How to - BOSE PHONO / IPOD " hack " - guide

Husky

It is a bit awkward to get out. What I did was to use a pair of pipe grips to squeeze the tab in. The tab is directly facing the camera in that shot above, so you have to manoeuvre the grips into position.

Cheers Steve, I tried again this morning and it came out without too much fuss now that I knew how it worked.

Great guide - I replaced the stock sat nav with a shiny new phablet, which pipes music to the Bose. Hopefully it'll pay off the several hours of swearing in no time!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Massive thanks to Husky and all the other contributors for writing this great thread! Was seriously fed up with not being able to listen to cd's without serious skipping issues. Was going to replace the head unit but thought for £6 might give this a go. WOW the sound quality is amazing, no noise interference and more importantly no motor noise. I didn't cut through the tracks or remove the spring and clip. I found an old cassette and removed the insides and just have that in the tape player. Thanks again to everyone :teeth:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've had to do the tape reset 3 times now and each time its been a PITA. Not helped in that the first 2 times I did it I must have tried it 20-30 times, given up, gone to bed and then it next time I've turned the engine on its just worked...

I've just figured out what I was doing wrong, so putting it hear to help others (but mainly so I can reference it next time I need to do it)

1) read the instructions properly...

2) Each time you try the reset you need to wait for the tape deck to stop making the whirring noises before holding down the eject button for 60 seconds.

so if the reset fails, press the eject button. wait the 10-15 seconds for the whirring to stop, then switch the ignition off and hold the eject button down for 60 seconds.

I was only letting the whirring noise run out on the first attempt no all the others...

Worked first time as soon as I realised.

• 5 months later...

I've updated the steps here: http://www.350z-uk.c...de/#entry686203 With info regarding both cutting of the tracks and removal of the spring. Both of these seem to be a common point of confusion so I hope that clears it up.

5 years later... Better late than never :D

31) Use a sharp blade to cut these three tracks, make sure you do not cut any other tracks in the process.

INFO: By cutting these tracks you will disable the tape playing ability of your head unit. If you never plan to listen to a cassette again, then go ahead and cut these. These lines were originally cut to reduce noise, however many people have left them intact and had no issue. It is your choice.

post-4823-135011901897_thumb.jpg

32) Now remove the spring circled in red in the below picture.

also remove the metal slider circled in blue.

This removes the need for a tape to be present

INFO: Again, removing these will disable your tape player, if you do not remove these you will need to trick the player into thinking a tape is present by either: once fully installed use a pen or similar in the tape slot to push/engage the mechanism until it locks in like it would with a tape being pushed in. OR, find an old cassette, pull out all the tape so it's empty, then leave it in the slot. The bay door will remain slightly open with a tape in, which some find unappealing. All three methods achieve the same goal, tricking the unit into thinking a working tape is present.

post-4823-135011901902_thumb.jpg

33) Slot the tape deck back into position being very carefull to line up the connector underneath correctly, do not bend any pins.

Replace the four screws on the tape deck.

post-4823-135011901906_thumb.jpg

Edited by Husky
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Easiest thing is to go straight up into the cubby hole. Others have used a longer cable and gone into the arm rest box (where the Bluetooth adapter is). I don't think you have to make any holes yourself, but to go to the arm rest you need to pull up more trim.

Plenty of pictures in this thread.

There's some in build thread too.

• Like 1

I usually have my phone stuck to the cubby hole door, so wouldn't want a wire trailing over the handbrake and gearstick to my phone. If there is space for a wire to trail out of the cubby hole with the door closed then that might work.

I was thinking more along the lines of through into the passenger footwell next to the 12V outlet.

Edited by Strudul

Looks good.

I just have a sticky pad I slap my phone onto:

00b488e170f563bd1da903bc1443bf95.png

Please ignore the scratched button. I didn't do it. :surrender:

you probs know already but if you take the cubby apart you paint the button without the rest of the cubby makes it look ,much better :)

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just used this handy guide to modify my headunit so I could run a line out from my Pioneer SPA-11DAB unit the wife bought me for Christmas. Sound quality is much better over the phono line than running it over FM signal. Thanks very much for the detailed write up :thumbs:

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...