New Member After Advice

Hello all, sorry but a complete 350Z newbie here,

I've been lurking here for a while looking at various threads for information but decided it's time to join.

So, I've literally just turned 23 and feel that my Ford Fiesta Zetec S is getting a little too young and "boy racerish" for me now. I also do a lot more motorway miles than I have needed to do in the past (to put it into perspective, I have owned the Fiesta for almost 3 years and I have only done 7000 miles in that time, 900 of those since September when hitting the motorway more to see a friend at university). I need something that isn't screaming when it gets to 70mph and the Fiesta just doesn't feel at home doing long journeys. I did a trip from West London to Great Yarmouth a while back and was aching all over by the time I got there.

I have always loved the look of the 350Z and I now want one. I have done a fair bit of research and looking on Autotrader and the like but would like some "inside info" from those who own and know the car. I read through the "Guide for new members/potential buyers" which was a good start.

I've done a few rough quotes on a 2006 and it is around £1000 which is probably what I paid on my first ever car 3rd party. However from looking around there are people my age or younger paying less using insurance brokers who are members here so hopefully I can throw some business their way.

From what I have been reading pre-2006 cars pay less tax so that is a consideration when looking I suppose?

If I sell my current car I should get between £3000-4000 for it and then the rest will be cash. A local car dealer had a 2006 Zed for under £10k recently but it went the next day. I guess my budget is about £12000. I would prefer the GT pack. I'm not 100% sure if it does or doesn't include the sat-nav but either way what I hear, the sat-nav is a little naff.

I guess I'm waffling on but I could do with some advice on what on Earth to aim for.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to a few replies.

Pete.

for around £12000 you can pick up a nice 350z and there are plenty around so dont just buy 1st 1 you see check out a few.the factory sat nav isnt that good youd be better off buying 1 without and fitting your own.i have a sony in mine which fits perfectly in the cubby and can be taken out to use in other cars.

budget seems fine, should get something around the 05 to 06 reg for that, condition is everything on the zed, if its tatty walk away. or haggle them down alot.

long drives are fine engine at 70 mph sits at around 2.5k to 3k rpm

i found the seat gave me hip ache but im funny; most find the zed very comfortable.

insurance try admiral; adrian flux, i would say chris knotts as well but they wont touch you till you've had a performance car for more than 12 months and not crash it.

sat nav is crap i'd find an after market one.

Welcome to the forum. 350Z prices are all over the place these days but you could get a facelift 06 model on that budget. Alternatively, you could pick up an 05/55 model for a little less, Don't take too much time looking for one with a Nissan SatNav, aftermarket ones are much better and as rtbuiscuit says, it runs around 28 mph per 1,000 revs and is surprisingly economical on Motorways. It's very important that you inspect the service record as well. If you see one you fancy then ask someone from here to look at it for you, most will be glad to check it out for you.

Good luck!

Pete

Thanks for all the replies and the welcome.

I'm fairly picky with car colours. I want either a black or grey one. I'd go without the sat-nav but look for the GT pack. Any links to a decent after market sat-nav & stereo as I hear the Bose one is pretty poor & I use my iPod all the time.

Admiral showed be at a little over £1000 with both parents as named drivers but the excess is £1000 which is insane... They were the only people that were under £2000 but that £1000 excess is well... stupid.

Any ideas there?

Thanks Chris & Martin. Well I have found a few contenders and I have Saturday filled with going to see 2 cars. I may buy one there and then if I can get the seller down on the price. It's just the insurance... It's not the £1000 a year, it's that damned £1000 excess fee which scares me off :thumbdown:.

Someone said Chris Knott won't touch me as I haven't had a performance car before which is far enough, but would Sky Insurance? I had a banger for one year then my 1.6 Fiesta for 3 years in April, so I have almost 4 years no claims. I suppose they can argue I haven't had a performance car before, but at the same time I haven't got a track record for writing off anything else. If the excess was £700 or below I'd buy now.

Admiral showed be at a little over £1000 with both parents as named drivers but the excess is £1000 which is insane... They were the only people that were under £2000 but that £1000 excess is well... stupid.

Any ideas there?

Bite the bullet and don't crash it or let someone steal it, and then the excess is immaterial ............ I have insured all my cars with high excess as I consider that it's cheaper overall to sort out small damage claims without involving the insurance company anyway

and

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Your excess is excessive to say the least. :lol:

When I had my zed at 20, I had 2 years NCB, no points or bumps and my insurance was £1300 for 10 months, with an excess of roughly £500 if memory serves me correctly.

I would tinker about with your quote, you may find that by lowering your excess, your policy quote will not rise by much.

Your excess is excessive to say the least. :lol:

When I had my zed at 20, I had 2 years NCB, no points or bumps and my insurance was £1300 for 10 months, with an excess of roughly £500 if memory serves me correctly.

I would tinker about with your quote, you may find that by lowering your excess, your policy quote will not rise by much.

Admiral won't touch me below £1000 excess so I will probably have to bite the bullet. I cycle to work every now and then so I can keep the miles down also. How you got a Zed at 2o I don't know though, I struggled to insure a Clio at 18 below £1400 and my Fiesta below £1000. Do you live in a low crime area? My area isn't too bad but could be better.