Anyone been to a Full Moon Party on koh phangan?

nurrish

So i'm leaving the 30th of this month and going on a world tour ending in Aus for a year or so. First stop is Thailand and there's a FMP on the 14th of August :D anyone experienced one before? having a nightmare looking at places to stay :wacko: seems most options are what look like sheds with a fan!

So i'm leaving the 30th of this month and going on a world tour ending in Aus for a year or so. First stop is Thailand and there's a FMP on the 14th of August :D anyone experienced one before? having a nightmare looking at places to stay :wacko: seems most options are what look like sheds with a fan!

Ohhhh yes!! Done a pre full moon party and a full moon. :thumbs::thumbs: My girlfriend and I went December 2009. We stayed well away from Haad rin as its pretty dodgy (thief's operate in this area) and accommodation isn't good! You can stay pretty much anywhere on the island and get back and forth. Taxi's are everywhere!

I will give you a very good bit of advice for when you are partying. When you go to buy your drinks (Buckets) from one of the 10,000 drink huts, get them to give you the bottles and poor it yourself! I caught them swapping a bottle of Bacardi for something else and they are all doing it!! please trust me on this! It spoilt the night when i caught them doing it because I couldnt trust anyone making drinks!

Its one hell of an experience though!! You will love it! Stay away from the flaming skipping rope too!! Seen some nasty wounds pottering about!

I stayed on Koh Samui, for about four quid (well this was about 8 years ago!) you can get on a speed boat across to Koh Pang An, you get a little wrist band which you then produce when the boat rocks back up at about 5am or 6am - mind you you have to wade out to your chest in water to get back on the boat :lol:

I remember drinking mini buckets of some fire water mixed with sprite through straws and spending about two hours laying on my back on the beach watching the world go by...truly tremendous event.

If you want a sneaky cool relatively unheard of place to totally relax kick back afterwards and you got the motivation to get across Thaliand, I recommend Hat Railey, its fantastic and have been there twice now.

Ohhhh yes!! Done a pre full moon party and a full moon. :thumbs::thumbs: My girlfriend and I went December 2009. We stayed well away from Haad rin as its pretty dodgy (thief's operate in this area) and accommodation isn't good! You can stay pretty much anywhere on the island and get back and forth. Taxi's are everywhere!

I will give you a very good bit of advice for when you are partying. When you go to buy your drinks (Buckets) from one of the 10,000 drink huts, get them to give you the bottles and poor it yourself! I caught them swapping a bottle of Bacardi for something else and they are all doing it!! please trust me on this! It spoilt the night when i caught them doing it because I couldnt trust anyone making drinks!

Its one hell of an experience though!! You will love it! Stay away from the flaming skipping rope too!! Seen some nasty wounds pottering about!

Thanks for the tips...but i think a flaming rope will be too enticing when im trollyed :lol: :

Would you suggest staying towards the upper end of the island?

Was in Thailand in 2007. Stayed on Koh Samui at Bophut. We went to FMP, got speed boat for £20 a la Miami Vice style, all to ourselves. You don't then pay the taxes to enter Koh Phangan. Boat comes back for you at agreed time. For us was 5am. We had to be up and out for trip next morning at 8am. Staying in Bophut is nicer than Chaweng and cheaper for boat to FMP.

Ouch do the skipping rope lol or the slide of fire :lol:

I would strongly recommend you ignore this advice! :lol::lol::lol: Stick to the foam party!

Dude you need to live and have a bit of fun lol. Just do it once or twice.... its the nuggets that try and do it for 5 mins that ends up in trouble. But yes the foam party is good...... altho they should call it the naked foam party :lol:

Thanks for the tips...but i think a flaming rope will be too enticing when im trollyed :lol: :

We stayed in Ban Tai. close to the B52 resort. Cant remember the name of our accommodation.....something bungalows? Wasnt the best but it had a cool bar and it was cheap. It was known for travelers. You have a better chance of getting accommodation up that way and its generally safer. You wont struggle to get transport to and from the FMP. If you are there for a few days, I would recommend you going to a pre full moon party too! We had a better night at the pre!

This is bringing back so many awesome memories!! I cant believe how utterly mental and incredible the FMP is!! I want to go back!!

I would also recommend the flaming rope! if i hadn't been with my GF, i would have been all over it! :teeth:

I went in October last year and spent 3 nights in Koh Phangnan for the Pre-Full Moon and Full Moon Parties ...

