Working Xtrail NAVI unit in JDM

michaelwr

Hi,

just swapped out my JDM Navi unit for a Xtrail unit and it seems to work quite happily with the display - now just need to go on a lengthy trip to see if it makes sense and can keep up :)

I have a few Jap cables with nowhere to plug them in but chuffed the unit recognised my location, spoke to me in English and I've managed to work out the buttons.

To replace the Navi need to take off the front surround so you can get a ratchet down the side to remove the screws.

Need to get to the rear to declip the cables by removing the driver/passenger foot door trim and side interior. I then managed to get the "luggage floor finisher upper (rear)" prised out without removing the boot trim. Getting it back in is a bugger put a bit of careful bashing got it flush.

Managed it in around 2 hours and I'm a novice.

Hope this help someone.

Wow, you leg-end. thats cool.

Have to look into this. Where did ya ya the strail unit from then? Sure theres a few written off x-trails maybe more than z's too.

PS

:D LOl yourve already put in on ebay. . . . .http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-DVD-Naviga ... dZViewItem

funny 5hit. . . .

-----------------------------------

:) Nope not mine, ripping it out was plan b.

I saw one unit and hassled the guy several times if it was a UK or JDM unit and got no answer. Looked through items he bought recently and saw he had puchased an import. There are some sneeky gits out there...

Jamie

Hi,

just swapped out my JDM Navi unit for a Xtrail unit and it seems to work quite happily with the display - now just need to go on a lengthy trip to see if it makes sense and can keep up :)

I have a few Jap cables with nowhere to plug them in but chuffed the unit recognised my location, spoke to me in English and I've managed to work out the buttons.

To replace the Navi need to take off the front surround so you can get a ratchet down the side to remove the screws.

Need to get to the rear to declip the cables by removing the driver/passenger foot door trim and side interior. I then managed to get the "luggage floor finisher upper (rear)" prised out without removing the boot trim. Getting it back in is a bugger put a bit of careful bashing got it flush.

Hope this help someone.

Superb job! :bounce:

Which parts of the jdm unit did you retain if any of it?

Good call with the sticky.

I havnt got my JDM, but, shes in transit, so can you answer me an impatient question michael.

The TV obviously dont work over here, but , woul dit of in Japan or was the TV button there but nothing connected.

Are the only reason you have 2 wires free because the old unit had TV built into it aswell? That would be the ulitmate. TV AND navi working

J

• 3 weeks later...

One other question sorry - did you have to get any 'uk' cables with this. In other words if i was to get the xtrail unit but it didn't come with any cables, would that be a problem?.....or is it just a plug in / replace the unit only job?

Thanks very much

Andrew

You could make a fortune doing this for import zedders ;)

--------------------------------------------------------

Yep, trouble is not many up north so for a southern market would need to include expenses and a night out in any quotes.

Seriously mentioned this to my importer as lots of value adds they could do.

Yep, trouble is not many up north

Are you crazy? Not many people up north with import zeds? :scare::scare:

The majority of people north of birmingham are so poor they can't afford uk cars and have to buy imports, ask Lomoto :p

The majority of people north of birmingham are so poor they can't afford uk cars and have to buy imports, ask Lomoto :p

I'm that poor I live in a shoe box in't middle o't road B)

But you do have a flashing nismo decal :thumbs:

But you do have a flashing nismo decal :thumbs:

True :blush:

• 1 month later...

plenty x-trails in my area with navigation unit`s missin over the next few week`s (any1 know where they are situated ?)i dont nomarlly break in to motor`s so i`ll get someone else to do it ,after some one tried to break in to ma z ...until my pooch caught him in the act(the sack`s) ..poor bugger!ps im intending to get some ice installed any idea`s boy`s?

• 8 months later...

Hi, I was reading your meassage as i too have a 350z with sat nav JDM

Do you have any phots of your new sat nav xtrail conversion.

Having looked on ebay can't find any xtrail sat nav units although have posted on parts breakers site.

Any advice would be welcomed as i would like to have anav system that works.

cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...
Hi,

just swapped out my JDM Navi unit for a Xtrail unit and it seems to work quite happily with the display - now just need to go on a lengthy trip to see if it makes sense and can keep up

Hope this help someone.

Im gona attempt to fit my new sat nad dvd player tonight... i can see what u mean by needing to unscrew the dvd player using ratchet from sides.. but connecting the cables..i didnt get why i need to remove the passenger or driver door trim and side interior?! .. i thought can just access the rear of the dvd player by unclipping the trim bihind the rear speakers?

Can you clarify for me.. cheers.

I didn't have to remove any of the other trim, just the 'letter box' surround for the DVD unit. Like most of the other parts of the trim it unclips with careful insertion of a flat bladed screwdriver.

Pull out the 4 connectors from the rear of the JDM unit. Only 2 will fit in the UK unit, so you can't go wrong, then just tape up/tuck away the redundant ones. Slide the new unit into place and refit the screws into the side mounts (screws are a bit of a bugger to refit). Clip the trim back in and your'e all set to turn the system on. Can take a few mins to boot up.

You may need to use a programme CD before installing the DVD map disc if nothing has been left on the replacement unit.

I replaced mine almost a year ago for a 2005 X-Trail unit and have had no problems. :teeth:

I didn't have to remove any of the other trim, just the 'letter box' surround for the DVD unit. Like most of the other parts of the trim it unclips with careful insertion of a flat bladed screwdriver.

Pull out the 4 connectors from the rear of the JDM unit. Only 2 will fit in the UK unit, so you can't go wrong, then just tape up/tuck away the redundant ones. Slide the new unit into place and refit the screws into the side mounts (screws are a bit of a bugger to refit). Clip the trim back in and your'e all set to turn the system on. Can take a few mins to boot up.

You may need to use a programme CD before installing the DVD map disc if nothing has been left on the replacement unit.

I replaced mine almost a year ago for a 2005 X-Trail unit and have had no problems. :teeth:

Thats great..cheers!

Just need to find a way to get to those screws..impossible to get your hand in there.. need L shaped screw driver or ratchet.

Also ..dont have any program CD with it.. just the map X0.6.. fingers crossed it still works (can any nissan program cd off ebay work for initial setup?)

BAD NEWS> ive installed it.. got it done in less than 30mins without removing the rear trim.. but when i turn on ignition and nothing ..its like power plug isnt connected or something so i double checked them and all the plugs are in :headhurt:

Usually the JDM one..as soon as u open the cubby flap the nissan screen loads up and some japanese writing too..

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - any ideas or help on this??

Someone said might help if i diconnect the car battery for few mins to re-set everything.. then it might recognise new dvd system?