Does your dogs need training? FREE

brown7758

hey guys,

i was thinking about this before tonight, but after the replies i got about my mate Liam RIP... and the high regard i now hold members in after reading thousands of posts ( interest and too much time on my hands because of sick leave :crutches: ) and because Dog Training is passion i have,

ive decided to give it a go...

Some members may have guessed i am an Army Dog Trainer, and i would like to offer knowlege and or physical help to anyone who is having problems with their dog or is thinking about getting one at any time..

i can help with any sort of problem weather it be,

Obedience :- pulling on the lead, walking at heel, sit and stay, etc.

Manners :- barking in the home, barking at people, at other dogs, pulling towards or jumping up on people/dogs (v-annoying for you and your muddy pawed friends )

Behavour :- aggression, house training etc.

and any other problems or issues regardless of how small i will try and help out..

everything i will do will be free of charge (unless there's alot of travelling involved, a % of Zed fuel costs may be required :p )

as i am in Glasgow, Chorley and Leicestershire, im not far from most people at some point, i would be willing to travel if needed when i can.

although for alot of problems, emails/ PM's/ phone conversations would suffice ;)

Just an idea, as for a trainer or puppy classes you would usually shell out the same or more per hour as certain big name garages (Arnold Shark) when a simple PM or meet would suffice..

Post and PM if anyone at any point would like absolutely any help (as my Desire does not show PM's)

thankyou for reading, and pass the word..

Will Brown

RAVC

p.s. could someone, anyone give this a BUMP every so often so everyone gets the opertunity,

or could Admin set it as a sticky :p oh, and could someone that sorts smilies get a dog one 4 me?? (preferably a german shepherd ;) )

• Like 7

Very timley :teeth::teeth:

My boy (Rescue) 95% of time is the perfect dog but sometimes if out and sees another dog pulls/lunges towards the dog - not evey dog though. With him being a rather large boy this has put the other 1/2 off walking him after almost pulling her over.

Any advice would be appreciated ta

Hi Will

I have a 9 month old doberman (snoop), he has a great temperament and is very friendly but i have a problem which is very annoying. He will not come back when he is called, it took 45mins to get him back recently !

Even if i have a treat he will not come back :bang: what can you recommend ? I am willing to take to time to resolve this

Ps. my son is in the marines (42 commando) and did a tour of afghan, atm he is training and i've got a feeling Libya is the next stop, my heart goes out to your friends parents

Ha! My Mrs will be pleased at this. I've got a Patterdale Terrier, nearly three, she is a great little dog in many ways but the problem I've got is her powers of recall are bordering on insulence.

She can be fine off the lead, away from roads, most of the time, but as soon as she gets a scent, pesky wabbit or similar, she's off!!! Need some sort of Indian Rope trick type thing to quell this.

She also likes to attack the letter box if our living room door is not closed, when the postman delivers mail, she doesn't rip the mail up, just grabs it and pulls it through the box, luckily the postie knows her and is fine with it. It's fun when it's some sort of leaflet dropper, and I erm encourage her :blush: , to deter future leafleteers!!

No human or dog or human with a dog is allowed to pass our front window without a response, this can range from a subtle growl, to a full on "this window will not stop me" type assault.

Apart from all that, she's a very loving animal, anyone can approach her and anyone can take anything off her. Any tips or help would be greatly received :thumbs:

Very timley :teeth::teeth:

My boy (Rescue) 95% of time is the perfect dog but sometimes if out and sees another dog pulls/lunges towards the dog - not evey dog though. With him being a rather large boy this has put the other 1/2 off walking him after almost pulling her over.

Any advice would be appreciated ta

Aritie,

the first way to try and sort it out, which is will help with general obedience with most dogs, is to take a handful of little treats with you when your out,

you have to be really quick when it happens, almost pre-empt it, so that he doesnt get a chance to go (check for a change in attitude, a tensing, just something different)

and when you think he is about to or just has,

make a sharp turn away in a random direction to break contact and say no (short and sharp, no yelling),

put your hand in front of his nose with 1 or two small treats so he realises they are there,

when he does look away towards you/your hand, let him take them and praise him with a few short words (good/good boy/bravo)

this is something you can do to great advantage in the park or a heavily dog populated area,

if you do it a few times, he should get the picture and your other half should be able to do the same with no problems from the dog..

