Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

vredestine ultrac sessenta

295 30 r19

265 30 r19

today out of curiosity while the monsoon season was in, there was an inch of standing water and it was still bucketing it down. on a normal tarmac straight flat road i gunned from a slow roll it to see what the grip would be like :blush: went through 1st, 2nd to 3rd flat out.

no TC light at all, felt like a dry road :blink: im both impressed and surprised. didnt lose grip at all. how can this be!! :scare::#1:

also driving down the mway with inch of standing water, i could feel the difference in resistance having wider tyres, felt bogged down a bit but definitely no aquaplaning whatsoever at 65mh and it was a huge amount of untouched water.

soo glad I wasn't behind you John .... you must have been kicckin' up lots of water (!)

PS "(!)" is my new sarcasm smiley

Don't buy Falken 452 tyres. :thumbdown:

This is what happens at low speeds on a (hardly) damp track doing 40ish and then accelerating hard.

Useless grip and could have been very costly. The tyres are only a few months old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6J8hfNJeyw

Also, TCS is cutting in severely and much more often than used to happen with the origianl (so called crap) Bridgestones.

Won't be going near them again.

these are the less commonly used cheaper falcons?

No..the 452 is the more expensive version..the ZE 912 is the cheaper version. Thanks for the video captain..u pay for what u get i suppose..should have gone with vredestein ultra sessanta :bang:

:thumbs: I will next time I think.

Looks like possibly you put the throttle down too early and on the wet line on the track? As you spin round you can clearly see the inside apex line on that corner is damp whereas it's much drier on the outside, so possibly your front tyres were on the dry part as you accelerated off on the wet part, causing the back to overtake the front. Given that the 452 and their reputation, I'm struggling to see how that was totally the tyres fault. Did you have the throttle controller on SP* at all, as that will have huge implications when driving on a wet track (VOE).

Looks like possibly you put the throttle down too early and on the wet line on the track? As you spin round you can clearly see the inside apex line on that corner is damp whereas it's much drier on the outside, so possibly your front tyres were on the dry part as you accelerated off on the wet part, causing the back to overtake the front. Given that the 452 and their reputation, I'm struggling to see how that was totally the tyres fault. Did you have the throttle controller on SP* at all, as that will have huge implications when driving on a wet track (VOE).

SP7. Of course. :teeth:

Right, that's why then. That's far too sensitive for a wet track (hell, it's too sensitive for a dry one!) and you've put down too much power too quickly on a damp track. No point blaming the tyres on that. :)

Well I guess you've got a lot more track experience than me so you're probably right.

I still think I'll upgrade next time round. :thumbs:

Don't buy Falken 452 tyres. :thumbdown:

This is what happens at low speeds on a (hardly) damp track doing 40ish and then accelerating hard.

Useless grip and could have been very costly. The tyres are only a few months old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6J8hfNJeyw

Also, TCS is cutting in severely and much more often than used to happen with the origianl (so called crap) Bridgestones.

Won't be going near them again.

Absolute crap!

I've done 3 track days this year at Silverstone (the new GP circuit and the old old with Bridge corner) in my 350Z (with 452's), two in the dry and one starting dry then wet towards the end of the day. I've had the car sliding in all the corners with absolutely no problem with the tyres. The 350 tells you when things are getting out of hand so you have plenty of time to sort the car out on the track so you don't have an off!. I've also been out in the wet with no problems at all when others were going off - I was really surprised with the level of grip. Its not the grip that is the problem with the 350Z on the track (with 452's) - its the level of roll. I know this could be improved by stiffening the car up and possibly lowering it, maybe losing some weight but then it would make a @*!# car for the road.

Last track day out I had a pro driver with me and he said the same - the roll is the problem not the grip.

Suggest you get some tuition on your next track day.

Star Performer 245/45/18. Cheesy name says it all...Anything but is all I can say.

Okay - so before I get any abuse about putting cheap sh!tty tyres on my beloved Zed please let me explain :surrender:

Firstly - they weren't cheap - in fact they cost me more than Toyo Proxes, which I usually get.

I was caught out by a slow puncture (screw stuck in) which was too close to the wall to repair. This was on a Thursday. On Friday, I was driving from Salisbury to the Isle of Skye (north of Glasgow fab drive - another story...). So, do I risk driving over 1000 miles round trip on a punctured tyre, or get the only ones in stock at the only place open (National Autocentre, nothing wrong with the service I got) which were the aforementioned 'Star Performers'. Sadly, and crying as they were mounted, there was only one safe choice.

They were crap - and this was after 200 easy motorway miles to break them in mind. Even on road as dry as Ghandi's flip flop, the back was all over the place, even on gentle slip roads! etc... In the wet, my Zed's arse wasn't the only one quivering! :scare:

Worse thing was - I was hardly able to enjoy the drive to Skye, which I had looked forward to for months, because this rubber was scaring the sh!t out of me.

So - to sum up the obvious, don't buy these. They are in my garage as emergency spares - I wouldn't even insult anyone by trying to sell them on.

Silver lining - picked up a couple of rear Proxes on fleabay for £160, done less than 500 miles!! :thumbs:

a very interesting tyre review in the autocar i received through the post today....

please tell :)

long story short its a proper nightmare as a certain tyre may be perfect on 205/65/16 lets say and the same tyre almost bad on a 225/50/17 size. if you can get hold of the magazine read the article.

nankangs for ever...no matter what the size you know what you are buying....haha

a very interesting tyre review in the autocar i received through the post today....

please tell :)

long story short its a proper nightmare as a certain tyre may be perfect on 205/65/16 lets say and the same tyre almost bad on a 225/50/17 size. if you can get hold of the magazine read the article.

nankangs for ever...no matter what the size you know what you are buying....haha

I note also that 30 profile 452 sidewalls look soooooooooo much better than 45 profile

Absolute crap!

I've done 3 track days this year at Silverstone (the new GP circuit and the old old with Bridge corner) in my 350Z (with 452's), two in the dry and one starting dry then wet towards the end of the day. I've had the car sliding in all the corners with absolutely no problem with the tyres. The 350 tells you when things are getting out of hand so you have plenty of time to sort the car out on the track so you don't have an off!. I've also been out in the wet with no problems at all when others were going off - I was really surprised with the level of grip. Its not the grip that is the problem with the 350Z on the track (with 452's) - its the level of roll. I know this could be improved by stiffening the car up and possibly lowering it, maybe losing some weight but then it would make a @*!# car for the road.

Last track day out I had a pro driver with me and he said the same - the roll is the problem not the grip.

Thanks for the erudite response Valveman.

I don't remember you being in my car when I've clocked up 150 laps at Castle Combe or the 3 sets of tuition I've had. Must be my age. :wheelchair:

Ekona has very kindly already identified that he thinks using the D1 is not a good idea and as he seems to have a lot more track experience then me, I'll take his advice and turn it off.

However, I'm still unimpressed with the tyres and will be changing next time round.

Absolute crap!

Thanks for the erudite response Valveman.

I don't remember you being in my car when I've clocked up 150 laps at Castle Combe or the 3 sets of tuition I've had. Must be my age. :wheelchair:

Ekona has very kindly already identified that he thinks using the D1 is not a good idea and as he seems to have a lot more track experience then me, I'll take his advice and turn it off.

However, I'm still unimpressed with the tyres and will be changing next time round.

What about tyre pressures - did you reduce them before going out on track because if you didn't this will have a huge impact on grip levels. My first track day about 10 years ago in 964 Carrera RS and I spun off on the warming up laps with an instructor leading us around just showing us the track. The tyre pressures were 32 psi before going on track but when I got back they had gone up to 45psi so I was only running on the centre of the tyre. I took me 3 sessions to get the pressures right so I had proper grip, and ended up with about 15-20psi coming out of the tyre....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read through the whole thread and now I cant decide what tyre I want!!?! Fronts at the moment are useless in the wet (some budget dealer rubbish) and I defo need a good tyre in the wet!!

Had Eagle Asymmetrics on my ST and I loved them! No ones really commented if they are just as good on the zed??

I think its between the Asymmetrics, Toyo T1rs and FK 452s. For wet roads which are the best? I'm not to concerned with the best performance in the dry because thats such few days up here and I make use of the motorbike on those rarities! :lol: