Anyone Taken Their 'Z' On Track And How Did It Go?

im00

Per the title - anyone done it?

I'm a 'fair' driver and have a (2006) 296 bhp Z which I was contemplating taking on a track day so my questions are:

1. How did you get on and have you got any tips for setting up the car? Nothing to elaborate mind its just a bit of fun.

2. Am I likely to be left behind by all of the Chavs in their highly tweaked 500 bhp euro boxes?

Cheers.

Per the title - anyone done it?

I'm a 'fair' driver and have a (2006) 296 bhp Z which I was contemplating taking on a track day so my questions are:

1. How did you get on and have you got any tips for setting up the car? Nothing to elaborate mind its just a bit of fun.

2. Am I likely to be left behind by all of the Chavs in their highly tweaked 500 bhp euro boxes?

Cheers.

See the Track day section: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=36

1) Car is fine standard, although a pad upgrade is nice if you want to do more than 6 laps at a time. Keep an eye on pressures and temps as you would any car.

2) Probably. :lol: They will crash first though! The thought of wreaking your pride and joy will hopefully discourage you from pushing too hard. It did to me, but I still had a fantastic day.

From what I have seen and experienced they are quite good on track to enjoy but not competitive due to weight/lack of power. Any track toy will be alot faster but track toys are meant to be and track days arn't about racing (not meant patronsingly)

Do it I bet you will have fun but better brakes would be even more fun.

I have tracked mine (also a 296) and enjoyed it immensely. I would advise upgrading the brake fluid, lines and brake pads first though. I did and didn;t have any problems on the day. The car it self really impressed me and behaved impeccably all day, my talents ran out way before the car's did! It's definately made me a better driver as well, so a win all round :)

Having spent some time working at a racetrack there is no way id let my car on one. Some of the guys who turn up for trackdays are complete nutters and your more likely to get someone crash into you than you are crashing yourself!

The last one I went to had people turning up in everything from lambo`s through to cars they had just hired from the local budget rent-a-car to 40quid MOT failures that were trailered to the track and run until they broke.

Having spent some time working at a racetrack there is no way id let my car on one. Some of the guys who turn up for trackdays are complete nutters and your more likely to get someone crash into you than you are crashing yourself!

The last one I went to had people turning up in everything from lambo`s through to cars they had just hired from the local budget rent-a-car to 40quid MOT failures that were trailered to the track and run until they broke.

Thats what scares me...other people.... thats why i fancy a carlimits day as those are oneperson going round at once...

+1 on the brake fluid. I uprated my pads and was fairly poor with braking, I.e hovering the brake pedal I ended up cooking my fluid half way roundd the Nurburgring. Bit scary hitting a corner at 100mph only to find a soggy brake pedal. I left a small amount of poo on my drivers seat which was cleared up with a bit of wee as I hit the carousel!!

My tip even though I've only done 4 laps of the ring would be to enjoy and understand the characteristics of the car before giving it too much whelly!!

:doh: that's obviously been hot hatch days. The trackup here runs days for only cars over 15k are allowed on to deter the usual young team. It's usually evo's 350z's gtr's zmanalex, vik, tvr's, Fezza's and time attack cars

Go with a quality TDO and you'll be fine. I use Bookatrack almost exclusively as Johnny & co run a very tight ship that will give youna fair amount of leeway unless you're a complete idiot, and then they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks, and that works very well.

For the opposite reason I avoid Circuit Days like the plague, I've seen some atrocious driving that was let go because the driver was friends with the guy running the day. I've still got the video to prove it too...

A Walshy day is incredible fun, but not a patch on a proper track day.

if you go to a track day thats a specific event like a jap only event then normally the people on track are people who take pride in their cars and have spent big money modding them so a bit safer!

JM

if you go to a track day thats a specific event like a jap only event then normally the people on track are people who take pride in their cars and have spent big money modding them so a bit safer!

JM

Yep, I think thats the only way to do it, so at least you know everyone else on the track is going to not want to crash their cars as well!

Actually, I'd avoid a Jap-specific day like the plague if possible and try and mix it with the Elises, Caterhams and Porsches. Bedford is a pretty good place for this, reasonably high prices tend to keep the riff-raff out and it's always well-marshalled.

you'd be suprised how well the zed handles for being a bit of a fatty. It is a very good track car especially when set up correctly. Take alex's for instance, cabrio runnin crazy power, handles absolutely unbelievably awesome, Can chase the time attack cars and all that with no roof B):lol:

I've done loads of trackdays, but only a few in my 350.

I was at Bedford yesterday and had a great time. My car has a few mods: coilovers, remap + spacer, pads and fluid and is great fun to drive with zero issues.

As the others have said - sort the brakes out. You'll need uprated pads and fluid as a minimum. I've used Performance Friction 01 pads and EBC yellow stuff along with Silkolene race fluid. The PF01 pads were great, the yellow stuff were ok. You get what you pay for. I'll be going for an AP kit soon though I think - the standard setup just about copes, but you have to put more and more effort into slowing the car down as everything gets hot.

