A dog was just thrown out of a car into mine....

Bassjay

I'm sorry this is such a horrible topic but I really need some help...

I was driving down the M1 south bound just after 29A (I think, still in shock) 3 cars in front of me a large dog was thrown out of the back of a land rover, after going over the roof of one and under two others it was my turn it went straight under mine which had it been your average run about would probably have been fine, as it was a 350z however it was not...

It pulled back my splitter and under tray which had to be hacksawed off by roadside assistance, which was delegated to by the AA, I'll post his name and company when I'm not half a bottle of whiskey under because he was a hero, I don't think anyone else would have touched that with a barge pole under health and safety... let alone the smell.

I thought this horrible event was over until I tried to continue my journey and the light that looks like a pump came on, I pulled over and read in the manual that it was OK to drive as it wasn't flashing.

The big question is what is that light likely to be on for? It has no running problems other than having half the dog entrails stuck between my diff and chassis which ****ing stinks. My best guess would be an exhaust sensor that's taken a big knock?

I'll check back here in the morning after getting it up on axle stands to... clean it out... and to check on the damage, there is definitely a bit of plastic hanging down near the diff as it scratched on the speed bumps approaching my gf's in Sandiacre.

If there are any members near Sandiacre that have an ODB reader that I could check the problem with I'd be very appreciative, there won't be any whiskey left but I'm sure I can pick one up. Also any advice on where I can get a new under tray from and the price range would be helpful although I'm sure Zamanalex or Ebay will be just as easy.

I'm sorry for the horrible post but given the circumstances I hope it's forgiven... Safe to say if the police ever catch this person I won't be using their details for insurance purposes and I will be editing this line out in future....

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Jay

F**k...... :surrender:

That's mental.

I'll put money on it being one or both the sensor in the cats - I'd make a cat and dog joke but I can't bring myself to do it - They join at the gearbox and too and they are fairly exposed, click on the link below and zoom in near the cats, you'll see the sensors and the blue / green connectors clearly. I found this out when running over a ratchet strap.

The material hanging down near the diff could be a number of things.

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/images/zbottom.jpg - click the link for the pic, too big for the forum

oh my thats horrible!!

being an animal lover, especially dogs, this is quite upsetting to hear people doing this, personally id be far more concerned with contacting the police to do anything possible in order to catch these arseholes responsible for throwing the dog out the window, the sick tossers!! dogs have to be reported if ran over etc.

sorry about the language, but its boiling my blood the more i think about it now.

on a lighter note, i hope you get your car fixed soon without much problems

:scare: ..................That is just so bad. Did any of the other drivers manage to get his reg number do you know?

With regards to the light on the dash, as has previously been said, sounds like one of the Cat Sensors. I do not undertand why they are so exposed.It gets very hot around that area. It would be good if someone could come up with a mod; some sort of deflector shield for each sensor is what is needed :thumbs:

Hope you get it sorted.

Poor dog...............R.I.P unknown doggie!

:scare: ..................That is just so bad. Did any of the other drivers manage to get his reg number do you know?

With regards to the light on the dash, as has previously been said, sounds like one of the Cat Sensors. I do not undertand why they are so exposed.It gets very hot around that area. It would be good if someone could come up with a mod; some sort of deflector shield for each sensor is what is needed :thumbs:

Hope you get it sorted.

Poor dog...............R.I.P unknown doggie!

+1

That's awful :scare::scare: R.I.P Four Legged Friend :byebye:

Being an ex traffic cop I can tell you that this is not an unusual way for people to get rid of old dogs. The worst offenders are the owners of old racing greyhounds which are now of no value and so are chucked out onto motorways and A class roads to be terminated as above.

Bastards :angry:

The ladrover that the dog came from, was it open backed do you know? Could it have been that the dog fell out for some reason and the driver did not see? I know this is a long shot and I certainly would have known if my German Sheppard was missing immediately if she was not in the car, open backed or not, but since hearing this I CANNOT get my head around this dispicable, unhuman act :headhurt: .

How can anyone do things like this. :shrug:

I hope the car is not too badly damaged and really hope they find the moron who did it. Apart form the fact that its beyond reasonable understanding the potential to kill other people in following cars is very high.

Being an ex traffic cop I can tell you that this is not an unusual way for people to get rid of old dogs. The worst offenders are the owners of old racing greyhounds which are now of no value and so are chucked out onto motorways and A class roads to be terminated as above.

Bastards :angry:

yeah the whole greyhound thing is horrible, and thats normally after they have cut thier ears off to remove thier tattoos bstards!

I have a scangauge that can read codes if it helps - between Lincoln and Scunny just off the A15. PM me if you want any help.

(not going to add any comment about the idiots who did this as I am too angry just thinking about it)

:scare:

This is awful. That poor doggie! I feel so sorry for you, if this happened to me I reckon I would need a few counselling sessions! :byebye:

As for the culprit, the police need to know, there maybe CCTV on the stretch of road that it happened, they shouldn't be able to get away with such animal cruelty.

..........and your zed, I do hope you get it sorted.

Cxx

I think its best to hope that the dog was already dead when thrown from the car, perhaps the people in the landrover had already run it over earlier and decided in whatever wisdom that rather than report it, they could get away with making it look like someone else killed it.

Hope the damage is not too bad, and also hope the culprits are caught. Shouldnt be too difficult with the specs cameras around that stretch and any description from other motorists. They should have the book thrown at them. Regardless of the fact it was an animal, it was a huge object thrown into motorway traffic. Manslaughter waiting to happen!

That is so wrong... I really pray they find whoever did that... Sick F*ck.....

Hope you get the car sorted out, what a nasty thing to have to go through!

There are some disturbed people on this planet....

*Morning*/Afternoon,

I've only just managed to drag myself out of bed given what lies in wait under my car...

A few more details now I can think a little more clearly without fits of rage, lol. The dog was a bullmastiff, a ****ing huge bullmastiff. It was around 11.30PM on the M1 Southbound with no lighting. An MG ZR was following what was described as a land rover with one of those boot windows which opens. The driver couldn't say for sure how it was evacuated i.e. was it pushed or did it jump.. However the dog would struggle to fit through one of those windows so I can't see it having jumped myself. The ZR driver did not see the reg, I can't blame him though there's no way I'd have managed it.

It took out the under tray of Vectra who fled the scene pretty sharp so I presume he was uninsured or something.. Given the circumstances I didn't catch his details. A few other cars and a lorry obliterated it and the motorway was then put down to one lane while the "clean up crew" cleaned the mess. Now I realise this is an utterly horrible job, those poor bastards having to scrape up the remains but I honestly couldn't believe all they had was a plastic shovel and half the remains were thrown into the bushes and the rest thrown in the back of their flatbed truck.

Mine was the only car which was un-driveable, despite the fact it hit the bonnet of the MG ZR and went up and over, it left a big dent but nothing major.

Fin!

A big thanks to all the replies and offers, especially Stew for being up at that hour, the knowledge it's only likely to be sensors was probably the only reason I got to sleep.

My plan: I'm going to borrow some axle stands from somewhere to survey the damage, clean then remove bits hanging down from my diff and exhaust, I'm not normally squeamish but I've not smelled anything as foul as my poor car.. Then off to shove a pressure washer underneath, the poor f***s at the petrol station can get in on the action too!

I've been writing this for a good 20 mins already, I worry my motivation may be lacking...

Thanks

Jay