How to - BOSE PHONO / IPOD " hack " - guide

Husky

Just done this mod, worked excellent. Didn't get an error on my hu but I did move the remainder of the tape slider mech(the bit the slider attaches to) along to the tape in position.....? Could that be why others are getting errors??

My question now is how do I make my iPhone 4 random skip when it's layed on its side!! Ha ha :)

Thank you for this guide all involved in creating it :)

• 3 weeks later...

This guide is excellent. I'm hoping to possibly have a go at the hack at the weekend. I also want to be able to charge my iphone at the same time as listening to music.

Do I just need this one of these?:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ground-loop-isolator-33172

Obviously, I plug the RCA / Phono to 3.5mm into this and then solder the isolator to the tape deck?

I'm planning on splitting the front ciggy lighter socket for the power with one of these (Hiding it behind the dash):

http://www.maplin.co.uk/car-accessory-socket-1055

and then using a dual USB lighter adapter so I can charge my phone or anything else I may want to use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Compact-H ... 714&sr=8-5

Am I missing anything, is this the best / easiest way of doing this? :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems like far too many little, fiddly bits of plastic that I will, undoubtedly, snap off :blush:

However, if someone in the North East who's already done this would like to hold my hand.... ;)

Oh, yeah... first post... so... Hello out there!!!!

Just wanted to add another thank you to this thread.

Excellent write up.

I done this without cutting the tracks or removing any springs.

Pushing the mechanism in with a biro has worked a treat and only have to do it once as it stays in!

Sounds ace and delighted it still has the stock look.

Not too traumatic for my first outing with a soldering iron!

Nice one.

• 1 month later...

Another thanks from me. Did this the other day, worked a treat. Sound quality is spot on.

I bought a 3 metre cable and ran it to the rear cubby so I can have my phone charging as well and keep all the wires out of the way.

heff.jpg.9818d9a45ecbe55db31fa906394e0a06.jpg

• 1 month later...

I think that's just to reduce other noise from elsewhere bleeding through, belt and braces. If you haven't noticed and are happy with the sound then it will be fine. :thumbs:

Thanks Watshot, but if i do have any problems at least it shouldnt take too long to take it out again :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for the guide, great write up, got in in and out with no issues :)

But I am getting the eject error, tried the reset numerous times with no luck. The other thing I am getting is once i turn on the ignition, the stereo starts up then switches itself off without me doing anything. When i turn the power on, it comes on then i get the eject error when i push tape??

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting the same eject error on the tape, and i've got a tape stuck in there. Whats the reset procedure again? hold something down when you start the car? power or the eject button?

Any one got a fix for this? don't fancy taking it apart again. might as well buy a new head unit if i'm going to do that again.

Seems a shame as i've got nothing agaist the bose head unit, sound good.

The reset procedure is on the first page.

I did this today too. First time I tried I had the iron waaaaaaay too hot and actually removed the copper tracks from the PCB so I have to revert to tracing the tracks and soldering on some connecters further along with the iron on half heat!

Had a few hours this afternoon so tackled the hack. Not as scary as I first though, even with me being pretty useless with a soldering iron. All plumbed back in and seems to work OK at the moment. The tape deck went a little crazy when I popped the connector blocks back in, but once that settled down all seems OK. Off for a drive later so will report back :)

Shaun, did you remove the metal spring and the slider mechanism? If not then the button wont do anything as the system knows you haven't inserted a tape. Either unscrew it all again removing those two parts, or get an old tape, take the actual tape out of it (so its empty) and then just insert this to fool the system. Mines still working a few days later so cant complain, despite my ****-up!

Shaun, did you remove the metal spring and the slider mechanism? If not then the button wont do anything as the system knows you haven't inserted a tape. Either unscrew it all again removing those two parts, or get an old tape, take the actual tape out of it (so its empty) and then just insert this to fool the system. Mines still working a few days later so cant complain, despite my ****-up!

I hadn't actually even touched the stereo at that time lol. It's been out but was working fine until I removed the whole centre to fit my new screen & since that it doesn't work so fook knows haha

Weird, well if power has been cut to the radio then id try the reset trick on page 1, but im guessing you've already done that. Ermmmmmm someone else mentioned that if you stick a pen in there is something you can flick that also makes it think there's as tape inserted.

I haven't done the reset no. Was just a little confused with not actually touching it lol. Understandable if I had as I could of caught something etc.

it needs to come out again anyway cos its still jumping at times even after the last removal & the spring being out in correctly this time

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.... just got a couple of Q's!

Getting a friend who is quite good at circuit boards and electrical stuff to do this for me... he has suggested the possibility and questioned likelihood of wiring in a USB socket, to which I can plug in an iPod usb lead because they always seem to go faulty- in this case if it does go dodgy I can just plug a new one in. Should this be do-able if earthed and given power supply?

Secondly, am I likely to encounter the 'enter code' situation after removing the stereo and refitting?

Thanks!