My Zed after a detail (pic heavy!)

HassanZ

Oh! No wonder when I see other people's 'Gun Metal' cars, they seem more like silver!

Is mine a darker shade or a lighter shade of the colour?

Yeah I also heard the Black Hole has a chemical in it and White Diamond doesn't, so I thought the White Diamond would be the safer option.

How often do you glaze your Zed using White Diamond?

Make sure you show me some photos of the new top coat! :thumbs:

A couple of people commented on mine at Wales and Japfest last year that my GM 'always looks brighter than others' and I think it is down to the glaze.

I glaze it every 6 months or so, just did it again yesterday. Am in the process of layering the top coat, will be taking it to Wales next weekend so you can see it there? If not, will get some pics up!

I applied 2 coats of the White Diamond Glaze and then 2 coats of AG HD wax. I will probably keep applying more costs of glaze and wax so I can increase the depth of the shine and protection. Apparently you can 'sandwich' the glaze in between layers of wax. Hopefully I'll see more a greater difference after the next coat of glaze and wax.

Just after this detail, I parked up in a car park and 2 random guys were like 'f**king 'ell, can you get the car any cleaner?' I laughed and he asked me who's car it was and I was like it's mine. He then replied with 'Nice car man!'.

How do you glaze it, with a DA or by hand? Does the glaze last 6 months!? :scare:

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the Wales meet, so I won't see you all :( Make sure you have a great time though!

Please get some pics up, would love to see it! :thumbs:

I think there are glazes you can later between wax, not sure the Poorboys is one though as it does have a slight cut in it. I always pur a sealant on after the glaze, had been using Jetseal109 but after chatting with the guys at Polished Bliss am trying Werkstatt Acrylic this time. For me the HD wax is a little soft to be long lasting enough. Personal preference! Final to coat I may add my trusty P21S or R222 as it is now. Only I'd not happy with this Acrylic stuff but so far is looking pretty good! Well be finishing coat 2off tonight and starting coat 3

I think there are glazes you can later between wax, not sure the Poorboys is one though as it does have a slight cut in it. I always pur a sealant on after the glaze, had been using Jetseal109 but after chatting with the guys at Polished Bliss am trying Werkstatt Acrylic this time. For me the HD wax is a little soft to be long lasting enough. Personal preference! Final to coat I may add my trusty P21S or R222 as it is now. Only I'd not happy with this Acrylic stuff but so far is looking pretty good! Well be finishing coat 2off tonight and starting coat 3

Oh...so there's no point of me glazing it next weekend then? I glazed it 3 weeks ago. I thought I'd layer another coat of glaze and wax on top but if it won't make a difference, there's no point in doing it. :dry:

What sealant do you use? I don't use sealant. I just glaze it then wax it. Am I missing out a crucial step?

Oh I had the impression the HD wax lasts ages, which wax do you recommend then?

I would love to see the paintwork on your car, sounds like you've maintained it really well!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh...so there's no point of me glazing it next weekend then? I glazed it 3 weeks ago. I thought I'd layer another coat of glaze and wax on top but if it won't make a difference, there's no point in doing it. :dry:

What sealant do you use? I don't use sealant. I just glaze it then wax it. Am I missing out a crucial step?

I would love to see the paintwork on your car, sounds like you've maintained it really well!

I would say not - you would be better off layering the wax up IMO as that is the protective layer. If you read the gumph on the back of the glaze, it is about filling and removing swirls and surface imperfections. The wax then 'seals' it in. So using it on top of the wax isn't really going to help - if anything it will cut back through the wax.

Sealant is a step some take between the final polish and waxing. It is just a 'hard' coat, often chemical to protect the polished surface. I like using them. As for waxes, there are hard and soft waxes - and they are exactly that. Something like a Collinite wax is hard, when you put your finger on it it is hard to the touch and it takes some elbow grease to work it. Soft wax will crumble / 'melt' when you touch it. In fact, some you could even apply with your hands. Hard wax lasts longer than soft wax - simples.

For me, P21S or R222 wax is soft and maybe lasts a week or so before the real gleam starts to fade. But it gleams nicer than the hard waxes I have tried.

This is why I use a sealant so that when the soft wax deteriorates, I am left with and easy to clean, protected, still shiny surface to wash and then put the soft wax back on.

