Should we restrict viewing?

Chesterfield

Should we be accessible to"guests"  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should we be accessible to"guests"

• Keep the forum accessible to the public without needing to register.
    • Restrict viewing to those taking the time to register

All,

As we are starting to become busier we feel it may be time to restrict the viewing of this forum to registered members only.

Dont worry, we aren't changing from our 100% free stance, we just feel that as we become more popular, there are a growing number of guests browsing this forum without taking the time to register.

To ensure that all the benefits of this forum are made available to those who take the time to register, we are considering restricting viewing to registered members only.

The forum will remain free to register, and free to use, this will NOT change.

Obviously, we wish to know what our members want, if you guys say keep it open to view by the public, thats how it will stay. If you want these boards to be used only by those who take the time to register, thats how it will be.

So in true democratic style - the choice is yours...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't see the harm in allowing guests to browse. I would have thought that there's more chance of someone registering as a member once they've seen the scintillating conversation that goes on here :teeth::teeth:

......oh and that photoshoot that Val posted...... B)

I personally agree with vestitas, that its no issue to me, if anyone reads my posts or views my pictures (only if the wife finds out how much money this hobby costs) I understand its been raised as a discussion point, but we all hide behind handles, and anyone can join clubs (even pay money and join clubs) and read what is behind any so called secure system.

But I will go with the majority as it’s not an issue to me as I have joined anyway.

Suggest we leave as is...at least for one month further.

Even as information has been gathered from here and used against members I still beleive in free access for all.

Thanks to the Admins for the gives us a say in how this site is run.

Steve

I think theres plus points for both options... but i like the fact that i can hop on and check my posts very quickly from anywhere without having to log in and out, if i dont really need to reply or post..

But, it wouldnt bother me if i did have to log in, as this will encourage regular "guests" to sign up and help the site progress and grow.

So, on that ill vote to lock it down to registered users.

Will

You can always set it to "remember me" when you log in, then you auto log in.

Obvioulsy not reccomended for shared PC's.

Its up to you guys, but we will leave the status quo in place until the end of the poll, which will be left in place until such time as a reasonable number of members have had their vote.

Guest prescience

I think it is a mistake to restrict free browsing. It may drive people away amd makes access just that bit more difficult.

The only positive effect might be an initial jump in membership numbers. But what is better 1000 members with 800 having zero posts or 200 actively contributing members. It amounts to the same.

I say that our ethos should be to remain totally unrestricted subject to certain posting guidelines (non-defamatory etc).

:)

The only though I have on the matter is - If you get loads of unregistered people nosing around, will it cost you more? If it does cost more, make it registered members only ----- if it doesn't cost more, keep it open to everyone.

When I get an answer to this I will know how to cast my very valuable vote.

SlimShady

I can see both sides of this poll but I have voted for the registered users. I just think that it so easy to join, it's free and if you keen about using the forum, you would want to join anyway.

Also think that not being open to unregistered people keeps the site safer and secure for the registered ones. For instance the location of us on the frappr map is probably highlights were we all are. Yes it's not down to street level but we still have to be safe.

B)

I don't see any harm in allowing guests to browse. Until it starts to effect the site in some way why not leave it open to all.

I stumbled upon the site by chance and it was great to have a look around before registering. Not that it would have put me off if I had to, but it might do for some.

Maybe something to bring up again as the member mumbers increase. :thumbs: