Life after Zed

Stu350z

Hey guys!

Just looking for a a friendly bit of advice! (as always :lol:)

I'm sure some of you know Nic is expecting our first baby later in the year :yahoo:

Sadly this means the Zed's gotta go for something with a back seat! :thumbdown:

My first solution was to go for an EVO or a Scooby but now I'm not so sure! The idea of going back to a Hothatch is very tempting!

The only problem is what one? Focus ST, Golf GTi, Civic TypeR, Astra VXR, Megane 225, Leon Cupra, Etc, Etc, Etc!

I had a ST170 previous to the Zed so the "Force is Strong" with the new ST225!

My best mate is a VAG mechanic so free labour/servicing on the Golf and Leon!

My budget is £10-12k Depending on trade in for my Zed or if I sell her private!

As always chaps I look forward to your pearls of wisdom!

Cheers Stu!

If running costs aren't an issue then I'd be buying an Impreza STi of some kind, but then I might be a bit biased as we've just just bought one ourselves! :lol: Really characterful car though, bags of oomph and hugely practical. Tad thirsty though...

If you really want to go back to fail wheel drive, then it would have to be the Megane for me. Best drive, even if it's got a slightly naff interior.

If running costs aren't an issue then I'd be buying an Impreza STi of some kind, but then I might be a bit biased as we've just just bought one ourselves! :lol: Really characterful car though, bags of oomph and hugely practical. Tad thirsty though...

If you really want to go back to fail wheel drive, then it would have to be the Megane for me. Best drive, even if it's got a slightly naff interior.

I agree... lots of stigma round the Scoobies though... I mean I would be embarrassed to say "I have and STI" ...

Maybe that is why they all wear caps... to cover their faces?

Sorry... being serious, they ARE great cars... but thirsty as Dan says.

Couldn't buy a recent one... they look like a ROVER!!!

Subaru_WRX-1.jpgMg-Zr--224382.jpg

My sister had a Megan and I drove it once or twice and was astounded at how well it drove! Very surprising. I was expecting a price of crap... but it was actually OK!

I had a Leon TDI and drove a few cupra's too... If you are going to go fail wheel drive and want a decent diesel... the fr(?) ones are supposed to be quick and reliable.

And good for tuning (Look into Upsolute)

I would recommend a Golf GT TDI. They are great cars, value for money.

Diesel, 6 speed manual, 60+ mpg :yahoo: and they are reasonably quick. Plus if you want some more power the engines are easily tunable to 200 + bhp! :thumbs:

Diesel, 6 speed manual, 60+ mpg :yahoo: and they are reasonably quick. Plus if you want some more power the engines are easily tunable to 200 + bhp! :thumbs:

Yup... which is what a SEAT is ... but cheaper ;)

My best mate is a VAG mechanic so free labour/servicing on the Golf and Leon!

VAG it is then. With a baby on the way I think the reduced running costs make it a no brainer to be honest.

I'd go Leon, better looking and less common than the Golf. Looks roomier too but I've never put it to the test....

If your gonna have a family, then safety first. I would get a Volvo V50/V70 depending on how much room you need. 4 seats, big boot, safe, conftable, and fast if you can get a T5. :thumbs:

If it's gooed enough for the old bill......... :lol:

Scooby and Evo both come with a pot of KY jelly to lubricate your orifice prior to penetration - they do 2 miles to the gallon, require servicing very 3 and a half minutes, eat tyres for breakfast and from what I've seen are not a particularly pleasant place to be. You might as well keep the Zed and buy a £300 run around if your going to do that (or get a 350GT Skyline for the 4 seats)

If your going sensibleish your only option is the hot hatches I reckon. If your really looking to save money as well as having extra space then your prob looking at one of the diesel warm hatches - you really can save a fair old mint with them.

I'm with Biscuit with the Alfa - not perhaps the one he's on about if you want to save some money but maybe the 2.4 JTD - supposed to be a very good car and Alfa reliability has improved loads in recent years.

Went to see an Evo VIII today! It's now back up at the top of the list! :#1:

Hardly a hot hatch, but how about an E46 M3? if running costs arent an issue of course

Out of your list though I'd say definitely the Golf Gti. Has a lot more class than the others, especially the Type R and VXR which are a bit..well... chavvy imo :thumbdown:

Running costs are not any prob's as my VAG mechanic mate is well versed in other cars!