With regards to car damage and other people - you can get inconsiderate people on trackdays, and it's a pain in the arse. If you're new to track driving just keep an eye out for the cocks and avoid them. Also, get some tuition - it'll help speed you up and get more confident quicker than anything else.

If you try it once, you'll be hooked. It's brilliant fun.

I've done loads of trackdays, but only a few in my 350.

I was at Bedford yesterday and had a great time. My car has a few mods: coilovers, remap + spacer, pads and fluid and is great fun to drive with zero issues.

As the others have said - sort the brakes out. You'll need uprated pads and fluid as a minimum. I've used Performance Friction 01 pads and EBC yellow stuff along with Silkolene race fluid. The PF01 pads were great, the yellow stuff were ok. You get what you pay for. I'll be going for an AP kit soon though I think - the standard setup just about copes, but you have to put more and more effort into slowing the car down as everything gets hot.

With regards to car damage and other people - you can get inconsiderate people on trackdays, and it's a pain in the arse. If you're new to track driving just keep an eye out for the cocks and avoid them. Also, get some tuition - it'll help speed you up and get more confident quicker than anything else.

If you try it once, you'll be hooked. It's brilliant fun.

+1 My first track day i was shitting myself... alex ended up forcing me out and now im hooked.

I run yellowstuff pads with standard fluid, didnt boil or fade. Then yellowstuff with rbf660 and now bluestuff with rbf660, not been on track with bluestuff pads but the yellows were fine for my driving style at the time. I'm looking to push harder this year with confidence and ability improving so the bluestuff ndx got gave out as a promo to test for brakes4u and do a review. I will keep people posted.

I had my first track day experience at the start of the year in my 350. Went to a MSV novice only day at Bedford. Fantastic day out,not cheap,but well worth it. I did a couple of laps after lunch,and turned the T/C off for the first time ever,as it was slowing me down. I ran DS2500 pads,and i think i just have normal fluid and discs. The brakes were fine all day,and when i took people out,they were all really impressed by the car as a whole,and how well it handled and braked. I worked out i did about 50 laps,and a tank of fuel.

Just makesure your oil is up the mark, and all other fluids are ok. I never lowered my tyre pressures,but maybe should have done a few psi after a few laps. Overall fantastic day though,and well worth the expense. Not to mention i didnt get home from work till around 11pm Friday night,was up at 6am Saturday to get to Bedford,then on the way home had to go into work for a few hours. Was a crazy day,but so worth it.

Been to Castle Combe 3 times. Car uprated with better DBA discs, Ferodo pads, steel lines, racing fluid and improved breathing from filter through plenum spacer to cats to Blueflame exhaust. Will be going 3 or 4 times this year hopefully.

cccaptainmad.jpg

There is no danger from other drivers if you don't want to be near them because on the warm up lap, stop your car on the back straight and wait 40 seconds, you won't see another car for the next 15 minutes so it's all down to you from then on.

I've been off twice but I was taking a calculated risk and knew I wouldn't hit anything.

It's more fun then (almost) anything and definately more fun than anything that's legal.

Look at the below from 2:58 onwards. It shows what a laugh this is and coincidentally my best lap - 1:27 (faster than Johnny Herbert :lol::lol: on 5th Gear recently)

Just do it and don't listen to the garage queens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5MhnVdily4

Here's Captain Sensible proving that 296hp is not as good as 276hp.......... :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzau11WQpcE

Here's me doing a 180 in the damp with TCS off and D1 Throttle Controller on SP7 (REALLY bad combo) :thumbdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6J8hfNJeyw

Yes when Veilside ?

I'll be at Combe on 24th May.

This is a CSMA day - so well organised and sensible drivers - I may be able to squeeze a guest driver/car in if spaces available... my buddy/work colleague will be there in his newly acquired R8 - looking fwd to see how that goes.

(to answer the question above. Yes 350Z isn't a track tool but is a fast car, that has safe predictable handling... great fun... buy it to drive it is my personal view - but everyone to their own).

zeds not bad on the track, its well balanced and controllable and not to stroppy to hold on the limit. brakes are your weak area as said above, the only down side is the zeds weight, it can sometimes feel like piggy back riding a fat girl round the 100 metres. and you loose a little of the agility with that amount of weight transfer.

needless to say i've had fun in the zed on track. its by no means a dull track car. just needs setting up.

Yes when Veilside ?

I'll be at Combe on 24th May.

This is a CSMA day - so well organised and sensible drivers - I may be able to squeeze a guest driver/car in if spaces available... my buddy/work colleague will be there in his newly acquired R8 - looking fwd to see how that goes.

(to answer the question above. Yes 350Z isn't a track tool but is a fast car, that has safe predictable handling... great fun... buy it to drive it is my personal view - but everyone to their own).

Can I come? :clap:

I used to work for the Civil Service and my Dad was CSMA for about a century. :wheelchair: