make your turn in, you load the front of the car! ;):p

Hi Guys

I have just done 550 miles in two days in the Zed and as well as averaging just over 26 to the gallon the car has performed faultlessly.

There has been a mixture of conditions including a torential downpoor and standing water and the front tyres - FEDERAL UHP - were great. Solid planted and even when I aquaplaned at over 80 they picked up as soon as the touched tarmac and apart from the noise of hitting the water you would not have known.

I am more than impressed.

Ming the safe

I hated the Bridgestones and got rid as soon as poss. Reasonably decent on a track cos you're able to generate far more heat into them. Definately a summer tyre, completely useless in damp/wet/icy/mud/overcast/dew/snail mess etc etc etc - basically anything that isn't nice & hot.

I've been running Falken FK452 for about the last 9-10k and they're still wearing well. Very grippy in the dry and much, much better than the 'stones on anything else.

I also considered the Toyo T1R at the time I got the Falks, the reason I didn't plump for Toyo was that I reckoned overall they were very similar but the wear rate SHOULD be slightly better on the Falkens as they are a slightly harder compound iirc.

Guess it depends what you want to spend, I didn't really want to go over about £450 which meant I was limited. If you've got a bigger budget I would suggest you spend it.

Also I'd steer clear of any recommendations of tyres from other cars (no disrespect whatsoever to anyone thats posted those comments) as tyres perform very differently on different cars.

• 5 weeks later...

From personal usage on different cars:

MPS: 4/5 (Great all weather tyre, though expensive,predictable on limit)

Toyo Proxy T1-S: 4/5 (Great in cold wet weather, predictable on limit,havent used in heat yet)

Bridgestone Potenzas SO2: 3.5/5 (Good in Hot weather, a little soft)

Nankang NS2: 3/5 (Excellent Budget tyre for everyhting except maybe tracklaps)

Bridgestone Re040: 2.5/5 (Average)

Bridgestone Turanzas: 2.5/5 (Average)

Ventus Plus: 2/5 (Ok in hot summer, but crap in wet & hard as rocks, crap,cheap)

I have the Michellins and I have to say at the moment I think their pants, could be as the roads are very greasy though, but will change to Toyos as soon as I change my wheels

It is pretty slippy round here at the moment mate with all the salt on the roads and we haven't had a proper rain to wash it away. I'm finding the same with the Toyo's the damp is causing a really greasy layer, so it might not just be your Michelins. ;)

I have to say mi michelins pilot Sports with around 300 miles on them are GREAT... very limited Traction control activation, good feel as to when the car is reachingt the grip limit and then very progressive , controlable oversteer... all this in the recent wet. sludgy, greasy roads I have had to deal with!

I am very happy as I don't consider myself a good driver but I can confidently control the car when I get a bit "excited"

I could not recommend them enough... :thumbs:

Only ever had Bridgestone RE040s :thumbdown:

Had them on CTR too, they were :thumbdown: on that too.

I've been impressed however with the lack of wear on the rears. However, they're not happy when it rains...I live in Scotland...it rains...a lot :angry:

From reading through the thread, the Falkens sound good...they're well priced too.

Ross