Who has converted there Z to coilover rears?

Polo

Has any one converted there Z's to take coilovers on the rear? What spring rates did you use?

Im converting my V35, but a bit unsure what spring rates to go for??

Curently iv found most Z coilover front/in board spring rears are 12/11,

Iv been told 14/7 once converted for a stiffer setup.

Stock 350Z isnt really designed to run rear coil overs , the rear inner wing isnt designed to take the increased load caused by fitting a coil over , you have to strengthen the top mounts. On a stock car the top mount only take the damper load the spring loads goes into the car via chassis leg.

You need to do a little fabrication to take the increased load caused by the coil over.

Stock 350Z isnt really designed to run rear coil overs , the rear inner wing isnt designed to take the increased load caused by fitting a coil over , you have to strengthen the top mounts. On a stock car the top mount only take the damper load the spring loads goes into the car via chassis leg.

You need to do a little fabrication to take the increased load caused by the coil over.

Correct in a way but not totaly. The shock the turret will get when a bump is hit is far greater than the weight of the car, 4 times or more depending how hard the bump is. (forces applied to dampers have a greater effect on mounting areas than springs do, after all the shock is there to stop the spring ossolating, so there for is stronger) Also, this is not for a Z, its a V35 which has a much greater and substatial rear upper cross brace and parcel shelf. Also, if you look at earlier cars, such as s13/s14/s15/r32/r33 and r34 which are all coilover spring on the rear, the rear inner wings and turrets are fare less substantial than the V35's. How ever the shell has been fully seam welded and also has a serious fully welded and gusseted cage :)

forces applied to dampers have a greater effect on mounting areas than springs do, after all the shock is there to stop the spring ossolating, so there for is stronger)

I do kind of agree , but the weight of the car is on the spring , take the damper off the car stays at ride height take the spring of the car will fall onto it bump stops. So this means the load goes throught he spring the damper controls the ocsillation cause dby the spring being compressed.

Just had a look around a V35 which we have in for some work it does look a little more stronger than than a 350Z , but I have seen a Z fitted with Coil overs without strenghtening actaully move the inner wing.

If you having or had a cage fittied tie the top mounts into the cage end of story.

Mark

forces applied to dampers have a greater effect on mounting areas than springs do, after all the shock is there to stop the spring ossolating, so there for is stronger)

I do kind of agree , but the weight of the car is on the spring , take the damper off the car stays at ride height take the spring of the car will fall onto it bump stops. So this means the load goes throught he spring the damper controls the ocsillation cause dby the spring being compressed.

Just had a look around a V35 which we have in for some work it does look a little more stronger than than a 350Z , but I have seen a Z fitted with Coil overs without strenghtening actaully move the inner wing.

If you having or had a cage fittied tie the top mounts into the cage end of story.

Mark

Lol, this could go on some :lol: If you took the damper off the car and hit a pot hole, the spring would become coil bound and then bash in to the chassis, this bash would be much greater than the weight of the car acting on the chassis ;) Get what im getting at? Also, springs are often mounted inboard, never see shocks inboard as the forces on the mounting points would be so great.

As you can see from the pic, the shelf has a 3" square bar the hole way accross, also above the turret there is a panel that ties the shelft/turret into the C piller. NONE of which are in the s13/s14/s15/r32/r33/r34.

048-5.jpg

Also in this pic you can see a lower cross member, very substantial from one side to the other, also not in the s13/s14/s15/r32/r33/r34.

052-5.jpg

So has the Z33 got the same layout as your nice family car there Polo?? Are the bulkheads the same?? :shrug:

Ive just done a quick search and these guys seem to think you can use a one piece: http://xyzsuspension.com/driftspec.html but Ive never heard of either ............. :dry:

Considering putting mine on CS2's atm, if you come up with something different I might be interested. :thumbs:

So has the Z33 got the same layout as your nice family car there Polo?? Are the bulkheads the same?? :shrug:

Ive just done a quick search and these guys seem to think you can use a one piece: http://xyzsuspension.com/driftspec.html but Ive never heard of either ............. :dry:

Considering putting mine on CS2's atm, if you come up with something different I might be interested. :thumbs:

Cheers Doc, the most helpfull info iv had on this thread :) that 1st kit uses 12/5 springs so me going for 14/7 seams about right :D

No i think there differant, the floor cross beam might be there but im really not sure, not seen a Z stripped out.

Il be using HSD mate, which are CS2's. If you ask the supplier (DW) they will order you a set of coilover rears.

Im tempted, I have to say but I dont want the car too hard and crashy - it barely ever sees a track although the rear slips out under power sometimes ;)

Bon reckons the HSD/CS's are fairly gentle for a coilover, Im in two minds at the moment. Ill tell you who Id be speaking to if I were you - http://www.rjnmotorsport.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=65 these fellers run a Z33 in GT$ (pretty successfully as well) and as you can see appear to have developed their own suspension.

I had a good chat with them at Goodwood a couple of years ago and they were genuinely nice guys - maybe see if they have got any more info that might be useful for you. BTW, my fee for this information is a cheeky blat when youve got the car finished - Kens car drifted pretty well with 650hp, be interesting to try another ......... :D

Im tempted, I have to say but I dont want the car too hard and crashy - it barely ever sees a track although the rear slips out under power sometimes ;)

Bon reckons the HSD/CS's are fairly gentle for a coilover, Im in two minds at the moment. Ill tell you who Id be speaking to if I were you - http://www.rjnmotorsport.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=65 these fellers run a Z33 in GT$ (pretty successfully as well) and as you can see appear to have developed their own suspension.

I had a good chat with them at Goodwood a couple of years ago and they were genuinely nice guys - maybe see if they have got any more info that might be useful for you. BTW, my fee for this information is a cheeky blat when youve got the car finished - Kens car drifted pretty well with 650hp, be interesting to try another ......... :D

Cheers man!!

In regard to driving it once its done!! Feck you!! I asked for a go in your Z loads of times and you said no!! :rant: lol

the spring rate on a true setup out back really has nothing to do with the spring rate of a spring in the stock location as everything changes

typically you'll be using a spring that's 50% of the front, but it will be alot of trial and error

make sure you're using the correct arms to eliminate the rear spring bucket, as well as upgrading all the suspension mount bushings out back, as they will go bad, they were never intended to deal with the forces that a true rear coilover will generate

• 1 year later...

Thread resurection, oops.

For people who have fitted true coilovers since this, have there been issues? Have people taken the extra steps suggested above, or been fine without it? First time Ive read about this, and I was intending on fitting HSD HRs in the future, so any advice/experience would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I had some HSDs fitted last week but only just seen this thread. :blush:

The bushes failing doesn't worry me too much as they can hopefully be replaced fairly easily should the need arise. Damage to the top mounts or movement of the inner wing doesn't sound so good though. :scare:

Neither Driftworks or Jez at Horsham Developments where they were fitted mentioned any of these potential issues but then they aren't a common choice it seems.