Try this and if no luck just ask again :D

Will

Hi Will

I have a 9 month old doberman (snoop), he has a great temperament and is very friendly but i have a problem which is very annoying. He will not come back when he is called, it took 45mins to get him back recently !

Even if i have a treat he will not come back :bang: what can you recommend ? I am willing to take to time to resolve this

Ps. my son is in the marines (42 commando) and did a tour of afghan, atm he is training and i've got a feeling Libya is the next stop, my heart goes out to your friends parents

This one may take a while, or he will get it straight away,

does he have a favourite rag toy? chew toy? if not, again small treats will be fine..

a controlled environment will help aswell for this, a small compound or enclosed field..

this is basic sit, stay and recall.

start off using an extendible lead,

tell him to sit at heel, give him a treat,

now walk away 5 or 10 steps, and then tell him 'Snoop come' in a nice high friendly voice,

hold out your hand with the treats in as he gets closer and give him one.. if you are using his toy, give him it and have a short play stage,

you can progress the distance with quite quickly this and even incorporate a whistle (do what is working, ie. the 'snoop come' and then do two short blasts of the whistle)

but, he may start anticipating the re-call, so every so often go back to him when he is staying and give him a treat.

when he has the hang of the 'snoop come' or the whistle blasts and knows when he returns its a good thing, this should then also work when he is off lead at any time.

as with anything dog training, one of the most important things is 'voice infliction',

this is changing the tone, pitch and level of your voice for good behaviour or unwanted behaviour..

the other process is as ask, tell, make.. for the ask its a nice high pitched happy command, for the tell its a harsher command (but never shouting) and make is physically moving the dog to the position or place you want it (never a harsh thing, a calm movement) i.e. lifting the collar with one hand and pushing down the rear with the other for a 'Sit'

try this and see if you have any improvement,

if not just say we can try something else

Will

Thanks Will

pretty much what I have been doing but prob my timing is out as once he spots the other dog he wont accept treat. I know that also Im not helping by shortening the lead when I spot the dog first (or so Ive been told ) but prob is with the lead slack gives him the space to get a real good tug and this can almost send me flying - he is 70 kg :bangin:

If you have the time and in area would be great if you could pop over and give some one to one training to me

here he is :D

rolome-1.jpg

• 1 year later...

On a totally unrelated dog point, akthough it is related because the dog did it does anyone have any ideas as to how i can get paw scratches out of the passenger seat of my Zed? She's only a littltle Patterdale so the scratches aren't massive but have gone through the top layer of the black leaving the colour of the orange stitching underneath I tried boot polish to no avail? Would going over the lines with black leather dye be better? Any ideas really welcome cos all i can see out of the corner of my eye is this bloogy patch of scratches and i'd love to get them repaired. Thanks for any replies. SAM

On a totally unrelated dog point, akthough it is related because the dog did it does anyone have any ideas as to how i can get paw scratches out of the passenger seat of my Zed? She's only a littltle Patterdale so the scratches aren't massive but have gone through the top layer of the black leaving the colour of the orange stitching underneath I tried boot polish to no avail? Would going over the lines with black leather dye be better? Any ideas really welcome cos all i can see out of the corner of my eye is this bloogy patch of scratches and i'd love to get them repaired. Thanks for any replies. SAM

PM Pete @ 4RE Leather :thumbs:

• 11 months later...

Might have to drop you a PM bud, I have a 4/5 year old Shar Pei, who wasn't looked after to the best standard by a previous owner. Had her for 1-2 years now. Love her to bits and she's great! Sleeps most of the time.

Issues -

-Not trusted off lead - Runs off

-Other dogs, she's very aggressive and protective

-Charges the door when someone knocks

-She sleeps in my room, and see's it as her space, so if someone was to walk into my room, she tends to growl. (Never aggressive or goes for them, just a warning)

Other than that she is good as gold, very friendly people person.

Hi, we have 2 Lhasa Apso's. Both have great nature's and are 4 years old. The oldest of the 2 (millie)loves to bark anytime anyone comes near the house. The other one (poppy) never barks. My vet said Millie barks because we got her first and Poppy knows barking is Millie's job??

Anyway its great that she lets us know if someone is around but not a 3am when its our 21 year old son coming home from a night out. I know i cant pick and choose when she barks but she know's fine well its our son coming home, lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...