335i what a car...

gangzoom

Hello all, ive been hunting for a car to replace my Z for a while. Initially I had ruled out a 3 series BMW due to the fact there's one round every corner, but after been advised by more than a few people to look again I ended up putting a deposit down on a 335i without even test-driving one B)

Yesterday I finally had a chance to go for a drive, and I have to admit BMW have done well with the 335i...

Initial impressions weren't good, it was parked next to 320d with a M sport kit on, so actually I had to check with the dealer which one was my car (both le-mans blue) :lol: The interior was nicely put together, but didn't really feel any nicer than my Zs. I played with all the toys, the idrive system seemed ok, but overall I wasn't impressed, the car lacked a sense of occasion and character. The driving position however was spot on, so after running through some basics on the autobox we hit the road....

At this point I was trying to think of how to get my deposit back from the dealer, but as soon the car started moving I forgot all about that :D

On the move the car seemed to shrink around me in a way the Z has never quite managed, feedback from the wheel was spot on, and there was no hesitation with turn in. Infact 10 minutes into the test drive i had so much confidence in the 335i the TC had go kick in a few times. The ride quality was fantastic, even with run flats on, it was more composed compared to the Z. There was minimal body roll in the corners, and the brakes seemed as good my Zs. Than I had a chance to open up the engine...30 to 100 seem to take no more than few seconds, the noise from the exhaust was perfect, you can hear it but its never over overwhelming. Than had a go at pootering around in 6th doing 40, no problems, put my foot down and we're at 100 again...no drama, no fuss, just amazing composure, performance and fantasic handing :#1:

At the end of the test drive i parked up next to my Z...I still cannot believe how BMW has turned such a ordinary looking 4 door saloon into a better sports car than my Z!!! Overall i would say the 335is handling isn't far off my old Integra Type-R, and that had no sound insulation, radio, air con, leather, etc...Needless to say I completed on the deal there and than...picking her up in 7 days :thumbs:

Anyone looking for a more sensible car than the Z really should go and drive one, if only I had followed people's advice earlier and test drove a 335i 3 weeks ago it would have saved me alot of headache about what to replace the Z with :blush:

Dont want to spoil your new car experience, i traded in a 335i convertable to buy my z....

The expereinece i had was not good, i bought a 2007 from Bmw in chester with 36 k on the clock with 12 month warrenty...heres a list of problems i had over the 13 months of ownership.......

Day 1 had to argue with dealer who had not honoured the propper service agreement...

then car run in Limp mode,, went in to dealer had new , coils, injectors ect ect..

2 weeks later car runs in limp mode again,, back to dealer for new HP fuel pump

Back to dealer with seat rattle, after 3 visits they fitted a new seat

Then failed Mot with Deformed Runflats "Loads of Tread",,, then found out the runflats had cracked the 19 inch rims..

Then had to have rear ball joint replaced as the car was creeking all the time now at 41k

Then windscreen cracked for no vissable reason,,,,,,,,,

Hope you have better luck with yours than i did,, if its got 19 inch rims please go to a good tyre dealer and have them check the tyres and look for any cracks in the rims,, before bmw blame your driving style

Just picked up the 335i today...was a bit sad seeing the Z been driven into the storage yard :headhurt: Waited around for a bit whilst they were prepping the 335i, had a seat in a M3 saloon which was lovely but running costs are simply too much for me to justify at the moment...maybe in another few years when i've paid off the mortgage :lol:

I know the 335i have had problems with injectors and fuel pumps but its a risk am quite willing to take, hence buying it from a dealer and paying a bit extra :)

Managed to do 38.1 mpg on the way home from dealers, it was mainly motorway but also had a little blast down my favourite B road :) Still amazed at how good the twinturbo engine is...the TC was abit too keen to engage on damp roads, and I was too sacred to turn it off..instead i've already arranged to have a Quaife LSD fitted by Birds in London next friday :yahoo:

I've loved my Z for the last 4 years but it's simply time for me to move on, the 355i isn't the ultimate performance car but a fantastic mixture of practically and performance....i'm certainly cuffed with it, infact may go for another drive now :lol:

Hopefully my Z will turn up here again shortly :thumbs:

instead i've already arranged to have a Quaife LSD fitted by Birds in London next friday :yahoo:

Do they not come with an LSD as standard then?

If you didn't keep spending money on things like that you could probably have afforded an M3 y'know :lol:;)

Also... :worthless:

Great cars, I test drove one before the M and was really impressed, my only issue as I found the flappy paddles a bit slow to respond. Im sure there is a setting somewhere for them though. Brilliant replacement for the Z, just promise you wont tart it up with fake msport tat, keep it a Q car :D

R

Do they not come with an LSD as standard then?

If you didn't keep spending money on things like that you could probably have afforded an M3 y'know :lol:;)

Its a pain, apparently a bit of a marketing thing so that BMW can charge lots of $$$ for a M car with a M differential...went out for a 2 hr drive at 7am today, the car defiantly needs a LSD, the TC was blinking constantly when exiting corners in 2nd gear. The auto-box in manual mode is great, hold on to gears and doesn't kick down either :) Brakes don't seem as strong as the Zs but were adequate, managed to see single digit consumption figures today...completely forgot i was driving a 4 door saloon :D

Great cars, I test drove one before the M and was really impressed, my only issue as I found the flappy paddles a bit slow to respond. Im sure there is a setting somewhere for them though. Brilliant replacement for the Z, just promise you wont tart it up with fake msport tat, keep it a Q car :D

R

I really don't think i have the skill to drive anything faster than a Z or 335i on public roads without been dangerous, cannot even imagine how fast a M3 / M5 must be in real life....one day I'll have one B)

Heres some pics of my new ride...she's defiantly a keeper, may even out last the Z ;)

20110626img5948.th.jpg

20110626img5944.th.jpg

20110626img5927m.th.jpg