Tyre guide: post your tyre review here

Stew

Pirellis are crap. No feedback, wet grip is poor.

I would recommend a set of FK453s (based on other's experience with them), and a good geo setup. For the latter, let us know whereabouts you're based and I'm sure someone can recommend somewhere local. :)

With regards to wearing on the inside edge, that's pretty normal for a sports car as camber is your friend when it comes to fast road driving. You can have a more neutral setup, but you'll have less grip because of it. If it's extreme wear though, then that's obviously not great and a balance can easily be found.

I've just changed to MPSS all round - what a difference they've made!

I previously had Falkens on the front and RE50s on the back, but wanted to get a full, matching set and all 4 needed changing.

Considered going with the Potenzas again all round, but after reading comments on here, bit the bullet and paid the extra cash for Michelin, and I'm so pleased I did!

Most noticeable is front end grip - the Falkens had never felt understeery, but MPSS is like being on rails! (Ok, reality check, new tyres are always going to feel better than ones with 2mm left, but the Zed never felt this good on the Falkens, even when they were new).

I would definitely recommend them if you can find the extra bit of cash!

So, what did I do wrong ?

Everyone else asks about tyres and masses of feed back and advise, when I ask just two replies !!

Feeling all hurt and left out :cry:

Thinks I have the answers now though on others threads - just need to check out prices

Missed yours :blush:

MPSS have a special inside section dedicated to wet weather driving, although tbh pretty much any decent tyre will be fine for driving in wet and cold. Obviously winter tyres are significantly better in sub 7c temps, but you have to live with increased noise and reduced feel and performance in the proper dry to compensate. Honestly though, millions of drivers for decades have managed to survive British winters without needing winter tyres, and you sound like a pretty sensible person by not using yours in the snow so I reckon you'll be fine. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Felt it important to post back here after I used the forum to help me research tyres. First an apology; Although I comment on Falken tyres im not sure on the which model of tyres although have found consistant faults from two different purchases. I appreciate that this wont be 1specific enough for some, but hope that this is still helpful.

My last car was a Mitsubishi FTO, when I bought the car it came with a set of Bridgestones, the tyres where fine, but when time came to change them the garage sugested Falkens and of course offered a good price. I found the Falkens good in the dry and lethal in the wet. I would always drastically change my driving style in the wet to compensate for the lack of grip. I then changed to Goodyear Eagle F1's and never looked back, great in the dry and the wet and always reasonable price I purchased set after set of F1's. To be frank it didnt matter what the new F1 was it performed the same.... I was never dissapointed.

I now have a 350z and have had it for a couple of years. It came with a set of Falkens on it. Now initially I thought that it must be the sheer torque of the 350z that it always wante to break free on roundabouts. As the tyres wore driving the car in the wet became a real handful in the wet and then recently went through the Slip light + traction control problem that I thought was an electrical problem...

Well after research decided to go for the F1's again. I replaced all 4 allthough the front Falkens had plenty of tread. This was after readin the article on this site about not mixing tyres (very wise). Well considering I have no interes in tyres from a style perspective, I have no interest in the tread pattern asthetics, the words on the outside, or whats fashionable... I want them to grip in all conditions, quite is a bonus only for a sports car and as cheap as possible is pretty high on the list.

Well...

I cannot express how fanstic the F1's are, they constantly impress me. I would love for them to be cheaper, but got all four for mid £600 which seemed reasonable. Now the weather is is turning horrible I have been pushing the car harder and harder (from time to time...just to test) and slip light hasnt flashed once, grip is solid.... what more can you ask for.

So if you are looking for new tyres for your 350z I strongly recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 2's

I hope that this review helps!!

James

• Like 1

Hi All

I made the terrible mistake of putting budget tyres on my 350z - The grip is rubbish in the rain and I never feel confident when braking, Now I am looking to replace them and I have a budget of 600-800 I have read a lot of reviews on here and I am still lost. I don't understand why an A rated wet grip tyre by one manufacturer is so much cheaper than say a C from another i.e Pirelli and Continental.

What is it that you are paying for?

I made a mistake once and will be binning 4 tyres after only 6 months, I don't want to **** it up again, any help would be great.

J

Is it grip or feel you want? Something like the 453 would give you the former at the expense of the latter, or the VUS (if available) will be the opposite.

Of course, you could just get the MPSS and get both, along with much longer life from them, but you would break your budget. Worth every single penny, mind.

Thanks for the replies. It is more grip than anything tbh. I was looking at the Pirelli P Zero or continental sport contact 5 as I thought spending more would be better than the 453's but if they do similar job then the saving would be great. Do you think I would see a big difference from cheap budgets to 453's?

If the sizes are right one of the drifting lads on here might take the old tyres to shread the sh!t out of them :teeth: with regards to the new tyres, MPSS, the Falkens are a great tyre for price and performance but if you are just looking at grip levels then its MPSS all the way :thumbs:

Thanks - I'm going to bite the bullet and get the Pilot super sports. Stretching the budget quite a bit but I don't want to get stung again. £871 on Black circles on the finance package. Tax is due this month too :dry: The price you pay for having a nice car haha - Now to get a bumper resray after skidding into someone and a long overdue alloy wheel refurb.

Thanks - I'm going to bite the bullet and get the Pilot super sports. Stretching the budget quite a bit but I don't want to get stung again. £871 on Black circles on the finance package. Tax is due this month too :dry: The price you pay for having a nice car haha - Now to get a bumper resray after skidding into someone and a long overdue alloy wheel refurb.

Try tyre universe and "ilovetyres" both normally £150 - £170 per corner for MPSS. They will be worth it as the wear rate on them is top notch

Thanks - I'm going to bite the bullet and get the Pilot super sports.

Try tyre universe and "ilovetyres" both normally £150 - £170 per corner for MPSS. They will be worth it as the wear rate on them is top notch

As above. Tyre universe were a few hundred pound cheaper than all the usual suspects last week for a set of 4 mpss.

I got 2 X 275/35/19 and 2 X 245/35/19 MPSS for around £800. Everywhere else was over a grand.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Changed from 275 wide 452's to 245 wide RE050's for winter and they are shocking in the wet! Everyone on here loves the Potenza's but at present I am not feeling them.

Not everyone, I didn't enjoy them, neither did the roundabouts on my commute. I do very much enjoy my MPSS :)

• Like 1

Changed from 275 wide 452's to 245 wide RE050's for winter and they are shocking in the wet! Everyone on here loves the Potenza's but at present I am not feeling them.

Not everyone, I didn't enjoy them, neither did the roundabouts on my commute. I do very much enjoy my MPSS :)

MPSS is the dream but still got 4mm on the Falkens to destroy first! That will be my first job in spring!

Dan - couldn't get those Blizzak, so I've ordered instead the Michelin Alpin PA4. Approved by Porsche so I'll guess they're Ekona approved too hopefully? :lol:

They will take a week to arrive, not sure why but will give a winter report once winter is in full swing.

Well, I did say I would've gone for the Michelins myself! :lol:

True, true.

Bridgestone don't have the winter tyres I wanted in stock till next year :doh:

The Michelins have great reviews so I guess I'll be a 8 wheeled Michelin man :lol: