Road Trip - Creating More Luggage Space In The Z?

im00

Hi Guys

Am doing the Europe thingy with the missus for 11 days shortly and am just beginning to see the (lack of) luggage space problem that comes with the Z.

So, I need to get creative here!

Short of not taking the mrs :teeth: I can only think of swapping the spare tyre for a can of tyre weld which will free up a bit but do you guys have any other tips?

I don't really want an external solution (roof rack etc) just some small tweaks that can be done internally like the one I've just mentioned. I've got a bad feeling about this though.

Cheers

:thumbs:

That is about the only option. You'll be surprised how much you can fit in the spare wheel area. We travelled Europe foe 10 days with camping gear, bedding pillows, clothes and car bits. It's a logistical nightmare but can be done. You just have to be very careful with your selection of baggae. The Mrs should be restricted to just two pairs of footwear as these clog up the luggage space very easily. Also one small makeup bag and not a salon of items.

You'll get it in there, just need to be clever with baggage and negotiating with the Mrs :thumbs:

I know that the ladies all want to take everything except the kitchen sink but, i did a 7 day golfing trip to Scotland with a friend and comfortably got 2 full size tour bags plus two travel bags in the boot. The boot is a bit like a Tardis really. My advice is to take the soft sports style bags rather than hard suite cases.

pack cheap tee's and pants. Wear them, throw them away. Go to supermarket and buy more. I did this accross the states for 4K miles :-)

On a Harley ! No room on there I can tell you.

Good jeans and good shoes. Thats all you need. The rest can be binned. Plus you dont get smelly pants fragrance in you Z for the next three months either.... :ban:

Biggest trip so far in the Zed was our recent 10day trip to the Hebrides, no supermarket pant counter there :lol: The 370, I believe has an even smaller boot, but no hindering strut brace, it's further up.

Good advice re soft luggage, 3 x holdalls for the Mrs, 1 for you, tell her she'll have to wear all the shoes that she's taking, all at the same time, that'll cut down on them :lol: I'm married to the Emelda Marcos of the north, came in the other day and there was EIGHT, yes Eight boxes of new shoes :scare:

Simples.

One pair of pants will last you 4 days, just keep turning them inside out and back to front, = 3 pairs each. :scare:

Socks will last you 2 days.

Shirts will last you 11 days, but keep clean.

Shorts/jeans 11 days.

All in all small amount of clothes + toothbrush etc.

OR you could always go commando.... :lol::lol::lol:

You can tuck a fair bit of gear in and around the spare wheel :thumbs:

Or if you are feeling brave, you could leave the spare wheel at home and free up all that space

I wouldnt recommend that though.

You could drop the spare tyre for the gunk in a can and a 12v pump.....so many cars come with them these day. Just make sure your tyres are all in good health :thumbs:

My packing tip is to have more bags to put your clothes in. that way its easier to shove them in the corners and mould them to the boot space over a couple of bags rammed full of stuff.

Dont forget you have a bit more storage behind the passenger seat :thumbs:

If you can get an adapter for your 12v pump (if it has a suck action)........ maybe you could use those vacuum bags http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Clothing-Storage/Russel-Storage-Vacuum-Bags-x-2/invt/0232360

dont pack bags, pack the boot of the car... use it as one very large bag :thumbs:

you can fit loads in the boot if you dont use bags (that take up 30% of the space..)

have fun :drive1

use heavy duty bin liners, much easier. granted you look like a serial killer but you can deal with the police if/when they question you :thumbs:

dont pack bags, pack the boot of the car... use it as one very large bag :thumbs:

you can fit loads in the boot if you dont use bags (that take up 30% of the space..)

have fun :drive1

use heavy duty bin liners, much easier. granted you look like a serial killer but you can deal with the police if/when they question you :thumbs:

Bin Bags..... have a certain je ne sais quoi as you walk up to the Hotel check-in desk dragging them along behind :lol::lol:

Hi,

We managed it fine and I took a fair bit with me. See the thread for our road trip, some things you may find useful for items thats are a must to take.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48224

The obvious being you can't fit a suitcase in there, so we took big overnight sport bags. If the missus is like me, she needs an outfit for every day, but this is easily achieved by taking loads of nice shorts, as your travelling in the car you wont need much attire, then just a few nice outfits for the night.

We also put the presents from the trip in the little "hidey" hole behind the passenger seat.

I hope you have as much fun as we did, its pretty breathtaking :yahoo:

Cx

We also put the presents from the trip in the little "hidey" hole behind the passenger seat.

+1 the hidey hole also acts like a fridge once you get summat cold in it - I'd go as far as to say one of those little ice pack type thingies in there would turn it into a fully functioning fridge for a day or too........nice cold drinks for when your parked up in a rest stop enjoying the vista.

The tardis comment above is totally accurate though - it might look small but there is plenty of room in that boot.

Enjoy.

The tardis comment above is totally accurate though - it might look small but there is plenty of room in that boot.

+1, i packet my bags to go on a months leave, including my Xbox and games, laptop, dogs stuff and of course the dog on the passenger seat :thumbs:

When people say 'hidey hole' behind the passenger seat are you talking about the (very) shallow 'tray' hidden in rear compartment???

If so you can barely get a passport in there so I'm a little confused. :shrug:

When people say 'hidey hole' behind the passenger seat are you talking about the (very) shallow 'tray' hidden in rear compartment???

If so you can barely get a passport in there so I'm a little confused. :shrug:

behind the passenger seat theres a large glove box..

+1 on the sports holdalls. They make it much easier than suitcases. I reckon if you ration yourself to an outfit for every two days, you wouldn't feel dirty and I'm sure that 6 pairs of clothes and double the underwear for two people would just about squeeze into a couple of sports bags and easily into the boot.

The Tardis comment is also pretty accurate, there's a lot of space in there you just need to know how to use it! (filling in all the annoying corners and shoving things under the strut brace etc) I play airsoft, which is similar to paintball, which requires hauling around great big bags full of replica rifles and machine guns and the boots, ammo, clothes and assault vests that go with them! I can fit a fair amount in that boot - so I wouldn't worry!

Failing everything, sell it and buy a MK1 TT. Driven my sister's before to an airsoft weekend, where I took my WHOLE armoury, which was around 13 guns of various shapes and sizes, a sports holdall full of clothes and food, various little supply and ammo bags, a massive tent, two sleeping bags and roll mats. With the back seats folded down you could probably fit another whole car in the back of a MK1 TT, they are massive compared to how small a car they are! :clap:

Hi guys

Well thanks for all the replies - fantastic - and the links to other threads (cheers Carla).

Clearly sports bags are the way to go together with keeping a rein on the missus clothing, shoes etc... :D

Also thanks for the piccy of the (not-so) hidey hole. I was expecting some awesome new chamber to be revealed but no...its the rear glove box

:lol:

Again - thanks chaps & chapettes for all your time and effort spent replying!