How to - BOSE PHONO / IPOD " hack " - guide

Husky

Just finished doing this mod to my car. All went well.

Mines the facelift 07 model with the factory sat nav. So, in order to reach those 2 top screws which hold the bose unit in, you need to pop out the small trim panel between the sat nav controls and the sat nav screen. The best way to do this is to slide a credit card in there, then use a wide bladed screw driver. Its just clipped in, so will pop out easily.

You then need to undo 2 silver screws which hold the sat nav controls in, then pull the control panel up (its clipped in at the bottom), unplug it, and then carry on as per the above guide.

Another thing, the ipod / iphone lead I got had 2 extra wires for power. I wired the black (earth) wire up to the metal chasis behind the centre control - the mounting screws screw into this, so was an ideal point to connect. (wrap wire around screw before you screw it in). The live wire, i spliced in to the thick white / blue? lead. Its easy to see as its the thickest lead going into the connectors on the back of the bose unit. This is perminantly live.

Now, not only can I play stuff from my ipod/iphone, I can charge it at the same time.

Interestingly, as soon as I started taking the dash appart I could see missing screws and evidence that someone else had already been there before me. The only thing I could find was that something must have been spliced into the perminant white/blue power wire, the thin grey wire and another wire on the same connector (3 wires) - as all 3 wires had tape wrapped around them. Not sure what this would have been?

Finally, i really wanted the ipod lead to come out in the little compartment next to the handbrake with the sliding top on it... but couldnt work out how to pop the centre tunnel trim up in order to feed the wire through to it. Any ideas?

Cheers for an excellent guide!!!!!

the centre tunnel all comes up in one piece, the screws for this in the pre 06 are behind the seats, under the ash tray, infront of the gear knob, 5 in total.

just make sure it is a 5v live wire and not a 12v to save burning out your Ipod, i have 5v regulators you can buy if you wish to power it from a 12v supply lead such as the cig lighter :thumbs:

the centre tunnel all comes up in one piece, the screws for this in the pre 06 are behind the seats, under the ash tray, infront of the gear knob, 5 in total.

just make sure it is a 5v live wire and not a 12v to save burning out your Ipod, i have 12v regulators you can buy if you wish to power it from a 12v supply lead such as the cig lighter :thumbs:

Good point.... i`ll get the multimeter on it and see what its showing. The missus would kill me if i blow her iphone up...

the idea is that the box is connected to the cig lighter circuit (or if i can be bothered i will wire in a permanent live with its own fuse) the regulator in the box provides a nice clean 5v supply to the usb ports. i then have a nice panel mount connector im putting in the cubby, the two are connected together by a bog standard usb cable.

i also have a phono female socket in the cubby as opposed to a loose male cable. i will post more pictures when i get a chance.

• 1 month later...

I found this post very useful when doing the line in mod so thought I would add some extras I did for my iPhone.

I purchased a cable which has a dock connector on one end, and two phono plugs and +12V and GND wires on the other end, with a little box in the middle to convert the power into 5V if required for the dock connector. This was pretty tricky to come by but I got one from a US seller on eBay in the end, cost about £15.

I soldered the line in cable from the back of the Bose as per this mod onto one end of a ground loop isolator (eBay £8), then plugged the aforementioned dock/power cable's phono plugs into the other end. I then spliced the 12V accessory power wire and ground wire from the dock cable into the corresponding wires in the loom that connects to the sat nav control buttons (pins 1 and 7 on the attached diagram respectively). My reasoning for this is that all the wiring can be cable tied up and hidden behind the sat nav switches (fits very nicely) and is more easily accessible than stashing it behind/under the stereo. This will obviously not be possible if you don't have the OEM sat nav and you will need to use the ground and ACC power feeds as specified elsewhere on this forum.

I then ran the dock connector out past the dash trim, up under the trim next to the driver knee pad, and connected it to a Brodit iPhone passthrough cradle secured to a Brodit Proclip. This gives me full access to my music on the iPhone just next to the steering wheel, and charges at the same time with no ground loop noise (there was a LOT of ground noise without the isolator in place).

Will post up some pics later, any questions please ask, I take no responsibility for any damage caused by this post, and thanks to the OP for this thread!

Sorted! Seems i'd nicked a wire when i was putting the cassette unit back in, power to one of the motors. Re-soldered it, put unit back in and worked first time :D Also fixed the cut steering wheel control wires that had been cut so car is now 100% ICE enabled once more :D Thanks again for the guides!

I'm going to give this a go over the bank holiday weekend, I'm struggling to get the gear knob off though so I might not get very far!

Would someone mind posting a link to a phono cable that I could use? Just want to make sure I get the right thing!

Something like this:

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/unbra ... LD26X.html

Or this:

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/unbra ... -cable-(5m)/KLD41.html

In both cases you would need to chop the male phonos off and solder that end to the Bose.

Thanks for those. Is it possible to do this without removing the gear knob because I just can't get it off.

I've just tried this mod but only got as far as removing the stereo - the 8 screws that hold the stereo into the (removed) centre console - I had 7 out but I just couldn't get the last one out - tight is an under statement! I also couldn't remove the stereo connectors without detaching it from the centre console either as I need to turn the stereo upsidedown.

So I gave up and put it back together :blush:

I done this last year and works well sort of :blush:

Every time i connect my htc desire to it, the phone turns off and i have to wait for it to power on again :angry: but works perfect after that. when i have finished and unplug the phone it does it again, turns off. This happens if the head unit is off and then powered on or off.

Anyone else have this issue ??

:thumbs:

is it just the phono or are you charging aswell?

just the simple phono, no charging. Wondering if a wire is touching together ? the phone does'nt shut down when i put headphones on just when it plugs into my bose unit :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...