Weight of Rays vs standard 18s

andylb

Hi all,

I am one of the few people who prefer the look of the standard 18s to Rays, sorry if that is heresy on this forum!

I note that rays often get advertised as "lightweight" so I just wondered how lightweight they actually are compared to a standard 18.

Had a search and a google and couldn't find the answer.

Anyone know?

And in comparison, the stock 18's weight a whopping 25.56lbs each, which is a 7lb difference per corner of unsprung weight! :scare:

It's a very noticeable difference, trust me. Your call will be slower in acceleration and won't corner or brake as well as it does with the Rays on.

Hmm interesting figures,

A 10% reduction in weight results in a 4% increase in mpg.

7lb per corner is 28lb or 12kg, which is roughly a 1% weight saving.

Therefore rays give a 0.4% increase in MPG

Every little helps!

When I ordered my zed in 05 I declined the 18" RAYS as I also preferred the look of the standard 18s.

I still enjoy my zed but haven't experienced lighter wheels.

In 08 I finally purchased some RAYS.......but the 19" LMGT-4 variant.

Apparently these are about the same weight as my standard 18s so I'm still none the wiser :lol:

Still got my pristine original 18s coz I still think they're gorgeous and suit my V1 kitted zed better than the 18" RAYS.

Ooooh a thread I can comment on :D

My 350z (2005 vintage) came with standard alloys - I too upgraded them to the LMGT4 Rays. There was definitely a significant weight saving - sorry no stats just based on comments from the guys who fitted them to the car and me picking up one of each to compare.

Cheers

Rob

PS Now driving a 370z - anybody upgraded the wheels on one of these yet?

The 19" LMGT's are actually just over 20lb's a corner, so they are just 2lb heavier than the 18" Rays.

When I was admiring the Zed when first launched I didn't really like the Rays and always preffered the stock alloys.

It was getting close to my purchase time and all of a sudden from years of admiring the stock alloys - the Rays all of a sudden jumped out at me and said.... "We're the ones!". So erm, that was it, choice made.

The 19" LMGT's are actually just over 20lb's a corner, so they are just 2lb heavier than the 18" Rays.

But massively lighter than the notoriously heavy GT4 wheels which iirc are knocking on the door of 25lb :wacko:

Thats why they gave the GT4 20 bhp more, just to drive the extra wheel weight :lol:

And in comparison, the stock 18's weight a whopping 25.56lbs each, which is a 7lb difference per corner of unsprung weight! :scare:

It's a very noticeable difference, trust me. Your call will be slower in acceleration and won't corner or brake as well as it does with the Rays on.

Tyres weigh more than either wheel (12-13Kg) and make up the bulk of the inertia. The weight saving for wheel + tyre is only 12-15%.

Front: 23Kg vs 20Kg

Rear: 24Kg vs 21Kg

But massively lighter than the notoriously heavy GT4 wheels which iirc are knocking on the door of 25lb :wacko:

Thats why they gave the GT4 20 bhp more, just to drive the extra wheel weight :lol:

Interesting.... 25lb, that be a heavy wheel :thumbdown:

Tyres weigh more than either wheel (12-13Kg) and make up the bulk of the inertia. The weight saving for wheel + tyre is only 12-15%.

Front: 23Kg vs 20Kg

Rear: 24Kg vs 21Kg

Which is yet another reason to stick to 18" wheels, well said :thumbs:

12-15% is quite a lot, imagine trying to save 180-225kg from the main body of the car. In reality it would be worth even more than that given that it's unsprung mass too!