Wheel sealant durability test

HEADPHONES

For years I have used wax or sealant more frequently on my alloys than the bodywork, sometimes as often as twice a month in winter. Thus I have never found the need to use anything but regular bodywork shampoo to wash the rims.

Chemical Guys wheel guard has been my weapon of choice as it contains cleansers negating the need for claying or dedicated paint cleansers when used regularly. As I am nearing the end of the tub I thought I'd test it's durability a bit more.

I last applied it to my 4yr old LMGT-4s 4 weeks ago on my daily driver zed.

Each week I wash them using WATER ONLY, hosing gently using a mf cloth for gentle agitation simultaneously.

Week 1. Still very slick finish. Hardly any agitation required.

Week 2. Similar to week 1

Week 3. Slickness decreased but still cleaning up easily with good beading.

Week 4. Needing to agitate a bit more around nooks and krannies around spokes.

Still beading well with the face and rim spotless.

Rougher surface of wheel backs/inners now picking up a tinge of brown stain that is

not shifting with the water and mf.

By using only water I hope to get the most out of the sealant durability wise.

It also halves my cleaning time. Don't reckon you could get much gentler cleansing regime for the rims either.

I will try to upload pics this weekend.

I bought some of the C5 stuff, will be putting it on mine this weekend, will let you know how it goes...

I'd be very interested as i've read alot of good stuff about GTechnic on detailing world. About to order some C4 myself. I was a little apprehensive about their paint sealant due to it being so tough it has to be machined off if you mess it up. I might order the C5 next if you give it the thumbs up

I use my Autoglym polish on the wheels as a sort of sealant. It brings out the shine plus puts an protective layer over the paint which the brake pad dust goes over, making it an easier job to clean after a month or so, and no staining or anything on the rims so I guess it is working! :)

C5 has just gone on, will see how it goes over the coming days...i bought the smallest bottle (cost about £35) and it only just had enough for the outside face of my alloys, havent even gone near the reverse side - might need another bottle and wheels coming off to do that.

Week 5

Still cleaning up easily with a gentle wipe of a MF under a slow trickle of water from a hose.

Beading on the spokes is tight.

Still beading on the polished rim.....but not as tight. Probably gets more of a bashing from the brake dust here.

AND BEFORE ANY CLEVER CLOGS GET EXITED.......I KNOW......I MISSED A SPOT ON ONE OF THE SPOKES :lol:

I put some C5 on mine Friday, woke up this morning and the feel to the wheel was much better. Driven it about 20 miles and usually already the dust is gathering but at the moment nowhere near as much on there as before...

Hi Wayne :wave:

The nano stuff from "the Wolf" seems to be selling like hot cakes especially the Body Wrap.

What were you using before on the Volks and how does it compare to the Wolf's?

How would you rate the cleaning capabilities of this new sealant? ie does the applicator show up a lot of grime that's been cleaned off the paint?....... your Volk's probably don't go long enough between paint cleansing to show any dirt :p

I was using Billberry as a cleaner and rim wax or CG wheel guard as a sealant.The wolf stuff hardly foams and looks as if it's doing nothing as a cleaner but seems to shift brake dust easily plus it's sealing aswell saving loads of time.

I would still probably put a dedicated wheel sealant every 6 months then use the wolf stuff as a general cleaner with the added sealant thrown in.

Well, three days in and 200 miles covered, wheels are dust free and looking very shiny, very happy with my C5 so far! Some of the grime is starting to reappear on the inside of the wheels that didnt have the C5 on it. (before any of the eagle eyed among you say, I am aware there is a bolt missing on the rim)

IMG_0449.jpg

Well, three days in and 200 miles covered, wheels are dust free and looking very shiny, very happy with my C5 so far! Some of the grime is starting to reappear on the inside of the wheels that didnt have the C5 on it. (before any of the eagle eyed among you say, I am aware there is a bolt missing on the rim)

IMG_0449.jpg

If that pic is true representation the lips do indeed look dust free.

Seen many sealants make cleaning easier but never one that is DUST FREE.

If you have time I'd be keen to see close up pics of the lip with a finger swipe on to show the extent of dust freeness at different mileages. :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Took a pic yesturday after cleaning the wheels.

Brake dust is still coming off needing no more than gentle agitation with a MF under a running hose.

Still beading as can be seen 2 months after sealing.

Bored now and also going through withdrawal symptoms not waxing/sealing my Nismos.

So in conclusion I reckon Chemical Guys wheel Gaurd is OK for at least a couple months.

No need for any harsh wheel cleaning solution with regular washing (if all i used was water, shampoo is more than adequate).