Falken FK452's VS ZE912

r111nxx

I ordered the 452 and after a mix up got the 912. I had no choice as it was a friday afternoon and had a long trip planned the next day on almost bald Bridgestones.

I know people dont rate them,but to be honest,iv had no issues with them. I find them pretty quiet,and the grip is impressive,even in the wet,snow,and ice. The 452 maybe a better summer tyre,but in this weather im pretty happy with the 912

I ordered the 452 and after a mix up got the 912. I had no choice as it was a friday afternoon and had a long trip planned the next day on almost bald Bridgestones.

I know people dont rate them,but to be honest,iv had no issues with them. I find them pretty quiet,and the grip is impressive,even in the wet,snow,and ice. The 452 maybe a better summer tyre,but in this weather im pretty happy with the 912

912's wont be bad; they aren't bad tyres and they'll be alot better than the ditch finder cheap crap you can get from china etc.

452's are by no means a premium tyre but its a good budget tyre and it performs better in a sports situation than the 912.

I have the 912's on the front as the previous owner put them on just before I bought the car. I read a review saying they were ok all year round and I havent had any probs so far. This said I have the original potenza's on the rear still with tons of tread as only covered 20k now my dilema is do I replace the potenza's for the 912's as its "bad" to mix tyres or wait till they are all due and get 452's? Any advice while we are on the subject. Sorry to gatecrash!

Should I wait till they need doing or get them done then sell the old ones? Money is tight at the mo but feel i'm not really pushing the car to what its capable of just in case it comes unstuck! :scare:

part worns aren't always easy to sell on

only a decision you can make, :shrug:

if you feel comfortable with the setup and your not really pushing the car, then just get some 912s for the rear. save up and swap them for something else when you feel more flush.

Should I wait till they need doing or get them done then sell the old ones? Money is tight at the mo but feel i'm not really pushing the car to what its capable of just in case it comes unstuck! :scare:

It's not your own driving you've got to worry about, it's everyone else's. What happens if some idiot pulls out in front of you and you need to make a very quick manoeuvre to avoid him, but because of your mixed tyres coupled with the dodgy weather and road conditions, the back end steps out unexpectedly and you spin 360? Now what if the same thing happens but there's a child on the pavement and you wipe them out with your spin?

Change them all and change them now. For the sake of a couple of hundred quid, it's just not worth it.

the 452 are the better of the 2 tyres. fk452 aimed at the performance market, ze912 is aimed at the day to day user shopping wagon etc.

+1 with Rich on that.

I changed mine out a month or so ago to 452 from the OEM Bridgestones on advice from the guys and gals here.

Not alot of money. Got 4 wheel alignment done too and the handling is far more secure and responsive, wet weather especially.

Reckon its the best upgrade you can make to a Z imo

Bradders.

• 2 months later...

i Fitted FK452's to my Zed just after Christmas and i find the sidewalls of the rears have to much lateral movement in them which makes me paranoid, thinking the car has a slow puncture all the time. The fronts follow every little surface change and have a strong self centre feel to them which also adds to my worries. So much so I am thinking of taking them off in favour of another set of Bridgestones

i Fitted FK452's to my Zed just after Christmas and i find the sidewalls of the rears have to much lateral movement in them which makes me paranoid, thinking the car has a slow puncture all the time. The fronts follow every little surface change and have a strong self centre feel to them which also adds to my worries. So much so I am thinking of taking them off in favour of another set of Bridgestones

i never ran them on the Zed, but i have them in a lower profile on the S2k and they've been brilliant, but in the profile i have the tyre is extremely rigid. also i think there are 2 versions the normal fk452 and the 452 XL which has reinforced sidewalls.

i found the sessantas extremely good on the 350Z, might be worth a try if the falkens don;t suit your driving style.

It's not your own driving you've got to worry about, it's everyone else's. What happens if some idiot pulls out in front of you and you need to make a very quick manoeuvre to avoid him, but because of your mixed tyres coupled with the dodgy weather and road conditions, the back end steps out unexpectedly and you spin 360? Now what if the same thing happens but there's a child on the pavement and you wipe them out with your spin?

Change them all and change them now. For the sake of a couple of hundred quid, it's just not worth it.

How would the back end step out if the rear had better tyres on it?

Because it's got different grip levels to the front. Better or worse doesn't necessarily come into it when you're playing with random tyre setups in emergency conditions, an over/undercorrection because of mixed feedback could easily cause a spin.

Because it's got different grip levels to the front. Better or worse doesn't necessarily come into it when you're playing with random tyre setups in emergency conditions, an over/undercorrection because of mixed feedback could easily cause a spin.

Have you ever driven with mixed tyres?

The whole mixed tyres thing is massively over-played here :wacko:

Whether you're accelerating or braking, going up hill or down hill, road camber, body roll, uneven tread wear/depth, and tyre pressure all have a similar if not greater effect.

In professional tyre tests there's only a few mph between the best and worst cornering speed. Driving on an empty tank takes ~10% off the weight on the rear axle and grip is roughly proportional to that weight.

Once an axle has started to slide those tyres generate less grip anyway because dynamic friction is less than static friction. If the rear steps out on 4 identical tyres you DON'T have identical grip all round to sort it out.

There's an awful lot of 200SXs and S2000s gone through hedges on 4 identical high-end tyres ;)