I gotta say it was the best holiday ever! :yahoo:

We stayed at the Power Beach Resort which was also in Baan Tai ... it's not far at all and you'll want the peace and quiet after partying till the early hours of the morning ... I think we got back around midday after both parties ... It's CRAZY!

If you walk to the far left of Haadrin Beach there is a place called Mushroom Mountain ... it's a bar that sells nice cocktails and other things ...

Like others have said ... just don't get too careless and you'll have a great time!

I'm really jealous .. I really want to go back this year but I think I might give Rio a try instead ...

:thumbs:

If you go to Bangkok, then I'd stay there at most 3 nights. It is certainly an experience, but you can see everything in that period of time. Watch out for the dodgy Tuk Tuk drivers and always demand that Taxi they put the meter on. They will rip you off otherwise. Also be careful that when you get picked up from the airport, that they don't drop you off in the middle of nowhere (i.e. at a travel agent, on a random road with nothing for miles, resulting in us having to pay even more for an extra taxi).

I was in Bangkok and Phuket back in October 2010. Had a very memorable experience. It was fantastic, crazy, eye opening and daunting all at the same time. I don't regret any of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Keep your wits about you and you will be fine... Or do what I did and go with someone sensible to look after you :lol:

Im screwed then :lol:

Just booked 5 nights here B)http://www.phangancottage.com prices go up crazy amounts over fmp dates...

We stayed next to this place! It was being built at the time so they should be very nice! Make sure you go to the English pub before you head down to the full moon party! Very good food that will set you up for the night/morning! :thumbs:

Yeah only in bangkok for 3 nights. Then i have booked 4 nights in phuket then 4 nights in Koh Samui and then 5 nights in Koh Phangan......after that its all about winging it and see where our noses take us B)

We spent a month in total on Koh Samui! Far far too long but we spent 2 weeks there with my brothers for Xmas and new year. Nicky beach is a very cool bar on the south coast. Dr Frogs restaurant done amazing food and we nailed the cocktail menu....that was a good night :teeth: .........I'm going to have a guess that you're staying near Chaweng? That place is mental with 24hr bars! Make sure you keep an eye on the kids walking around at night with games asking to challenge you, one took money from my pocket but I caught him and flipped! They are very good thief's!

One thing above all that you will never forget.....Sang som buckets!! Woooohmamma! I'll say no more :wacko:

Yeah were staying at Samui First House Hotel right on chaweng beach :teeth: Sounds right up my street! Going to find it hard not to get pi**ed every night!

Counting down the days now! flying out on the 30th! both excited and nervous!

As per what everyone has said keep your wits about you. It may sound obvious but dont attempt to buy any drugs during your the party as undercover police and informants are known to frequent the parties. Never came across anything myself but have heard of horror stories. TBH 3 days in bangkok prob isnt enough and id have gone up to chang mai rather than 4 days in phuket but each to their own. either way youll have an awesome time. stayed here last time we were on koh samui http://www.kirikayan.com/. Friend owned a bar on koh phangan and it is the nicer island but quieter etc.

We stayed in Ban Tai. close to the B52 resort. Cant remember the name of our accommodation.....something bungalows? Wasnt the best but it had a cool bar and it was cheap. It was known for travelers. You have a better chance of getting accommodation up that way and its generally safer. You wont struggle to get transport to and from the FMP. If you are there for a few days, I would recommend you going to a pre full moon party too! We had a better night at the pre!

This is bringing back so many awesome memories!! I cant believe how utterly mental and incredible the FMP is!! I want to go back!!

I would also recommend the flaming rope! if i hadn't been with my GF, i would have been all over it! :teeth:

Ahhh b52, we could walk about 300m out into the sea and it was still only knee deep.

I rented a jeep to drive down to haad rin, the most disgusting roads I've ever driven on! Underpowered scooters just had to stop and walk them up the 20% inclines, the handbrake didn't work and 3rd gear liked to only stay in for a second.

As per what everyone has said keep your wits about you. It may sound obvious but dont attempt to buy any drugs during your the party as undercover police and informants are known to frequent the parties. Never came across anything myself but have heard of horror stories. TBH 3 days in bangkok prob isnt enough and id have gone up to chang mai rather than 4 days in phuket but each to their own. either way youll have an awesome time. stayed here last time we were on koh samui http://www.kirikayan.com/. Friend owned a bar on koh phangan and it is the nicer island but quieter etc.

Chang Mai was amazing! We were lucky enough to catch the water festival and it was mental with fireworks!!

My favourite place though was Pai! Oh god what a place!! :cloud9:

Good advice by the way! :thumbs: