midzt's carputer project

midzt

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link - interesting to see what other people have done and it seems I'll probably go a very similar way.

An update and change - I have now bought a new motherboard and processor so I'll now be running a Intel Atom.

I was having too many problems with the old hardware and though spending £50 odd would be worth it in the long run, I have now ordered my screen which should both be coming soon.

In the mean time I've got the PSU today in the post- it's an M3-ATX and it's tiny!

photoav.th.jpg

EDIT: Decided to get a case now as well, so I've pretty much just built a whole new PC now.....

So most of the stuff for the PC arrived today so I proceeded to build and install on it what I can.

This is what I have so far -

Lilliput 7'' Touchscreen

M3-ATX PSU

Intel motherboard with integrated Atom CPU

Bluetooth dongle off ebay

and a case from LinITX.

as well as using the old HD from my Macbook.

f50k93.jpg

Still waiting on the RAM. The RAM is used during the install was from my PC and was too tall to fit in the case due to the heat sink on it.

This is the mess that was during install.

2mw87mf.jpg

And finally the PC running Centrafuse:

hweuq0.jpg

I'm pleasantly surprised at how quick and reactive the touch screen is and the system seems to be running well. Did a quick test with the Bluetooth and pairing with my iPhone and everything seems to be working fine.

Not too much to install after this so the hard bit needs to be done now - acutally fitting it into the car.....

Won't be able to do that for a while unfortunately due to exams and coursework but hopefully will be done by mid February.

242ab8l.jpg

• 1 month later...

Right.....very small update.

Managed to secure the screen into the cubby whole now.

2mgjk9l.jpg

I really need to start getting my backside into gear to install this....but uni work keep taking priority..

• 3 weeks later...

Right, so I've finally got this in!

I totally forgot to take any install photos but intallation was much easier than I expected - albeit with a lot of help with the wiring from my housemate.

The centre tunnel console came out a lot easier than I expected and thanks for the help from @neo-ninja for the tips!

Anyway, here are the photos of the install:

I've still got to get a USB GPS receiver so that the maps within Centrafuse will work but that should pretty much be it.

10zvn1h.jpg

May need to tidy up those wires a little bit, but thats just really tucking them in.

4vr8k2.jpg

thanks for the mention (i had lots of help from guides others did on the forum, i still need to write up one myself), on my screen with full sun shining in its a little hard to see, but i need to turn everything up and just havent got round to it. I have heard it is fine once you do that

It's not too bad in the sunshine, but I haven't really been out when it's been too bright. So I'll have to update if I have any problems, but I think it should be ok.

Not 100% on how much I've spent altogether....I don't really want to price it up if I'm honest but I'll have to at some point and will let you guys know.

• 1 year later...

I just gotta say you've done a terrific job on it. I saw one years ago fitted to a white S14 import. That looked really trick to but was mounted on the tiniest of stalks. Some fleabag would've had that out in microseconds. At least yours looks like its been factory fitted and the fit looks solid. Well done again, I bet you get inundated with offers of builds after this. SAM