+1 bout the Chavvy (Neddy in Scotland!) TypeR and VXR! Both got so much poke though that they've got to be worth a look though! :drive1

If your gonna have a family, then safety first. I would get a Volvo V50/V70 depending on how much room you need. 4 seats, big boot, safe, conftable, and fast if you can get a T5. :thumbs:

If it's gooed enough for the old bill......... :lol:

It's just a baby were having! :lol: I mite be a bit of an old man (36) but I'm not getting an estate...........

Yup... which is what a SEAT is ... but cheaper ;)

...or a DIEsel! :lol:

If and when I have a need for a hatch sized car I'd be looking seriously at the Renaultsport stable too. As a default choice the MKV Golf GTi is a good option (or Seat equivalent) and that goes for the VAG diesels too.

For something bigger I'd probably look at BMW's.

I wouldn't bother with a type R. The latest shape one is not that good. A friend of mine bought a new one and sold it within a year because he hated it that much as a daily driver and it guzzled petrol. I was a passenger in it a couple of times and I have to admit I didn't really like it, really has to be thrashed to get it moving and the interior is a bit weird.

It's also only a 3 door and access to the back seats is a bit fiddly as the front bucket style seats don't move forward that much and the gap to get in the back is small. The front seats also don't go back to the last used position when you put them back up so you're constantly having to readjust them if you're accessing the back.

The ride and handling was also a bit crashy and hard as it's a torsion beam rear suspension rather than independent like the old version was.

If and when I have a need for a hatch sized car I'd be looking seriously at the Renaultsport stable too. As a default choice the MKV Golf GTi is a good option (or Seat equivalent) and that goes for the VAG diesels too.

For something bigger I'd probably look at BMW's.

Had a look at a Renaultsport Megane 225 on saturday! Looked really nice (Not sure if Nic's sold on the big arse though! :lol: ) 58 reg with only 17.5k on the clock for less than £10k :thumbs: The only bit that worries me is the dodgy electrics! :thumbdown:

I wouldn't bother with a type R. The latest shape one is not that good. A friend of mine bought a new one and sold it within a year because he hated it that much as a daily driver and it guzzled petrol. I was a passenger in it a couple of times and I have to admit I didn't really like it, really has to be thrashed to get it moving and the interior is a bit weird.

It's also only a 3 door and access to the back seats is a bit fiddly as the front bucket style seats don't move forward that much and the gap to get in the back is small. The front seats also don't go back to the last used position when you put them back up so you're constantly having to readjust them if you're accessing the back.

The ride and handling was also a bit crashy and hard as it's a torsion beam rear suspension rather than independent like the old version was.

I've heard all these thing about the Type R and it's them that are putting me off! Biggest gripe is Vtec though! I'm not a fan of top end power so raging it for the poke is not for me! :thumbdown: My mechanical sympathy goes into overdrive! :thumbdown:

Now I'm looking at Focus ST225! I had a ST170 so the new one is very tempting! :thumbs: Just need to decide if I want it to be Electric Orange! B)

Thanks for the opinions lads! :thumbs: Keep em coming! :#1:

Had a look at a Renaultsport Megane 225 on saturday! Looked really nice (Not sure if Nic's sold on the big arse though! :lol: ) 58 reg with only 17.5k on the clock for less than £10k :thumbs: The only bit that worries me is the dodgy electrics! :thumbdown:

I had that problem too when I was looking for a hatch a couple of years ago, I wanted an R26 but the better half wasn't having the rump :surrender:

Now I'm looking at Focus ST225! I had a ST170 so the new one is very tempting!

Bare in mind the fuel consumption is similar to a Z! Evo did a buyer's guide recently and there's a surprising amount that goes wrong, especially on early cars.

The only bit that worries me is the dodgy electrics!

+1 I once went to look at a cheap R26 after a rain storm and the central locking was going haywire. Fortunately someone else had bought it before I got there.

No one mentioned the Mazda 3 MPS yet? Not the best to drive but 0-60 in 5.9s and low profile. Expensive road tax though.

Now I'm looking at Focus ST225! I had a ST170 so the new one is very tempting!

Bare in mind the fuel consumption is similar to a Z! Evo did a buyer's guide recently and there's a surprising amount that goes wrong, especially on early cars.

The only bit that worries me is the dodgy electrics!

+1 I once went to look at a cheap R26 after a rain storm and the central locking was going haywire. Fortunately someone else had bought it before I got there.

No one mentioned the Mazda 3 MPS yet? Not the best to drive but 0-60 in 5.9s and low profile. Expensive road tax though.

It's not cost thats making me get rid of the Zed, It's the lack of backseats! :byebye:

Mazda 3 MPS is a good call but just not for me! :blush: