Fifth Gear silly season!

vern

I know that there were a few postings last week about the episode where they pitched the 370 against the TTRS and Boxter, but really what was the point.

There is no doubt that TTRS is a top car and I'm sure given the choice we would all swap our Z's for one, but I fail to see why they put this up against the 370 roadster (auto) and the Boxter. EVO magazine even set a quicker time around the Bedford Autodome in a TTRS that their Audi R8(V8)

I would have liked to seen the 370 coupe (manual) against a base Cayman and a TTS. I would also liked to have seen Jason or Tiff in the Z to give it half a chance!

I think the most important thing though that wasn't considered in any great detail was the respective pricing. I ran the 4 relevant cars through the manufacturers configurators (it's been a slow week!!) to match the specifications with the 370z coupe GT and these are the figures (all with solid paint):

TTS: £36140

TTRS: £47535

Cayman: £43255

370z: £31645

If you run the Cayman S to the full 370 spec, it ends up over 50k!

My two conclusions are that (we all know this) the 370z is excellent value for money and that Fifth Gear only ever had one intention......to make the TTRS look good!

I like Fifth Gear, but lets leave the silly stuff to the other three on BBC.

They compare them because one of Nissans direct competitors is Audi. The zeds equivilent being the TT.

In the past few years, Fifth Gear and Top Gear are both guilty of focusing too much on one thing - how fast cars are against eachother on a track. To me its a pointless test since in the real world there are too many variables (even on track).

Unless the car is obviously much much faster (at least a second) then why focus on the speed (we're not playing top trumps when driving are we?). I can live with being half a second slower - we don't have an F1 car and doesn't make any real noticeable difference.

I'd still rather have a zed than a TTRS. Better value all round and then if you really wanted to fork out TTRS price then they'll be better cars (IMO) to buy in this price bracket as well (such as a 18 month old GTR, brand new Exige, 2nd hand GT3 - the list keeps going).