Hope that makes sense!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

B)B) Coolio......amazing job; I wish I could aford to purchase all of the products listed so I could get my GM looking this good!

I would be quite :scare: about ever driving her again looking like this; although the dust would be all over her before I even left.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say not - you would be better off layering the wax up IMO as that is the protective layer. If you read the gumph on the back of the glaze, it is about filling and removing swirls and surface imperfections. The wax then 'seals' it in. So using it on top of the wax isn't really going to help - if anything it will cut back through the wax.

Sealant is a step some take between the final polish and waxing. It is just a 'hard' coat, often chemical to protect the polished surface. I like using them. As for waxes, there are hard and soft waxes - and they are exactly that. Something like a Collinite wax is hard, when you put your finger on it it is hard to the touch and it takes some elbow grease to work it. Soft wax will crumble / 'melt' when you touch it. In fact, some you could even apply with your hands. Hard wax lasts longer than soft wax - simples.

For me, P21S or R222 wax is soft and maybe lasts a week or so before the real gleam starts to fade. But it gleams nicer than the hard waxes I have tried.

This is why I use a sealant so that when the soft wax deteriorates, I am left with and easy to clean, protected, still shiny surface to wash and then put the soft wax back on.

Ah that makes sense! (Sorry I just realised you replied! :blush:)

I guess I'll have to revise my choice of wax and purchase some sealant!

Would you class supernatural as a hard or soft wax?

How often do you think I should wax my car? I've carried out 2 coats of Poorboys glaze and HD wax over a 2 month period (the first attempt I layered 2 coats of wax and glaze each, so you could class that as 3 coats of each in total), when should I next wax my car?

About the glaze, yes you are correct about the 'filling and removing imperfections' so I'm just wasting it by layering it on top of the wax...

I just had some Nismo rear spats and fromt OEM splash guards fitted which were painted last Thursday. Is it safe for me to give the car a wash on Saturday or is it too soon and could damage the fresh paint?

Many thanks for your help in understanding everything :thumbs:

Hassan

My Zed would look like that for 2 secs wither where I live, damn tractors and their sh1t!!!

K

Great looking car... my black one stayed clean for all of an hour if I was lucky!

B)B) Coolio......amazing job; I wish I could aford to purchase all of the products listed so I could get my GM looking this good!

I would be quite :scare: about ever driving her again looking like this; although the dust would be all over her before I even left.

Stunning example! :clap:

:lol::lol: Thanks guys for all your compliments. This is my first ever proper detailing attempt, I'm glad you are impressed :teeth:

I hate driving my car after a major clean, it's like taking hours building a perfect sandcastle then kicking it down right after completion!

That's the one big demotivating factor of detailing a car - Not staying in that state for longer than 2 days! :rant::angry:

Ah that makes sense! (Sorry I just realised you replied! :blush:)

I guess I'll have to revise my choice of wax and purchase some sealant!

Would you class supernatural as a hard or soft wax?

How often do you think I should wax my car? I've carried out 2 coats of Poorboys glaze and HD wax over a 2 month period (the first attempt I layered 2 coats of wax and glaze each, so you could class that as 3 coats of each in total), when should I next wax my car?

About the glaze, yes you are correct about the 'filling and removing imperfections' so I'm just wasting it by layering it on top of the wax...

I just had some Nismo rear spats and fromt OEM splash guards fitted which were painted last Thursday. Is it safe for me to give the car a wash on Saturday or is it too soon and could damage the fresh paint?

Many thanks for your help in understanding everything :thumbs:

Hassan

All of this is personal preference really (apart from which products do what!). Only change if you want to try something different.

Supernatural is a soft wax really. Great finish, no reason to not put it on top of a sealant / hard wax though for a slick look at the weekend.

As for how often you wax, my personal guide is down to how dirty / many miles the car has covered in between times. If the car goes nowhere, you could just keep adding layers of wax day after day if you wanted. If you are driving around, washing the car and you have a sealant on, then after each wash you could add wax. In short, whenever you want to, as long as the car is clean. Just make sure your wash doesn't strip the wax..... ;)

Cleaning freshly painted surfaces shouldn't be a problem. However without seeing them, knowing whether they were baked, geniuine, etc, I can't really say. Check with the paint shop, then treat them as per the rest of the car.

As for glaze on top of the wax, not just wasting it but also cutting the wax back and wasting that. Kinda counter productive!! :)