Question about Synthetic Oil

kano

I've got a service coming up and have been looking for a good oil to use. I know I want a fully synthetic 5w30 oil. I've spent a LOT of cash on the car recently (tyres, DBA discs, DS2500, HEL lines, RBF600) and don't really want to stump up too much cash for oil if I can help it, although I do want something of good quality. I don't track the car but I do give it a 15 mile blast over country roads 4-5 times a month.

I've been looking at Fuchs Titan XTR which seems to tick all the boxes, affordable, conforms to ACEA A5, decent brand, etc. Oilman has it here: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-991-fuchs-t ... e-oil.aspx

However, it is quite cheap and I've always thought you get what you pay for. Also this statement is putting me off a little:

http://mazdarotaryclub.com/forums/archi ... 29805.html

In it, Fuchs seem to say that XTR is actually a mineral oil dressed up as a synthetic oil and they can only get away with calling it synthetic in the UK? So in Germany for example, would Titan XTR be classed as a mineral oil?

I'm a bit confused at the moment, I might just go for an ester based oil such as Fuchs Pro S just to make life easier! But then again, that would be dearer and probably offer me no advantage over the £30-40 price oils for what I do in the car.. :wacko:

As a simple rule of thumb, oils under £40 at full price for a large container (4 or 5L) will tend to be modified mineral oils, over £40, they should be a genuine synthetic. Oils like the Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Gulf Competition and Redline are top quality ester based oils, not mineral based oils. The cheaper ones like XTR, Magnatec etc are fine for road use in a standard car, but modified or track cars should use something better

Forgive me mate but I think you have got your priorities around the wrong way, good oil should come first then things like uprated brake pads etc. Can you hang on abit longer and pay out for the good stuff?

I'm getting the oil for my next service in a few weeks time. The brake discs were badly worn and needed replacement urgently, the rear tyres were down to legal limit, so didnt have much choice. Ok, HEL lines and motul fluid were a bit extravagant but thought I might as well with ds2500s and dba4600s discs!

After reading quite a lot I'm more than likely going to get 5L of 5w30 Pro S, my rationale is that it'll save 1-2% fuel over 5w40 which in this day and age is worth a fair bit, also hopefully any oil left in the 5L container will be enough to top it up until the next service as it shouldn't burn too much off being fully synthetic, so I won't have to pay £15 for a 1L top up bottle as I usually have to!