Front Tyre Scrubbing

Rob Gaskin

My 370 suffers from front wheel scrubbing on full lock. On full lock the wheel geometry seems wrong - the tyres scrub. The tyre appears to grip for as long as it can and then it gives way and I get a thud as it lets go. I get this on my 240 trackday car with trackday tyres and spacers but this seems wrong on a standard road car.

My 350Z didn't suffer from this. I also get tramlining in the 370 when I cross white lines or joins in tarmac.

Anybody else get these issues.

I'm thinking of getting the stealer to check wheel aligment, it's just had it's first service (12 mths/3.5k mls)

Its down to the standard geometry. I get this in reverse, and in this cold weather I get it going forward. Colins did it when I had a go in his too.

I'm guessing in Nissans attempt to make the turning circle better they allow the wheels to go further than they really should as at full lock the angle of the tyres means you dont have any real contact patch. Fine for day to day manouvering I guess.

As Chris found out with mine when I first got it, that was a bit disconcerting when I never experienced it with the 2 previous 350's. But have to say, after 7k miles I guess the front tyres have worn sufficently for it not to be noticeable now.

If you read the US forums you will see it was a similar concern over the pond.

What is more 'irritating' is the tramlining sensation that I get at low speed, whether using the standard wheels/(non directional) 050A's Stones or the 19" Nismo's with the (directional) 452 Falkens. And still there after after a 4-wheel laser check. But might ask Abbey to see if they can offer a geometry change to remove it, although I have to say the corner turn in/grip is excellent - as good if not better than the 350's so I would certainly not want to compromise that.

• 1 month later...

not a 370 I know but on my BMW325 three years ago I replaced the originall tyres for Pirelli P6's as soon as I drove the car home I noticed the car tramlining on the white road markings I put up with it until 3 weeks ago when I needed another set of tyres this time I had a read up and went for Contis which is what BMW fit as standard, boy it's totally changed the car back to how it was even the wife who knows bugger all about cars has constantly remarked how nice it drives now.

Further to what I last posted, with the cold weather the 'scrubbing' has appeared again on full lock, so there is definitely some connection with tyre temperature.

And yes, the tramlining is annoying me more, notwithstanding the check/adjustment by Nissan, so as Mark (Abbey) has suggested looks like I need to make an appointment there ;)

When I first bought my 350 in the summer I went to show my mate he just bought a 08 Z4 3 litre coupe we both drove each other cars, blimey I was fighting with it down the country lanes it wanted to pull everywhere it really put me off the car, he then drove mine and could not believe how good and precise it drove I was well chuffed :teeth:

ace, it's good to know that a Z4 is not perfect but have you driven a 370? My 350 was far better behaved on uneven surfaces.

I have to agree with that, I'm finding the 370z a bit of a hand full on bumpy roads. I think the Mazda 6 estate I have would be quicker road some of the back roads round here!

• 2 weeks later...