Wheel nuts, what torque?

HassanZ

Hi all,

I just received my aftermarket gold D1 sec wheel nuts (long ones) today.

What do I torque them up to? What's the standard nut torque specs?

I'm going to visit a tyre place who have offered to do them free for me :teeth: Just need to find out what to torque them up to :scare:

I appreciate your help guys + girls!

Regards,

Hassan

I took my wheel off today and the bolts were stiff/a little rusty. Should you put any copper grease or tiny bit of oil on them ?

No, it's not recommended.

As long as they are torqued correctly they should be fine. As for removing, they are in an easily accessible place to get the biggest bar necessary on them if it was required, but you don't really want to introduce anything that might cause them to loosen unexpectedly. I think I read it in a hand book or somewhere that manufacturers do not recommend doing this.

I know it's still common umongst some mechanics, but if you think about it, the wheels come off fairly often (when compared to other items) and with the easy access, removal should never be that much of a problem. Just clean them up a tad if they have some rust or muck and pop them back in.

115nm for normal ones if i remember correctly. Are these replacements aluminium?

Thanks mate, yes they are aluminium. Does that make a difference?

115nm for normal ones if i remember correctly. Are these replacements aluminium?

Or 85 ft lbs for those of us who dont work in NM ;)

:lol: I was would have asked that as well! :thumbs:

I got for 90 ft lbs just to be safe :)

The guy at the wheel place didn't have a torque wrench :scare: e just tightened it enough using a normal hand tool. I was scared the wheels may drop off when I was driving lol!

Do you recommend me to purchase a torque wrench to make sure it is properly secured or do I just trust the wheel place as they are 'professionals' who do it for a living and leave it?

buy a torque wrench, hit the guy at the "wheel place" with it and never go back there.

aluminium ones are far more fragile, don't over torque them, i'm not sure if there is a difference in the torque you should use for them? but from what i've been told they should only be used a certain number of times...

I thik they look great, matching the bremobo's. Shame about the locker though... :thumbdown:

I know :headhurt: that ruins it!

My aim was to get something as close to my Brembos as possible, sticking to the grey and orange/gold theme throughout the car.

I hear all sorts of stories about aftermarket nuts that I don't know if I should stick to them or get rid!

I heard I could get a locking wheel nut cap? Anybody shed some light on this?

If not, I'll get my friend at the body shop to match up the colour and spray the locking nuts (if it won't ruin them!)

buy a torque wrench, hit the guy at the "wheel place" with it and never go back there.

aluminium ones are far more fragile, don't over torque them, i'm not sure if there is a difference in the torque you should use for them? but from what i've been told they should only be used a certain number of times...

I can get a Laser torque wrench for £18 through work. Are Laser tools good? Will I even need one other than just for wheel nuts? Don't want to end up buying one and end up never using the thing.

What else do they come handy for (as you can see I'm not a handy man :lol: )

I was shocked this wheel place didnt have a torque wrench! They're a well known tyre place that's been operating for years!!!

Dont hit him with the torque wrench, you will throw off the callibration! Hit him with a normal wrench :lol:

Torque should be the same for any nut, just more important with alu to get it bob on. Its the studs that will be more at risk when over torqued I think.

Any decent callibrated wrench will do - dont see why Laser wouldnt be alright :thumbs:

I think ricey was saying that the cheapest of cheap BnQ ones are way off :scare: Tbh you should have a torque wrench to do any work on the car involving bolts and nuts, the only people who don't need them are seasoned mechanics who have a built in torque wrench in their arm. Watched a guy torque up a defenders wheel nuts with a breaker bar. no one believed he got it right so we checked them, every single one was within 3nm of the target :wacko: unreal

Dont hit him with the torque wrench, you will throw off the callibration! Hit him with a normal wrench :lol:

Torque should be the same for any nut, just more important with alu to get it bob on. Its the studs that will be more at risk when over torqued I think.

Any decent callibrated wrench will do - dont see why Laser wouldnt be alright :thumbs:

:lol::lol: That's a good one!

I think the retail on the Laser one is £40, but I can get it for £18. Might just invest in one...