S/Cs, TTs and Con Rods

Guest prescience

I think you're right about that. Keeping the SC in the sweet spot though is as tricky as getting the power down though.

no manufacturer over engineers engine internals nowadays..

Not true. Many OEM's over-engineer parts specifically to KEEP costs down. Take for example, the current Mini engine and the 1.9TDi block used in the VAG series. It was deliberately over engineered so that different models could have the power turned up without having to manufacture a completely different set of internals.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the current Mini engine and the 1.9TDi block used in the VAG series. It was deliberately over engineered so that different models could have the power turned up without having to manufacture a completely different set of internals.

There are differences between the 1.9TDI engine's dough ;)

And if you talk about margins, one could say that e.g. the 3.5 lump in the Murano uses the same pieces, and it prolly has more low-down torque than the Z engine? But how much is this margin? If you were to "upgrade" the performance of the engine to stay within that margin, i would recon it'd be around 20-30Nm of torque, the costs wouldnt weigh up against the gains.

I think you're right about that. Keeping the SC in the sweet spot though is as tricky as getting the power down though.

no manufacturer over engineers engine internals nowadays..

Not true. Many OEM's over-engineer parts specifically to KEEP costs down. Take for example, the current Mini engine and the 1.9TDi block used in the VAG series. It was deliberately over engineered so that different models could have the power turned up without having to manufacture a completely different set of internals.

they only did that to save money in the long run though , not general practice, I'm sure Nissan wont put better internals in than necessary on the off chance some bod in Foreign countries will try and stick a supercharger on it sometime or other :)

Same price as the old one i thought?

The question i ask myself is, if you have a good F/I conversion, e.g. with reworked internals and so on, how much money does that cost in total, and if you add that money to the price of a new Z, what kind of car could you get for it (and still have factory warranty on top of that!) ?

Not really. The pistons are not really suitable for FI, either, so they would also need changing. You will also need uprated studs, head studs, head gaskets, crank regrind, new big ends (whether you uprate them or not, is personal choice).

Like I say, the costs are mostly in labour, so just changing the rods alone wouldnt be very cost effective in the long run. While you've got it in bits, you might as well do the job properly.

What I've described above, is a basic bottom end upgrade.

But if you knew you had a bottom end that was capable of holding much more than 400bhp, wouldnt you want to explore the realms of more power????

Did you buy your internal parts from the US?

Ok so here's my current internals list, any advice is appreciated

6 x Fuel injectors

1 x FCON V Pro

1 x Harness, MAP sensor, air temp sensors etc for FCON

1 x Fuel pump

1 x Set Cosworth forged pistons

1 x Set piston rings

1 x Set Cosworth forged connecting rods (A beam) or (H beam)

1 x Set Cosworth cylinder head gaskets

1 x Set Cosworth engine bearings

1 x Set Cosworth main bearing cap studs

1 x Set Cosworth cylinder head studs

1 x Set Cosworth camshafts