Back Box removal

marksman45

Mine was a total nightmare. My car had only done 22k miles, but omg the nuts and bolts on the exhaust were seriously rusted and seized. No amount of penetrating solution and gentle persuasion would loosen them. In the end I had to cut the old back box off. Once free from the main system, then trying to manuvour it off its rubber mounts was again a nightmare. Even lubing them up with WD40 didnt help and I had to get a crowbar in and lots of swearing before I got it off the mounts.

Wouldnt recommend it.

I took mine to my local garage and helped them with it,sheared one of the studs from the flange,found easiest way was to unbolt 2 of the hangers from the chassis,was easy to put the replacement one back on after that..Charged me £35.Still got the now repaired back box!

Yeah think I will use the Garage, mine look well corroded, I also assume there is a Gasket on the joint that I will need? tried to sort this with my local Nissan garage and what a waste of time they are, they took my number and said they would get back to me as they said they wouldn't have it in stock, and so I sat waiting.

In the end I called them again and it seemed a lifetime before someone answered and I explained that I was having trouble getting the parts department to answer, so the main office said they would leave them a message and that they would phone me shortly.. still nothing

So when or if I ever decide to buy a car, it will not be from a Nissan dealer, because I could never rely on support from them.

Anyway enough ranting, where's another place I can get a Gasket without the hassle lol...

Presume u tried to use Nissan stealers on Southwell Road,what a load of crap they are,used them once ,never again.Gordon Lambs at Chesterfield are better.When i changed my exhaust was told the 'crush ring' was a factory fit item,if that was removed then a gasket was a subsequent replacement.

yeah it was southwell road, still not heard from them, will go to chesterfield also, thanks for the tip.

You will all be pleased to know I am having it changed today, got my wife to drop it off at a Garage we use near our work in Burton on Trent

he is also going to weld mine, so now I have a spare : )

Thanks for all your help and advise guys.

The Forum rocks.

Mark :clap: