£5,000 Car Detailing

Adrian@TORQEN

I believe a lot of this is all in the marketing, and once youve convinced one millionaire to part with 5k for a correction/detail, then the next one will be easier to convince.

I however will never be convinced that a 5k detail will be about 4.5k better than the excellent work turned out by the likes of Envy and Clb.

Paul Dalton has been about for a while, the other guy has just followed suit. As already said, if you can convince one millionaire to part with that sort of money to detail his £1m car and you do a good enough job, obviously he will recommend you to his peers etc.

Using products like Zymol waxes helps convince people to pay up too considering a tub of Zymol Royale Wax is now £8400!

You can shave £1200 off that if you shop around.

Plus, Ill never be convinced that wax is £8170 better than supernatural. There is no way on earth to justify £8000+ for a tub of carnuba wax.

You can buy 1.5kg of 100% pure carnauba wax for less than £25. As Zymol Royale is "only" 70% carnauba wax (which has been bleached white anyway), the other 30% (423g) of the contents in that tub needs to be more expensive than 18K gold to justify over 8 grand. Yet again a load of bull imho. Though I suppose it does help justify a £5k detail. :lol:

And the fact that 100% carnauba wax is infact so hard and brittle that it's completely useless as a wax, it needs the softening and bonding agents to make it work as a car wax. If you use Dodo Juice Supernatural then you'll know as Dodo Juice explain all this on their website...

Why is carnauba so good as a car wax?

Carnauba wax is the hardest wax in the world, harder than concrete in its pure form. It is secreted by the rainforest palms to protect their leaves when exposed to aggressive levels of sun and rain - so your car is in good hands. Carnauba wax is also highly glossy, giving your car a stunning 'wet look' shine. In fact, carnauba is so shiny and so harmless that it is used by the food industry as a coating - if you've eaten a polished apple you've probably feasted on some carnauba wax already.

Why is carnauba wax mixed with other ingredients?

Carnauba wax is as hard as concrete in its pure form, and could never be applied without having been softened or dissolved (to form a paste or solution) first. That's why all those '100% Carnauba' claims have to be taken with a pinch of dodo poo. It's also important to realise that carnauba is just one part of a good car wax. The quantity and quality of other ingredients, like beeswax, lubricating oils and drying oils, are also critical.

OK, so how much carnauba is actually in Dodo Juice?

It depends on the individual wax, but Dodo Juice waxes generally have between 25%-35% carnauba content when measured without any jiggery-pokery. In our experience, the highest concentration of carnauba in a car wax that can be applied straight from a tin at room temperature is around 40%. If a manufacturer is claiming a lot more, then it is likely they are simply *calculating* a lot more. You can get Carol Vorderman to take the true percentage, divide by the number of days in the year and then multiply by the square root of your hamster's age to come up with a pleasing figure. Or you can measure carnauba by dry volume (instead of the more usual wet volume), by solids content, by overall wax content or by residual content. Basically any way you want. But it doesn't necessarily mean the wax is better. There's only one way of finding that out, and that's by slapping it on some paintwork. Needless to say, we don't state carnauba percentages on our products because they are too confusing and generally mislead the public. We'll take our chances without relying on any dubious marketing techniques. You can see an experiment we did with carnauba measurement here.

I hope I'm not offending anyone but - to me - car detailing is pointless and so very geeky.

Depends how much you want your car to look good. My missus Ibiza has always been lovingly detailed. She had a small bang in it and sent it off to the bodyshop to have it fixed and was mortified when it came back all swirled. Evidently they washed it with a bucket of grit. She still cringes when she see's it in the sun or petrol station forecourt where you can see the swirls.

Horses for courses, but I hate seeing cars swirled to death, it looks horrible in the sun and so easily avoided.

I hope I'm not offending anyone but - to me - car detailing is pointless and so very geeky.

The guys in the videos make it look geeky but not everyone who details talks like them :lol:

Get urself to a meet and run ur hand over the bodywork of a detailed zed, u can't beat it. But u can do it urself or pay someone a fraction of the price- for 5k is expect my arse to be wiped and detailed

what you have to think, is that one of Paul Daltons details he charged £7,000-£7,500 on a Phantom (IIRC). The owner thought the only way to restore the car was with a re-spray, and RR wanted £35k to spray the car, so Paul's quote of £7k(ish) was far far cheaper.

As for these £8k waxes etc, yes they are refillable for life, at £500 a pop for "shipping and insurance". I have a tub of Zymol, and it is a very nice experience applying it. Never tried anything worth more than £200 yet though

As for these £8k waxes etc, yes they are refillable for life, at £500 a pop for "shipping and insurance". I have a tub of Zymol, and it is a very nice experience applying it. Never tried anything worth more than £200 yet though

They're having a laugh! But then some poor sole must buy them otherwise they wouldnt be offered! Dont tell you that on the website either do they :dry: