Window Tints

ioneabee

• 2 years later...

If you go to a good auto tinter they will advise you .. Drug dealer black is neva a good look or idea .. I have ran all my cars with light tints and have never had any problems with the plod.. Mines very similar th Geoff-r above. Personally i think all cars look a lot better with the a tint

• 3 months later...

The maximum legal tint is 30% for the door glass, and as black as you want for the rear glass and hatch. Anything darker than that is both illegal and stupid. thumbs.gif

I've recently looked into having my glass tinted, I'm led to believe that the law states that both front side windows must allow 70% light transmission.

Having spoken to very reputable local company offering this service it appears that the OEM side windows on the 370 are pretty much on the legal limit! This is not uncommon on new cars. I was also informed that my insurance could be invalidated by the application of a tint film, it can actually prevent access through the glass in the event of a RTA.

Tints have no bearing on insurance, as long as they are declared. I could go and fit some deadbolts to the inside of my car doors along with some plastic non-moveable screens all round if I wanted which would seriously impede the emergency services, but I could still get insured.

Tints have no bearing on insurance, as long as they are declared. I could go and fit some deadbolts to the inside of my car doors along with some plastic non-moveable screens all round if I wanted which would seriously impede the emergency services, but I could still get insured.

As I said, could be invalidated, what if the tint prevented 69% of light through, covered or not? Thing is tinting the side windows is something I'd like to do, but not sure if I'd enjoy standing at the side of the road attemting to peel it off in the presence of the plod? I imagine it's got a tighter grip than Abu Hamza on plane boarding steps.

The maximum legal tint is 30% for the door glass, and as black as you want for the rear glass and hatch. Anything darker than that is both illegal and stupid. thumbs.gif

I've recently looked into having my glass tinted, I'm led to believe that the law states that both front side windows must allow 70% light transmission.

Having spoken to very reputable local company offering this service it appears that the OEM side windows on the 370 are pretty much on the legal limit! This is not uncommon on new cars. I was also informed that my insurance could be invalidated by the application of a tint film, it can actually prevent access through the glass in the event of a RTA.

I cannot see window tints affecting our access if you are involved in an RTC, on the fire appliances we have glass punches, glass saws & battery powered saws (used on the windscreen) plus many other tools, if all else fails we have Holmatro and Weber, these turn most cars into convertibles within a few minutes :lol:

As I said, could be invalidated, what if the tint prevented 69% of light through, covered or not? Thing is tinting the side windows is something I'd like to do, but not sure if I'd enjoy standing at the side of the road attemting to peel it off in the presence of the plod? I imagine it's got a tighter grip than Abu Hamza on plane boarding steps.

And I'm saying that a window tint, even a 100% one or a blacked out bit of cloth stuck across the window, will not in any way affect your insurance, period. Yes, the police will want a word, but that's all.

You'll be telling me your insurance is invalid if you don't have an MOT next.

There are a couple of points here

1. the law states 70% - end of

2. as Ekona said so long as you declare them..................but because they are illegal - they will not accept it (or should not)

so even if you get your insurance to cover you, they could still attempt to wriggle out of any claim by the fact that they would exceed the legal limit :shrug:

that said, I would still like to do it..............but won't 'cos couldn't afford to lose my insurance cover

also agree with cmp999 - a bit of film will NOT impede access to the car by the Brigade - they love playing with their toys and any excuse to make your car into a convertible :lol:

It's illegal to put a louder exhaust on your car, but 95% of insurers will happily insure that.

crikey - I've not heard that one before - thats pretty much everyone on here buggered then :scare:

its also a bit like someone on here recently said whilst you can SORN your car and even if its parked off the public highway it still MUST be insured - load of old b*llocks - I checked :dry::p

You are correct. Both 350/370 leave the factory almost bang on the limit.

It's illegal to put a louder exhaust on your car, but 95% of insurers will happily insure that.

crikey - I've not heard that one before - thats pretty much everyone on here buggered then :scare:

'Tis true, under the construction and use regs IIRC. Almost no-one ever gets done for it unless it's ridiculously loud or completely out of context with the vehicle (i.e. 110dB on a TVR would be okay, 110dB on a Saxo not so much), but in theory the law still stands. Someone got charged for that on PH recently, but was essentially let off in court due to dodgy police noise measuring.

There are a couple of points here

1. the law states 70% - end of

2. as Ekona said so long as you declare them..................but because they are illegal - they will not accept it (or should not)

so even if you get your insurance to cover you, they could still attempt to wriggle out of any claim by the fact that they would exceed the legal limit :shrug:

that said, I would still like to do it..............but won't 'cos couldn't afford to lose my insurance cover

also agree with cmp999 - a bit of film will NOT impede access to the car by the Brigade - they love playing with their toys and any excuse to make your car into a convertible :lol:

Thank you, think that covers what I've been saying ;) I want to do it, but knowing it wont be legal will negate my insurance because boy oh boy will they wriggle out of that one!

Just tried the bit of cloth over the window, looked really naff :dry: silly idea...

FFS, this is getting painful now.

HAVING ILLEGAL TINTS WILL NOT INVALIDATE YOUR INSURANCE.

What will is not telling them. If you declare it, then they cannot refuse to cover you in the event of a claim. What it will do is make your car illegal and dangerous, and that surely is the bigger issue.